New preloader. Misloads and misc

Refloger86

So I’m on my second week at UPS and everything has gone well except my misloads are kind of up and down. First day I had three and two days ago I had 5 :-)censored:ty yes but the next day went a lot better. The rest of the days I’ve worked I’ve had 1-0 misloads. In reality I’ve only had one “bad day” on the jobs with misloads and such but it still worries me. I like the job and really would prefer not getting fired. I have usually have about 850-1000 packages a day. The work load doesn’t bother me I’m just scared I’ll end up getting canned over mis loads. It’s hard to tell if I’m doing a good job in the eyes of my sups. I usually expect to just get yelled at if I’m not doing good enough but that hasn’t happened. Any feed back would be nice.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
So I’m on my second week at UPS and everything has gone well except my misloads are kind of up and down. First day I had three and two days ago I had 5 :-)censored2:ty yes but the next day went a lot better. The rest of the days I’ve worked I’ve had 1-0 misloads. In reality I’ve only had one “bad day” on the jobs with misloads and such but it still worries me. I like the job and really would prefer not getting fired. I have usually have about 850-1000 packages a day. The work load doesn’t bother me I’m just scared I’ll end up getting canned over mis loads. It’s hard to tell if I’m doing a good job in the eyes of my sups. I usually expect to just get yelled at if I’m not doing good enough but that hasn’t happened. Any feed back would be nice.
Dont worry about it

Refloger86

UPS will never give you positive feedback. Just keep working at it and work safe.
UPS will never give you positive feedback. Just keep working at it and work safe.
Honestly it’s not so much the positive feed back I’m talking about. I’ve gotten a some at the end of my first couple of days. I’m talking about is if my loads looked like crap the day before or not or on misloads(they post how many you had the day before but you don’t seem to hear about it directly. I’d rather have the driver I pack for or my sup give me some negative feed back if my loads look like crap. I kinda expected working at UPS being a place you get yelled at over mistakes a lot (not saying that’s a bad thing either) but that really hasn’t happened.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
Occasional lurker, registered just to reply to this..

I've seen A LOT of posts that relate to management being a bunch of <won't even say it on cable>, is it really that bad for people??

I'm a PDS and I treat my drivers great. I try to keep us all motivated and in a decent mood, acknowledge them when they tore it up on a route and ORION actually worked out.
Are other managers/sups generally...disliked??

And to the OP, you're fine man. Getting fired for those misloads is very unlikely. If you feel comfortable, bring it up to your supervisor. Talk to others and ask them for advice on how to keep your numbers good.

Indecisi0n

Honestly it’s not so much the positive feed back I’m talking about. I’ve gotten a some at the end of my first couple of days. I’m talking about is if my loads looked like crap the day before or not or on misloads(they post how many you had the day before but you don’t seem to hear about it directly. I’d rather have the driver I pack for or my sup give me some negative feed back if my loads look like crap. I kinda expected working at UPS being a place you get yelled at over mistakes a lot (not saying that’s a bad thing either) but that really hasn’t happened.
They car about PPH and misloads. They don't care about load quality anymore. That being said, poor load quality will piss the driver off but keep in mind he isn't your boss.

Indecisi0n

Occasional lurker, registered just to reply to this..

I've seen A LOT of posts that relate to management being a bunch of <won't even say it on cable>, is it really that bad for people??

I'm a PDS and I treat my drivers great. I try to keep us all motivated and in a decent mood, acknowledge them when they tore it up on a route and ORION actually worked out.
Are other managers/sups generally...disliked??
If that's true you are the minority not the majority of management. Keep it up because workers will work harder for you when treated fairly. Boss's that demand hard work and cause a hostile work environment get less work out of it's workers.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
If that's true you are the minority not the majority of management. Keep it up because workers will work harder for you when treated fairly. Boss's that demand hard work and cause a hostile work environment get less work out of it's workers.

