New Single System

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
That the idiots who apply the vision stickers like to cover up.
Yup, thank goodness our PAL stickers are easier to remove and relocate on the boxes... I had to move so many on chewy.com ones all.the.time.

U try that with a UPS PAL sticker??? They're cemented on the box

OrioN

isnt it much easier for package handlers to steal boxes now?? before we were the last ones to scan boxes....so 99.999 & if the box was on our scanner it was on our truck cause we put it there...now we have to trust the fedex employee of actually putting the boxes where they belong?

I thought your station will just have it on a pile

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yup, thank goodness our PAL stickers are easier to remove and relocate on the boxes... I had to move so many on chewy.com ones all.the.time.

U try that with a UPS PAL sticker??? They're cemented on the box

We have an option called Find BC which lets us enter any 4 consecutive digits (usually the last 4) of the tracking number rather than typing in all 18 digits if we are unable to scan the barcode. Do you have something similar available to you?

OrioN

I thought your station will just have it on a pile
For my route and 12' boxtruck, yep... standalone HD terminal. However, some denser routes have now switched to p1000s

Meaning their step vans will be preloaded by employees.

hmmmm no wonder I'm seeing more ground warehouse applicants every morning for the past month

OrioN

We have an option called Find BC which lets us enter any 4 consecutive digits (usually the last 4) of the tracking number rather than typing in all 18 digits if we are unable to scan the barcode. Do you have something similar available to you?

Nope, I have up to 30 something digits to manually enter if the barcode can't scan or is damaged...it sux donkey balls

OrioN

I like to have a GPS marker for the delivery though, so entering that tracking number at the POD will make it easier for driver follow ups.

Yeah I also have to do that when I forgot to scan a box at a stop...at the end of day process, and I could have missed it.

I just got to remember the time stamp of that delivery

Exec32

Perfect title...Single System.
You all are Fedex Employees. IC was a fraud, ISP is no different. As a matter of fact the control that exist between you and your one customer only becomes more evident as you identify the conduct of both parties, not the fradulant illegal business model supported by a still unconsciousable unenforcable contract.
Fedex controls you more now than they ever did, you just pay for more of your own expenses.

bbsam

Staff member
Perfect title...Single System.
You all are Fedex Employees. IC was a fraud, ISP is no different. As a matter of fact the control that exist between you and your one customer only becomes more evident as you identify the conduct of both parties, not the fradulant illegal business model supported by a still unconsciousable unenforcable contract.
Fedex controls you more now than they ever did, you just pay for more of your own expenses.
You could be 90% correct and the courts may never do anything to substantially change how contract business is done.

Name the last contractor/employee lawsuit that really shook how an industry behaved.

Exec32

You could be 90% correct and the courts may never do anything to substantially change how contract business is done.

Name the last contractor/employee lawsuit that really shook how an industry behaved.

The misclassification lawsuit against Fedex.....
Following those three decisions, FedEx changed legal course and decided to stop fighting and settle, resulting in these settlements totaling $453 million.

I think that qualifies.

And by the way, the implementation and now enforcement of this single system establishes a concentration of control that has only increased. Consistent to what courts have found to be just one of the problems.

bacha29

Following those three decisions, FedEx changed legal course and decided to stop fighting and settle, resulting in these settlements totaling $453 million.

I think that qualifies.

And by the way, the implementation and now enforcement of this single system establishes a concentration of control that has only increased. Consistent to what courts have found to be just one of the problems.
Knowing that they got off both cheaply and easily the result is a newly emboldened XG more determined than ever to reestablish the old command and control feudal/sharecropping system they enjoyed in the past. Disagree ? Then let's put it this way. What's there to stop them now?

Exec32

Knowing that they got off both cheaply and easily the result is a newly emboldened XG more determined than ever to reestablish the old command and control feudal/sharecropping system they enjoyed in the past. Disagree ? Then let's put it this way. What's there to stop them now?

I do agree they want to establish command and control, or more specifically retain it. I'm sure you can agree with increased exposure it is becoming more complex for Fedex to manipulate these arrangements.
It was relatively inexpensive for X to resolve the lawsuits, however I think you miss the point. They lost.
Who will stop them? Not who, but who and what.
Who...
Mounting lawsuits, DOJ, Federal and state labor departments, the public at large, choice in competition all will play a role in the decline of this model being used and X being a preferred service.
What will do it...
The continued loss of competitive advantage associated with the model. Competitors are using this same model. Damage to Brand, more significant than any other. Reduced ability to control, in contrast to customer demands.
Have you seen the trucks and drivers in your community. FedEx has become the ghetto provider.
Improvements in the economy and job market will reduce the available cheap labor. X will continue to demand more for less, contractors will take short cuts and avoid investing in expensive equipment, and the results will.continue to reflect on FedEx in a negative way. The Brand is not what it once was. I'm sure you can agree to some of that.
This will take some time, but I'm sure the goons in Nashville have already accounted for this. They will fill the coffers until the plug is pulled, by themselves or the market. In other words this is not a long term viable plan that X can continue to pursue as a fortune 500 company.

