New Single System

sadmanhere

Sandman,
You can’t argue with iwbf or bbsam, because whatever x does or says to them is ok. They have eliminated common sense and just swallow whatever x rams down their throat. Of coarse vrp saves time on being able to locate boxes on the truck and the especially on training someone.

its so clear cut and dry....that vrp saves time on locating boxes and training someone...and also allows drivers to interchange easily ...

forget bbsam iwbf......why is fedex doing this? i dont see why they cant use vrp with some mods for both....easier for everyone ....

The Youngin' Of It All

coming in at 730 and back at 230 and did 130 stops? my guys will have 180 stops done by than...
make someone suffer and load? no one is loading our trucks with single....we still have to load our trucks....
and you can still use vrp system and have a preload

makes no sense to use single or vision when you have vrp.... you're going to rely on labels to find boxes? like thats crazy
Did they not take out the rollers for your building yet? We switched to single system and still had to load only temporary. Once the rollers were removed they loaded for us, provided the vehicle was safe and dock height for them to load. What type of area do you operate in? If your route is doing 180 stops how many miles a day can you really be doing? If you're overlapped then your route becomes more dense owning both areas. Why would you want to send two people to the same place? Those days are gone just like the system being outdated.

The Youngin' Of It All

its so clear cut and dry....that vrp saves time on locating boxes and training someone...and also allows drivers to interchange easily ...

forget bbsam iwbf......why is fedex doing this? i dont see why they cant use vrp with some mods for both....easier for everyone ....
I don't have to be either of them to answer that question. It's the same reason we're in business. To save and make money while running their sorts efficient. They're going to run their operation based on growth and change. The VRP was good for days when volume did like 4k or 5k. What happened is the business grew to where they needed advanced tools to meet operations and demands. Do I always agree with them? No, but it's become an evolving business where either keep up and comply or get out. Given risk vs reward in this business maybe that's not a bad idea for some people who can't see the bigger picture.... I'm sure there's more change coming down the road, but given your hesitation on making this round of changes to fit their business expectation maybe it might be safe for you to sell...

bbsam

Staff member
coming in at 730 and back at 230 and did 130 stops? my guys will have 180 stops done by than...
make someone suffer and load? no one is loading our trucks with single....we still have to load our trucks....
and you can still use vrp system and have a preload

makes no sense to use single or vision when you have vrp.... you're going to rely on labels to find boxes? like thats crazy
If you and your guys are really as good as you say, transitioning to single system should be a breeze.

It will be fine

I’m not sure what benefits you see in the VRP that can’t translate to Vision. Need to move a neighborhood? Just pull that load section. Want to insanely over manage the delivery sequence? You can have up to 50 delivery clusters. Want big numbers written on the boxes? Go crazy. Want turn by turn directions? Download into a Garmin. It’s not a big deal, just slightly different.

sadmanhere

Did they not take out the rollers for your building yet? We switched to single system and still had to load only temporary. Once the rollers were removed they loaded for us, provided the vehicle was safe and dock height for them to load. What type of area do you operate in? If your route is doing 180 stops how many miles a day can you really be doing? If you're overlapped then your route becomes more dense owning both areas. Why would you want to send two people to the same place? Those days are gone just like the system being outdated.

i do hd.......i do 35 miles a day. i operate in a safe upper middle class residential area. im not overlap... my issue isnt overlap...my issue is why are they getting rid of vrp.....

they will not be loading us...

blacksox

i do hd.......i do 35 miles a day. i operate in a safe upper middle class residential area. im not overlap... my issue isnt overlap...my issue is why are they getting rid of vrp.....

they will not be loading us...
One reason they are getting rid of VRP is the recent cyber attacks. VRP was built to run on Windows XP which is not secure anymore.
Pretty sure once your building is switched to a single system they will be loading your trucks if you don't want them too or don't give them a load chart they will stack it down the middle of the truck

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I'm rural in a 12' boxtruck... standalone HD terminal... my crap will still be on a pallet.

I don't see ground taking half of the area yet, so it's still a ~200 mile route

I guess I'm still gonna group by neighborhood and load/play Tetris accordingly until I'm at capacity...

Yet to see that cable to link from the Motorola powerpad to the Garmin... seems it's proprietary, since I don't see a standard usb port on that scanner.

12yearsaslave

HD Guy here. Major Metro. Single system live for a while now. Survived it fine.
1. The reason it's being implemented is that VRP had no support, was build for Win XP, Win Xp has no support from Microsoft. It's 2018 btw. VRP map was 2011?
2. What vehicles you have? We got p1000. Worked out fine. If you got Sprinters, my question to you is: When they announced overlap did you miss it?
3. You gotta breathe man. It will be ok. People adapt.

sadmanhere

Right... I’m sure stuffing the cab with 20 stops isn’t restricting a drivers view at all or blocking access to safety equipment. Unless you’ve mounted fire extinguishers overhead I’m sure it’s buried in packages. And you’re full of it if you’re saying your drivers are securing it when leaving the terminal or after every stop.

Pros: No more garbage VRP
No looking for missing packages
Faster dispatch

Like I said. If you set up your clusters and shelf assignments then the loading in the morning is a breeze.

what are the cons?

OrioN

So our PAL stickers are route# : sequence#

Vision has route# : wtf# ???? That's the section of the truck?

OrioN

I'm just trying to get the big picture now, since my manager quit before the :censored2: storm starts next month... right now, I see the other managers setting up route boundaries, but not zone-clusters on how each driver deliver in their boundaries yet.

They better start talking to the drivers individually to see how each route is run or it's gonna be a major PiTa

It will be fine

So our PAL stickers are route# : sequence#

Vision has route# : wtf# ???? That's the section of the truck?
It’s section# and individual stop. So if Main St. is section 1000. 241 Main St. will have a SID# (section ID) like 1031. Every box for that stop will have that same SID. Then it’ll go in numerical or alphabetical order within the section. So if the next address is 341 Main St. that’ll have a SID of 1035 or similar. I typically don’t bother looking for the SID on the sticker. I go to the section and find the box by address.

sadmanhere

It’s section# and individual stop. So if Main St. is section 1000. 241 Main St. will have a SID# (section ID) like 1031. Every box for that stop will have that same SID. Then it’ll go in numerical or alphabetical order within the section. So if the next address is 341 Main St. that’ll have a SID of 1035 or similar. I typically don’t bother looking for the SID on the sticker. I go to the section and find the box by address.

with vrp you had around 5 stops in one section....that you could easily find by looking at your own marked sequence
now you're trading that for hunting through 20 boxes with small labels?
what a joke

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

with vrp you had around 5 stops in one section....that you could easily find by looking at your own marked sequence
now you're trading that for hunting through 20 boxes with small labels?
what a joke

I was at Walmart the other day waiting for the Ground guy to finish up. You are right—-your version of our PAL labels are very small.

Have the loaders complained about them being too small or hard to read?

sadmanhere

isnt it much easier for package handlers to steal boxes now?? before we were the last ones to scan boxes....so 99.999 & if the box was on our scanner it was on our truck cause we put it there...now we have to trust the fedex employee of actually putting the boxes where they belong?

bbsam

Staff member
why couldnt they duplicate vrp numbers scheme at last....go by 20s much easier to go through a section of 5 boxes instead of 20

I was at Walmart the other day waiting for the Ground guy to finish up. You are right—-your version of our PAL labels are very small.

Have the loaders complained about them being too small or hard to read?

There are these things called address labels...