I hear ya. I don't care much for being a dick for the sake of being a dick. Or power trippers. I've managed to get my facility away from the "them vs us" mentality and we all seem to work much better now. I have a background in Law Enforcement and Corrections, so maybe I'm used to the "respect above all else" mentality. But yeah, I feel for you guys that have to put up with BS. :\

Indecisi0n

I hear ya. I don't care much for being a dick for the sake of being a dick. Or power trippers. I've managed to get my facility away from the "them vs us" mentality and we all seem to work much better now. I have a background in Law Enforcement and Corrections, so maybe I'm used to the "respect above all else" mentality. But yeah, I feel for you guys that have to put up with BS. :\
It's a constant fight every day. While in package I have only had one manager that I respected and went out of my way to help when needed. The rest i went out of my way to make their lives harder. Haha.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
It's a constant fight every day. While in package I have only had one manager that I respected and went out of my way to help when needed. The rest i went out of my way to make their lives harder. Haha.

From what I've seen myself, most managers have this aura of "I'm sooo important!". I spent some time training in Mesa, AZ and holy rusted metal Batman, the boys and girls in brown were on it while the sups stood around and had other people doing their jobs.

But I agree with ya, you can't treat someone like :censored2: and expect them to go above and beyond for you.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
So I’m on my second week at UPS and everything has gone well except my misloads are kind of up and down. First day I had three and two days ago I had 5 :-)censored2:ty yes but the next day went a lot better. The rest of the days I’ve worked I’ve had 1-0 misloads. In reality I’ve only had one “bad day” on the jobs with misloads and such but it still worries me. I like the job and really would prefer not getting fired. I have usually have about 850-1000 packages a day. The work load doesn’t bother me I’m just scared I’ll end up getting canned over mis loads. It’s hard to tell if I’m doing a good job in the eyes of my sups. I usually expect to just get yelled at if I’m not doing good enough but that hasn’t happened. Any feed back would be nice.
Each vehicle is going to be different to load. Your coworkers (drivers, nearby preloaders) probably know your pull of cars much better than your training supervisors.

For now ask each driver what their first 3 big/important stops are so you can practice keeping them grouped together and easily accessable through the front/rear door. The goal eventually would be to keep the vast majority of stops grouped and can be accessed delivery order

Find a very high seniority preloader or some scum driver that arrives early to sort their load if you need good examples of how to play tetris.

Last edited:

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
If the load looks like crap the driver will be the first one to approach you and tell you his or her concerns about the truck. Keep doing the best you can and try to find what works for you and stick with it. My advice is talk to the driver not the sup about positive feed back and suggestions you will learn more by doing this.

Refloger86

If the load looks like crap the driver will be the first one to approach you and tell you his or her concerns about the truck. Keep doing the best you can and try to find what works for you and stick with it. My advice is talk to the driver not the sup about positive feed back and suggestions you will learn more by doing this.
Okay thanks for that. In all honesty my biggest concern is my misloads. I know I’m new and all I just don’t want misloads to end up being the reason I don’t make it passed 30 days.

Indecisi0n

Okay thanks for that. In all honesty my biggest concern is my misloads. I know I’m new and all I just don’t want misloads to end up being the reason I don’t make it passed 30 days.
Building a good relationship with the driver is key here because he can tell you what type of misload you had. Maybe it was an out of sync or some other unusual situation. One of my loaders and I had such a good relationship that if I had a misload that was close I wouldn't even send it in but rather just deliver it. Or I would meet the driver who it went to for lunch and just give it to him. The loaders that I hated I had a smile every time I sent them in.

Refloger86

Building a good relationship with the driver is key here because he can tell you what type of misload you had. Maybe it was an out of sync or some other unusual situation.
I’m new so what’s the different type of misloads. All I’ve heard about while working is box’s going on the wrong truck.

Indecisi0n

I’m new so what’s the different type of misloads. All I’ve heard about while working is box’s going on the wrong truck.
Out of sync is having the wrong pal put on the box. So the pal says it goes to your truck but the real address (on the box label) is different from the pal causing an out of sync misload.

Refloger86

Out of sync is having the wrong pal put on the box. So the pal says it goes to your truck but the real address (on the box label) is different from the pal causing an out of sync misload.
Do those end up counting against you? Because I got trained just to look at the truck number. Two of my trucks are the same city just different areas of it and the other is a rural one that is spread out with multiple small towns.