New seatbelt and bulkhead door sensors

Bad Gas!

I think a better investment would be more pkg cars on road.Even if drivers are under dispatched by UPS allowances they can save a bundle on overtime pay.Keep the backup vehicles on the yard ready to go..Ditch the dinosars(non power steering arm breakers)!

BigBrownSanta

This has been planned for a long time. My P7 was built in September, 2005. Check out the wiring harness coming out of the floor behind my seat. Its not hooked up, and there are a few extra wiring bundles throughout the car.

I don't know about that wiring harness, but I gotta say, that is one clean looking truck. Can I borrow your car washer for a week?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Some trucking companies use the camera that looks at the driver all day long. Wouldn't that be fun. If you want to eliminate excessive braking, speeding and all the others, leaving before 9 with about 25 less stops ought to do the trick.

New Englander

I can't wait to the sensor start to malfunction and the drivers start getting blamed for stuff there not doing.

Absolutely correct! Also why the Union will not honor this crap.

I drive along all day with my seat belt on and the NEW workhorse telling me to put it on.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about that wiring harness, but I gotta say, that is one clean looking truck. Can I borrow your car washer for a week?

Sure, I'll come up if you foot the bill. Our Car Wash doesn't wash cars, they need to rename that shift. My P7 is 3 years old and has 102K miles on it. A couple of times I have pulled it into a commercial car wash and sprayed out the cab. I work in this thing all day, I hate trash filled package cars. I do windows too!

705red

Browncafe Steward
When the virtual time studies all go into affect you will not get time for opening and closing the door, you will not get the time for putting on the seat belt, you will not get the time for starting the truck if you leave it running, if you leave your belt hang all day and if you dont close your doors. A couple of seconds here and there per every method at every stop and your allowance is now crap!

None of these should be happening anyways! If you do do this, than start to retrain your selves to follow the methods. Leaving the bulk head door open in unsafe, package can very easily fall out into the street. If you leave the door open while your in a stop someone could steal or even worse place a package wired to explode and hurt you or even take out a plane 10,000 feet over your house (if its an air).

Wear your seatbelt not because ups tells you to, do it because you want to make it home safe at night to kiss your young bride and kids!

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Question: In the newer P57's with the back doors that swing out,are we supposed to back up to a dock within a foot,open the bulkhead,swing the back doors open,walk to the front,close the bulkhead,do up the seatbelt,back up a foot take off the seatbelt,open the bulkhead and do the pickup?

Obviously, yes, I always have.

ol'browneye

Question: In the newer P57's with the back doors that swing out,are we supposed to back up to a dock within a foot,open the bulkhead,swing the back doors open,walk to the front,close the bulkhead,do up the seatbelt,back up a foot take off the seatbelt,open the bulkhead and do the pickup?

Yes, that's what they pay you to do! I unload into a feeder every night at our satelite. I back up, turn off engine, unbuckle, open doors, buckle up, turn on engine, back up a foot, unbuckle again and unload. I don't think our trucks are live yet but you never know who's watching. Might as well get in the habit now!

ol'browneye

Absolutely correct! Also why the Union will not honor this crap.

I drive along all day with my seat belt on and the NEW workhorse telling me to put it on.

Thank God my beeper is broken in my workhorse 57!!!!!!!!

The mechanic said they weren't allowed to disable the beepers but they wouldn't have to fix them if they broke!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Sure, I'll come up if you foot the bill. Our Car Wash doesn't wash cars, they need to rename that shift. My P7 is 3 years old and has 102K miles on it. A couple of times I have pulled it into a commercial car wash and sprayed out the cab. I work in this thing all day, I hate trash filled package cars. I do windows too!

same here. Mine is due to be cleaned out, especially the cab. Been a while since I cleaned the cab out. A friend of mine owns a car wash/detail shop on my area so I sometimes pull in and use the pressure washer to clean out the cab. I've even pressure washed the cargo area Mine gets very dusty and disgusting from all the dirt roads.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree with you all.

BUT

Obviously UPS is going to set the goal at 100%

Now maybe you are all better drivers than me, but when people are getting fired when they lapse once-in-a-great-while, It might get ugly union-wise.

Plus with a whole batch of DHL drivers waiting for a job :anxious: :anxious:

They cant fire you based solely upon what the sensors say.

If the sensors say that you arent following the methods then they will come out and do some on-area observations, with a camera. That is what will get you fired.

The bottom line is that the vehicle belongs to UPS and they can put whatever gadgets on it that they choose to. You should not have an expectation of privacy while on the clock in a company vehicle.

The really frustrating part for me...is that we are talking about a company that made a business decision that the life of its driver wasnt worth the extra $40 that it would have cost to install a 3 point seat belt in the older cars. To this day UPS refuses to retrofit these vehicles to meet even a minimum standard of safety....but they can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to play Big Brother.

BigBrownSanta

Yeah, I understand. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't clean my truck, but I do clean the windows at least once a week.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yeah, I understand. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't clean my truck, but I do clean the windows at least once a week.

I clean my PC usually at least once a month and do the Windows as needed.
Went to an optical mouse so I don't have to clean my ball like I use to.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Can UPS use "technology" such as the DIAD or onboard recorders, etc. for disciplinary purposes? I thought there was something in the contract that stated they couldn't use the data they collected as the sole criteria.

On a personal note, I take my hat off to anyone who drives a package car. The level of micro-management is reaching an unprecedented level. I got out of package just as EDD started because I saw the writing on the wall. In order to pay for their fancy system they would have to ramp up production. Now, with GPS in the boards and sensors all over the package car I am glad more than ever that I transferred.

Funny thing, I am a "method man". My shop stewarts liked me because I never gave them any problems and did the job correctly. Management liked me because I did my route consistently well. But I'll admit, the intense mental and physical pressure was just too much to bear anymore. And unfortunately, the more money we make and the greater the disparity in compensation compared with our competition, the more they are going to put the screws to us.

In Feeders, we have the onboard computer, the IVIS, to contend with that records everything we do. But I do not find it too oppressive as we are given more realistic allowances to get the job done. If there is a delay we can record it under "Central Sort" which bills the time to the building that is delaying us. Knock on wood I hope they don't sic I.E. on us next!

Hangingon

At the PCM, didn't they tell you what they were measuring?

Here's a list:

Seat belt usage
Backing (excessive)
Time spend idling
harsh braking
Bulkhead door open while driving (I think)
using DIAD while driving
Speeding
Going off area for lunch

So, wear your seat belt, follow methods, drive safely, turn off your engine at a stop, and follow your local rules for where and when to take lunch.

1500 drivers have this installed right now, and based on those results there is a lot of room for improvement in these elements.

If you're already doing these things correctly that's great. Hopefully the attention will make your fellow drivers as good as you.

P-Man

Does that mean if you want to look at the next few stops while stopped in traffic you should pull off the road turn off the car then turn your DIAD on?
I'm also curious how many off those 1500 drivers are less then an hour over.