New package handlers questions

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Ngl yall seeing that first paycheck made me ask my self why the hell I'm breaking my back for this crap pay. A friend of mine is still getting $900 bi-weekly on unemployment right now (they're still out cause of covid), meanwhile I'm barely gonna hit $300 bi-weekly, if at all some weeks

Also sucks (for me, good for you guys) to hear some of the new hires in other states are getting paid in the 20s for package handler while it's only 15 here in the most expensive state yours truly California!

No plans on quitting yet tho. Gonna pick up a day job too.
It gets better enjoy your 300 dollar check.first check every month union dues -38.00 rest of the month initiation fees -25.00 per week

Unknown1234

Ngl yall seeing that first paycheck made me ask my self why the hell I'm breaking my back for this crap pay. A friend of mine is still getting $900 bi-weekly on unemployment right now (they're still out cause of covid), meanwhile I'm barely gonna hit $300 bi-weekly, if at all some weeks

Also sucks (for me, good for you guys) to hear some of the new hires in other states are getting paid in the 20s for package handler while it's only 15 here in the most expensive state yours truly California!

You definitely need a day time job if you want to make it at UPS for the long run. I had to get a full-time and have UPS until the driving came up.

upser2020

My first month was just base hours around 22 to 24 per week after that I've always gotten overtime. With a little patience and luck you probably can average enough overtime to get by on just ups income.

meritocracy

Hang in there. It's worth it in the long run. Ability to make $100k+ as an RPCD or feeder driver or a decent buck as a 22.3. Plus...new contract coming up in 2023. Until then just work safely, get all the OT you can (pretty sure in California you get OT for anything over 5 hours) and file supervisor working grievances for easy money.

meritocracy

My first month was just base hours around 22 to 24 per week after that I've always gotten overtime. With a little patience and luck you probably can average enough overtime to get by on just ups income.
Depending on the cost of living in your area you can get by on this job if you double shift every day. Otherwise...nah.

sorryJack

and file supervisor working grievances for easy money.
This actually a thing? How would you get $$ out of it?

My supervisors "help" with unload just about every shift for like 2-3 mins and sometimes I see one of them on sort aisle working there. No one seems to care or be bothered by it, I don't think they're taking time from anyone else

Won't this just make them hate ya?

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
If you ever have issues/questions about the job, it is best to ask an experienced worker (not your supervisor) for help.
nah, go ahead and ask your supervisor too. comparing his answer to your knowledgeable coworkers' will tell you how much of an idiot they are. good supervisors will tell you if they don't know or at least preface their answer with that, morons will make up stupid :censored2: and state it confidently because they think saying they don't know sounds dumb. I have had both at UPS, much more of one kind than the other though.

meritocracy

This actually a thing? How would you get $$ out of it?

My supervisors "help" with unload just about every shift for like 2-3 mins and sometimes I see one of them on sort aisle working there. No one seems to care or be bothered by it, I don't think they're taking time from anyone else

Won't this just make them hate ya?
Here's a good guide. You file the grievance through your own local and most of the time they can get you paid for the time the supervisor did union work. Some of them will act a little pissed but ultimately you're showing them that you don't put up with any of their BS and that you won't let them friend* with you or your union brothers and sisters. Filing grievances when appropriate is a lot better for you in the long run than kissing ass. When supes do our jobs they're stealing hours from people who want them so they can please their boss or get a bonus. Make UPS Pay for Supervisors Working

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Any recommendations on where to buy cheap shirts for work from that u can put in a washing machine?
I used to get shirts from UPS almost every month. 1/2,500, PD of the month, Master Pick off, peak shirts. I had a drawer full of UPS shirts that I wore into work so I didn’t have to mess up my own tee’s. This stopped about 10 years ago. They don’t give out shirts anymore.

And don’t even get me started on the turkeys.