New seatbelt and bulkhead door sensors

In Feeders, we have the onboard computer, the IVIS, to contend with that records everything we do. But I do not find it too oppressive as we are given more realistic allowances to get the job done. If there is a delay we can record it under "Central Sort" which bills the time to the building that is delaying us. Knock on wood I hope they don't sic I.E. on us next!

I.E. can say all they want,the law is the law. Drive the speed limit,follow the rules,as long as the wheels are rolling there ain`t much they can do.

pretzel_man

Does that mean if you want to look at the next few stops while stopped in traffic you should pull off the road turn off the car then turn your DIAD on?
I'm also curious how many off those 1500 drivers are less then an hour over.

The system will check if the car is moving while the DIAD is being used.

I don't know the overallowed of the 1500 drivers.

P-Man

browndevil

I clean my PC usually at least once a month and do the Windows as needed.
Went to an optical mouse so I don't have to clean my ball like I use to.
Hoax it's posts like this, that is why I read ALL you responses. This is funny:happy2: There should be a bottle of California red headed your way my friend

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They cant fire you based solely upon what the sensors say.

If the sensors say that you arent following the methods then they will come out and do some on-area observations, with a camera. That is what will get you fired.

The bottom line is that the vehicle belongs to UPS and they can put whatever gadgets on it that they choose to. You should not have an expectation of privacy while on the clock in a company vehicle.

The really frustrating part for me...is that we are talking about a company that made a business decision that the life of its driver wasnt worth the extra $40 that it would have cost to install a 3 point seat belt in the older cars. To this day UPS refuses to retrofit these vehicles to meet even a minimum standard of safety....but they can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to play Big Brother.

sober, did you know someone who died as a result of not having a 3 pt belt??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
When the virtual time studies all go into affect you will not get time for opening and closing the door, you will not get the time for putting on the seat belt, you will not get the time for starting the truck if you leave it running, if you leave your belt hang all day and if you dont close your doors. A couple of seconds here and there per every method at every stop and your allowance is now crap!

None of these should be happening anyways! If you do do this, than start to retrain your selves to follow the methods. Leaving the bulk head door open in unsafe, package can very easily fall out into the street. If you leave the door open while your in a stop someone could steal or even worse place a package wired to explode and hurt you or even take out a plane 10,000 feet over your house (if its an air).

Wear your seatbelt not because ups tells you to, do it because you want to make it home safe at night to kiss your young bride and kids!

All this is going to hurt are the runners who cant speed or keep the bulkhead door open anymore. Hey, maybe they might have to keep a few more routes in because johnny runner isnt going to be able to go 45 down the residential drive.

rod

Retired 22 years
All this is going to hurt are the runners who cant speed or keep the bulkhead door open anymore. Hey, maybe they might have to keep a few more routes in because johnny runner isnt going to be able to go 45 down the residential drive.

How long have you been at UPS? You should know by now that they will make exceptions for the runners:peaceful:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
All I will say is that UPS will take care of who they want

The UNION has (had) a chance to take care of the employee

Hoffa left a gaping hole in the last 2 elections, let not there be a third

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ive seen runners pulled into the office like everyone else. They usually do themselves in somehow, either mentally or physically. You know the ones, first theyre wearing a knee brace, then a month later a wrist brace, then theyre on light duty running misloads around. Usually the runners are on many of the sups lists for misloads, customer complaints, missed pickups and on call airs. Dont kid yourself, they like the production but when the same names keep popping up on multiple reports people take notice. There seem to be a few who finally get a clue after a while though....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
sober, did you know someone who died as a result of not having a 3 pt belt??

Not yet. Hopefully not ever.

There is a driver on my center who was hit head on at 50 mph by a woman in an SUV who drifted into his lane on a blind corner. She died at the scene. Our driver was in a 1997 model year P-700...with the 3 point belt. The entire front of the package car was destroyed, but the 3 point belt saved his life. His only injury was a fractured ankle.

When I sit in a P500 or an older P1000 with only the lap belt, I can lean forward while wearing the lap belt and rest my forehead against the windshield while my chin contacts the top of the dashboard. If I am ever in a head-on collision while driving one of those they will be hosing my brains off of the hood. if I am in a rollover, I will be flailed about like a rag doll, secured in the seat while my head smashes into the bulkhead, the steering wheel, the side door. The combination of the low-back seat and the missing shoulder belt mean that the older package cars are essentially worthless as far as offering the driver any real protection in an accident.

stringerman85

What I don't understand is what makes them feel it's necessary to add all this crap to the trucks anyway? Do our drivers really get into that many accidents? With all the safety training that is shoved down our throats that should be enough to prevent atleast 99% of the drivers who are safe from accidents. If they feel a driver isn't wearing a seat belt then why punish everybody? Our centers hardly have any accidents what so ever in the first place and the accidents that I see our usually small :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: that will not be resolved even if there were stupid devices inside the truck...Sounds like a waste of money..Even though you follow all the methods which you should, This kind of crap that UPS does including all the other BS about the job almost makes you ask yourself, Is this :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: really worth it? Like you say if you're doing everything correct than you have nothing to worry about but jesus what if ya make one little itty bitty mistake (not including an accident) but you know what I mean, Now there's sensors to get you in trouble..Hmm Makes you wonder if a article 22 job is the way to go huh, Less stress

deepsouthmamaw

At the PCM, didn't they tell you what they were measuring?

