New package handlers questions

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.

Are all of these or any of them good? I haven't received a call from HR yet telling me what I'll need so I don't know what the requirements of my hub are. Opting for #1 tho if these would work

What about these gloves?
I use those exact ones I go through a pair every week

ResetSouthBelt

California

Where do you keep all your stuff? If I were to bring a large water bottle, do I just carry it around with me or do you get assigned a temp locker for the day or something?
Go to Walmart and get a decent sized cooler…..And put some food in there too…..I normally do beef sticks or the large pringles cans

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Whats your guys sleep schedule like for those working late?

I'll be 10 PM to 4 AM
Winter I would take advantage of the early sunset to split your sleep from 5pm to 8:30pm or so and then another from 5am to 10am.
Summer you might just have to tank it all after work for 6 hours and take a 2PM siesta nap as needed.

J.D. Hogg

🥾You can wear either Steel-toed or Composite-toed boots -- it's your preference and wallet.
Timberland-style boots are the most commonly worn. They have alot of different makes & models on their website. Buy the best you can afford, such as waterproof, insulated, etc.
IMPORTANT: Buy a size bigger to be comfortable, and the extra room will accommodate thick socks in winter.

Always dress in layers, and don't wear anything that you don't want ruined.

NEVER wear any jewelry -- it's a safety hazard.

Most pre-loaders & drivers carry a small backpack or soft-type cooler.

Bring at least a half gallon of whatever to drink. Anything less is not enough.

These things aren't required, but will make your life easier:
Grippy-type gloves​
Razor knives​
Black Sharpie markers​
A wristwatch -- leave the cell phone in the car; you won't have time for it anyway.​
And of course, bring snacks. 🍕

meritocracy

Whats your guys sleep schedule like for those working late?

I'll be 10 PM to 4 AM
I sleep a couple hours after UPS and a few hours after my other job. When you first start they're probably not gonna have you stay very late. Just remember that when a supervisor says something like "do you wanna go home?" or "you can clock out" you can always say "I'd like to stay if that's possible" and get more hours. You get paid 1.5x your hourly rate after 5 hours too. Work as long as you can don't let supervisors send us all home and then do our jobs. If you do see a supervisor doing our work you can ask them to stop. If they keep doing union work, keep track of the time and file a grievance and you'll get paid double for the amount of time that supervisor did union work.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
HR told me we got temp lockers, just gotta bring my own lock. Are we allowed to come in with a backpack?
I don't know how yours is, but at my center which is in the "hood",They allow backpacks some people wear their backpacks everywhere even to the bathroom💡 I am pretty sure my center gets ripped off.I just bring a collapsible cooler with my water and take advantage of the ice machine.

sorryJack

4 days of classroom training and signing paperworks, get assigned to unload, finally hit the floor, work for maybe an hour and unload a whole trailer and then get sent home because there is no one to train me :confused: Goin good so far!

Don't feel like quitting yet, unload is pretty easy. Just gotta embrace the suck and the aching you'll have after the shift since your body isn't use to it yet

meritocracy

Don't bring in a knife lmao I can't believe someone suggested that. At my facility security will pull you into their office and make you severely late for work for that :censored2:. May even try to get you fired for it.

sorryJack

Ngl yall seeing that first paycheck made me ask my self why the hell I'm breaking my back for this crap pay. A friend of mine is still getting $900 bi-weekly on unemployment right now (they're still out cause of covid), meanwhile I'm barely gonna hit $300 bi-weekly, if at all some weeks

Also sucks (for me, good for you guys) to hear some of the new hires in other states are getting paid in the 20s for package handler while it's only 15 here in the most expensive state yours truly California!

No plans on quitting yet tho. Gonna pick up a day job too.

nWo

4 days of classroom training and signing paperworks, get assigned to unload, finally hit the floor, work for maybe an hour and unload a whole trailer and then get sent home because there is no one to train me :confused: Goin good so far!

Don't feel like quitting yet, unload is pretty easy. Just gotta embrace the suck and the aching you'll have after the shift since your body isn't use to it yet

4 days of classroom training?!?