New Single System

HD219

I think this what your boss REALLY meant.
Yea...that system is not an improvement at all. I had 4 separate stops with the same SID. That happened multiple times. I had packages from other people's routes 60 miles away on my manifest. Found a package on my vehicle late in the day that wasn't on my manifest. They need to improve this system. Is it screwed up like this for ground also?

It will be fine

Yea...that system is not an improvement at all. I had 4 separate stops with the same SID. That happened multiple times. I had packages from other people's routes 60 miles away on my manifest. Found a package on my vehicle late in the day that wasn't on my manifest. They need to improve this system. Is it screwed up like this for ground also?
Yes. You have to look at the boxes on your truck and the address label. Total madness! Guess what? When I started there wasn’t a manifest, there wasn’t a SID, just a truck full of boxes. Somehow we managed.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Ugh, I'm rural too... butt min 90 stops, max at about 150, if there's no capacity issues. 180 to 200 miles a day... over 10 hours to cover my area, no matter the stop count

Later this month I'll be experiencing this vision crap festival as well.

Did you use a Garmin GPS to link the powerpad?

bacha29

Ugh, I'm rural too... butt min 90 stops, max at about 150, if there's no capacity issues. 180 to 200 miles a day... over 10 hours to cover my area, no matter the stop count

What's HD 219 "waaaing" about? No matter what mapping technology or loading process you use, they will continue to slam those boxes in your rickshaw floor to ceiling end to end until you can't get another box in it. Finding the box you're looking for or the place where it's supposed to go....well that's your problem. Tech savvy can be an important tool in the box hauling business but being tech dependent and or tech brain washed negates all potential gain. You can't trust the process until you can first trust your own memory.

HD219

No. There's been talks about the contractors supplying their employers with the Garmin GPS but everyone has yet to see one. I wouldn't use it anyway. The manifest is no where near in order like we were told it would be. They made it sound like we could go first stop to last stop without bouncing around...you'd be out all night if you followed the manifest.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I did one route for over 7 years and another for nearly 15 and did just fine without all this fancyass crap.

Route knowledge and a set of printed maps is really all it takes.

bbsam

Staff member
No. There's been talks about the contractors supplying their employers with the Garmin GPS but everyone has yet to see one. I wouldn't use it anyway. The manifest is no where near in order like we were told it would be. They made it sound like we could go first stop to last stop without bouncing around...you'd be out all night if you followed the manifest.
I followed the manifest on Tuesday in an area I used to run 20 years ago. Worked pretty well. 3 that didn’t plot and two not scanned onto work area.

The thing is that the contractor has to give good data to set up the clusters. If that’s good, the manifest is pretty good.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
No. There's been talks about the contractors supplying their employees with the Garmin GPS but everyone has yet to see one. I wouldn't use it anyway. The manifest is no where near in order like we were told it would be. They made it sound like we could go first stop to last stop without bouncing around...you'd be out all night if you followed the manifest.

LoL, I got mine's off Craig's list or EBay for a fraction of the cost

What I did was delete the misplots, rearrange the sequence to how I run my route, then off I go.

The time consuming part is loading my FedEx box truck to capacity in my order of delivery

Thank goodness my HD terminal doesn't do business pickups...yet? I will gladly do resis pickups, though. Since there's no time commits imposed on them

I followed the manifest on Tuesday in an area I used to run 20 years ago. Worked pretty well. 3 that didn’t plot and two not scanned onto work area.

The thing is that the contractor has to give good data to set up the clusters. If that’s good, the manifest is pretty good.
Yes you are correct..Set it up properly and its fine..Most in order just no turn by turns ..Organize your truck properly!

dvalleyjim

It is interesting how many HD drivers do the same route every day for years and still don't know their route by heart. I could do mine in my sleep (and do). They still need turn by turns and number sequences. But this was the idea behind the system. That a warm body in a truck could do any route.

bacha29

It is interesting how many HD drivers do the same route every day for years and still don't know their route by heart. I could do mine in my sleep (and do). They still need turn by turns and number sequences. But this was the idea behind the system. That a warm body in a truck could do any route.
You're right DVJ. The days of route governance are going away. A time when one guy did the same area for many years. He knew everyone, was there about the same time everyday doing the same task in the same manner Clearly the new mapping technology is a counter measure designed to offset the impact of high contractor driver employee turnover resulting from the disappearance of the vigilant 30 year daily deliveryman/neighborhood sentry who the people of the neighborhood leaned on, replaced with a low wage entry level transitional employment position filled by a kid who's not going to give a crap just wants to get done as early in the day as possible while simply waiting for the job he actually cares about and willing commit himself to arrives.

It will be fine

You're right DVJ. The days of route governance are going away. A time when one guy did the same area for many years. He knew everyone, was there about the same time everyday doing the same task in the same manner Clearly the new mapping technology is a counter measure designed to offset the impact of high contractor driver employee turnover resulting from the disappearance of the vigilant 30 year daily deliveryman/neighborhood sentry who the people of the neighborhood leaned on, replaced with a low wage entry level transitional employment position filled by a kid who's not going to give a crap just wants to get done as early in the day as possible while simply waiting for the job he actually cares about and willing commit himself to arrives.
The complaints you’re hearing are about the removal of the mapping software, so not sure this rant applies.