bacha29

I do agree they want to establish command and control, or more specifically retain it. I'm sure you can agree with increased exposure it is becoming more complex for Fedex to manipulate these arrangements.
It was relatively inexpensive for X to resolve the lawsuits, however I think you miss the point. They lost.
Who will stop them? Not who, but who and what.
Who...
Mounting lawsuits, DOJ, Federal and state labor departments, the public at large, choice in competition all will play a role in the decline of this model being used and X being a preferred service.
What will do it...
The continued loss of competitive advantage associated with the model. Competitors are using this same model. Damage to Brand, more significant than any other. Reduced ability to control, in contrast to customer demands.
Have you seen the trucks and drivers in your community. FedEx has become the ghetto provider.
Improvements in the economy and job market will reduce the available cheap labor. X will continue to demand more for less, contractors will take short cuts and avoid investing in expensive equipment, and the results will.continue to reflect on FedEx in a negative way. The Brand is not what it once was. I'm sure you can agree to some of that.
This will take some time, but I'm sure the goons in Nashville have already accounted for this. They will fill the coffers until the plug is pulled, by themselves or the market. In other words this is not a long term viable plan that X can continue to pursue as a fortune 500 company.
Indeed it does have an image problem.A guy once asked me what it was like working as a route contractor. My answer...."it falls in somewhere between trendy sharecropping and politically correct slavery".
At the same time I don't think that the guy at the other end cares much as long as what he ordered gets there in one piece and on time.
Keep in mind also, these rural mail carriers are also third party bid contractors. In the past they received a vehicle allowance to use their own rides but then USPS got the brainy idea of giving them those old worn out little letter cars. Not giving a rat's expletive deleted about when anything destined for the rural areas actually made it there they sent them out to the rural areas to save a nickel on vehicle allowance fees.

In fact for a number of years the UPS terminal in my area would park a truck designated for a low volume area and start filling it up with boxes over a several day period then call in a part timer shove him in and send him on his way. They honestly didn't care if he never came back.
As the demand for even lower shipping rates continues to ramp up there will continue to be efforts to respond to it and just as is the case with passenger airlines it will not be a pretty sight.

bbsam

Staff member

I think that qualifies.

The use of contracting throughout industries didn’t change because of that lawsuit. Fedex tweaked the model and rolled on. That’s the point. Contracting is a great advantage for companies in all kinds of industries. Occasionally there are lawsuits and companies get slapped on the wrist. But overall, lawmakers and courts don’t really seem to care.

Exec32

I agree they do not care.
I do believe though that contracting is essential to our economy. Done right it benefits all parties. Done wrong and you deteriorate the fundamental concept and value of contracting. Large corporations gain at the expense of you, small businesses, and the community. This abuse suppress wages, fosters corruption and ultimately harms small businesses. It is done right on many occasions, I just strongly believe that it must be called out and stopped when it is done willfully and intentionally wrong at the expense of everyone else.

HD219

I joined this forum just to reply to this post. I deliver HD in a very rural area. This week I averaged around 90 stops, 120 packages, 180 miles a day. Takes me about 6 hours delivery time to complete. I drive a sprinter and most days I have that thing completely full.
Anyway...our terminal is going to single system tomorrow. The only con for us HD drivers in sprinters is that it's going to be more difficult to locate a package without being able to write a huge sequence # on it. I locate a package as soon as I open the back doors no problem. Other than that, VRP is trash. Turn by turns are useless. I don't know of a single person that uses them. The maps are so off that if I were to follow it, I'd be passing 20 stops to get to the next one. Manifest is the only necessary pieces of paper we need. From what my boss explained to me and what I've read on here is that all the packages will be organized in clusters. That's how I'm going to load my van. I'll probably write the road names on my first 20 stops and then use the freed up space to spread out the next cluster.

I joined this forum just to reply to this post. I deliver HD in a very rural area. This week I averaged around 90 stops, 120 packages, 180 miles a day. Takes me about 6 hours delivery time to complete. I drive a sprinter and most days I have that thing completely full.
Anyway...our terminal is going to single system tomorrow. The only con for us HD drivers in sprinters is that it's going to be more difficult to locate a package without being able to write a huge sequence # on it. I locate a package as soon as I open the back doors no problem. Other than that, VRP is trash. Turn by turns are useless. I don't know of a single person that uses them. The maps are so off that if I were to follow it, I'd be passing 20 stops to get to the next one. Manifest is the only necessary pieces of paper we need. From what my boss explained to me and what I've read on here is that all the packages will be organized in clusters. That's how I'm going to load my van. I'll probably write the road names on my first 20 stops and then use the freed up space to spread out the next cluster.

Break it down by neighborhood. Write the address in abreviation on the box like a sequence number. Once u grasp it ull b ok. 90 stops 180 miles? Lot of freeway to get there or all rural? Just be careful cuz a handler may forget to scan a package to ur van. By the time u realize u may be a loooong way away! U will have to be more dilligent loading and remembering what u put on there..

HD219

Break it down by neighborhood. Write the address in abreviation on the box like a sequence number. Once u grasp it ull b ok. 90 stops 180 miles? Lot of freeway to get there or all rural? Just be careful cuz a handler may forget to scan a package to ur van. By the time u realize u may be a loooong way away! U will have to be more dilligent loading and remembering what u put on there..
20 miles freeway. The rest is all rural.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
From what my boss explained to me and what I've read on here is that all the packages will be organized in cluster:censored2:s. That's how I'm going to load my van. I'll probably write the road names on my first 20 stops and then use the freed up space to spread out the next clusterf**ck.
I think this what your boss REALLY meant.