New package handlers questions

sorryJack

Got a new person on my shift, they barely hit their benefits, they're a pt supervisor on another shift, currently double shifting. I thought you'd give a double shift to someone with more seniority over a part timer barely over 9 months. They said they're here to train new hires, I got paired up with them a couple times now, I'm well over 30 days now so it was like alright whatever. Their "training" was them telling me to make sure I'm matching their pace :rolleyes: I haven't really seen them do anything with any new hires, saw them working with people with months/years of experience though. This count as a sup doing union work? Cause that's all they've done all shift all week

Got a new person on my shift, they barely hit their benefits, they're a pt supervisor on another shift, currently double shifting. I thought you'd give a double shift to someone with more seniority over a part timer barely over 9 months. They said they're here to train new hires, I got paired up with them a couple times now, I'm well over 30 days now so it was like alright whatever. Their "training" was them telling me to make sure I'm matching their pace :rolleyes: I haven't really seen them do anything with any new hires, saw them working with people with months/years of experience though. This count as a sup doing union work? Cause that's all they've done all shift all week
Yes.

meritocracy

Yep. Here's what you do next time:

1. Ask their first and last name
2. Ask why they're loading/unloading/whatever
3. Ask them to let you do the work or get another member of the bargaining unit to do the work with you (they usually don't understand the words "bargaining unit" so you can say "you know, a package handler??? as in not a supe?"
4. They keep working you look at your watch very obviously and remember the time they started. When they stop working you look at your watch and remember the time they stopped.
5. When you're on break or you're done with your shift you write down their name, the explanation they gave you, and those times. Then you go and file the grievance with a grievance form from your local. A business agent or steward will take care of the rest for you and get you paid. If you never hear about it you can call your business agent and check on it.

Pretty easy process. Lots of fun.

Tron

bring a months supply of gloves and break in whatever shoes you are going to wear now to help at the start.
Find the old seniority folks and anybody else who seems abnormally well organized and attempt to replicate their work methods, do what they do to stay safe. Definitely a skills retention problem right now.