Here's a list:

Seat belt usage
Backing (excessive)
Time spend idling
harsh braking
Bulkhead door open while driving (I think)
using DIAD while driving
Speeding
Going off area for lunch

So, wear your seat belt, follow methods, drive safely, turn off your engine at a stop, and follow your local rules for where and when to take lunch.

1500 drivers have this installed right now, and based on those results there is a lot of room for improvement in these elements.

If you're already doing these things correctly that's great. Hopefully the attention will make your fellow drivers as good as you.

P-Man

deepsouthmamaw

add to the list excessive turn on of diad it shortens battery life and rideing the clutch we were threatend with a warning letter if we burn clutch in an untimley manner

trickpony1

It's Feeder not "Feeders"

So now you drive 70 feet of tractor trailer?

"Feeder" or "Feeders", either term is applicable.
My "feeder" (singular for one vehicle) can be as long as 100 feet (plural for "foot") and wiggle in 3 to 5 places.
Stress? Yes, but even a bad day in "feeders" (plural or collective term for "feeder") is better than a good day "pkg cars" (plural or collective term for one vehicle, person or department).

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
UPS cannot use any information gained electronically (GPS in DIAD, these sensors in the PC, backup light sensors, micro-camera pointed at the driver) to discipline employees. This is in writing - it is also completely meaningless.

What UPS CAN do is use the electronic information as a tip-off - Joe's PC seems to be put in reverse way too often, let's follow him for a day - and if Joe is seen screwing up, then there is discipline.

It has been said previously here - correctly - that 1)If you are following the rules, you have nothing to worry about, and 2)The PC is owned by UPS, they can install whatever they want.

It is not the Big-Brother aspect that bothers me, but the complete and total disregard for employee morale. When employees are told there will be cuts, layoffs, but we're spending a fortune on ways to check up on you, that just ain't good. Happy employees make a better company, can there be any argument against that?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
This is my first post ever so I will add more to it as the thread goes on

heffe????? are you confused as to who you are posting as? :wink2:

as for the installs, face it. each year we have several drivers that get the one way ticket to the pine box bedroom. and some are there because they dont wear the belts all the time.

it is one of the most senseless ways to die at ups. so preventable.

and yes, while we are trained, probably more than any other group of drivers, every day i see drivers that are not using the training. one driver who i see several times a day, 99% of the time has his cell to his ear, bulkhead open, no belt. i dont want to be the one to tell his daughter why her dad isnt coming home.

then we are also talking about those drivers that do abuse their vehicle. and yes, they do fire people for that, and rightly so. three tranny's, a blown engine, two broken windshields in four weeks on one driver? there is a serious issue there, and ups will find out what.

while the expense is large, the cost of burying one driver because of no seat belt is much higher. or having a driver on the cell back over a kid in the driveway.

it will also assist ups when doing the investigation of an accident. it will give them a ton of info on what happened in the last few seconds before impact. for sure you dont want to be typing on your diad when it occurs. that might take what normally would just be an accidnet and change it to wreckless driving.

the system is not in place to harrass the good driver, it is to force the runner/gunner drivers to do things properly. but too many chose put that in the ignore function at work.

bottom line is this. you have been instructed on how to make deliveries. you have been instructed to wear seat belts and drive safely.

just do it!

d

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
It's Feeder not "Feeders"

So now you drive 70 feet of tractor trailer?

Maybe I should have used the singular?

Maybe after the initial stressful learning period of how to drive a tractor trailer the job is now less stressful to me than driving a package car?

Maybe your an ass?

Maybe I am for responding to you?

sx2700

Banned
Bottom Line is....UPS doesn't trust you. You are a bunch of incompetent children that can't think for yourself and will always make the wrong decision. It is amazing that you all can even get dressed and make it to work on your own. I heard that next year they will start running the short buses around to pick you all up just to make sure you haven't forgotten where to go. :wink2:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Danny
I had meant to say first thread ever.
I never could find the area to start a new one until that day.
It was too late to edit when I used "post" for "thread"
Im not 20 plus and pretending to be someone else:happy-very:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that we are to use seat belts
Its the law and should be followed.
And I've heard all the safety jargon about the bulkhead door.

It's the micromanaging of this with sensors and discipline that will become a huge factor. I deliver my business in the morning then I have about 110 residential stops after 12pm. These are nice neighborhoods, $300,000-$400,000 houses. I like to have the bulkhead door open once-in-a-while when I'm delivering these close homes. Is it a preferred method? No. But it makes my day just a little more easier. You can argue that Iraqi infedels will slip a box into my car while I deliver xmas presents. That's the UPS kool-aid your drinking. UPS is just covering their butts as usual.

This job is not easy and should be listed as one of the most stressful in the USA. We put up with a lot to get home to our families. Now we have to deal with getting pulled into the office because we didn't have a seat belt on between 25 and 29 Knollwood St. If you dont think they will discipline you with the sensors than you are a blind fool.