New Single System

It will be fine

How do you guys handle peak with the new system? You redo all the sections and clusters for the existing and new work areas?
I don’t mess with the clusters much. Maybe they work better in single system than they did in vision. I just cut new routes for peak with new work areas and load sections.

every.delivery

This has been a double-edged sword lately... sure, no one is hunting for a missing package to AMV scan, but now drivers aren't aware they are missing anything until they can't find it at the point of delivery. Our local management is changing code 12s and 16s to 27s on the following morning's VSA provided the package is 1) located and 2) loaded in the same CSA (albeit wrong route).

That’s right on. We’ve dealt w FX through unanimously (20 trucks on our belt) choosing to code misloads a 12. Yes, initially P&DMGr’s threatened coding those legit 12’s to DNA’s. We contacted CR who with the help of enough one-day-late, po’ed customers calling in, finally got the Mgrs to MANAGE their employees w/ the same standard we are held to.

Our argument to CR was simply,

“why is the customer and an ISP’s ILS jeopardized due to the lack of mgmt/ training by the belt Mgr? It is impossible to x-ray your trucks or come in @ 2:45AM in an attempt to monitor every potentially incorrectly loaded pkg by a FX employee.”

Previously, the HD driver would filter out all the inadequacies in the VRP system. Now w/ overlap and one system, that previously, free service provided by the ISP drivers, revealed a glaring light on lack of “loader” training.

Been much much better since. With CR actually checking in w/the ISP’s. Weird ik

every.delivery

we are in a co location .....

split the miles in half sounds great...but fedex is going to act like the work is going to be half as easy and really low ball us in the next contracts

and what about monday to saturday? what is the drivers schedule going to look like? how many are going to work 6 days ? one maybe? but for how long? scheduling drivers on a route for 6 days is going to be rough....we are going to have to rotate everyone days off and have a rotating driver......

We’ve been overlapped since OCT/17. I was tripping like you fearing realistic scheduling issues/ sustainability with, what I thought was going to be a 6-day retention-killer.
Turned out to be a prettty easy solution.

Our HD guys work tues-sat. Take ALL potential resi/ deliverables for attempt on Sat.
This reduces, as much as possible, the sort for Mon GD guys who, although, are doing a larger geography and are going into normally HD areas to attempt the “onesy” schools, churches dentists etc that are 11’d on Sat.
have much fewer stops outside their normal Biz-strips due to the excellerated Sat attempts. I’m rambly AF, but hope that helps!

Exec32

The un-single solution.
It's called duplication, waste, and inefficientcy. You will not be able to provide a single driver for a single problem. That is your reality.
The new norm for you contractors is sending out drivers with 50 stops, half empty trucks, using cheaper gas chevy's, doing a third of what we use to do with one truck. Why, because you are all frightened of daddy X and what they will do to you when you fail.
I forgot, you are so good at what you do!
Stop screwing each other over. X is laughing all the to the bank...
Try this; TM we have implemented our own software to route our packages to OUR assigned trucks. We would like to integrate it to your system, however if that is not possible then follow the written instructions on the rear of each truck to ensure I am able to continue to use my METHODS AND MEANS TO achieve the desired results. Watch as the Breech occurs.

every.delivery

The un-single solution.
It's called duplication, waste, and inefficientcy. You will not be able to provide a single driver for a single problem. That is your reality.
The new norm for you contractors is sending out drivers with 50 stops, half empty trucks, using cheaper gas chevy's, doing a third of what we use to do with one truck. Why, because you are all frightened of daddy X and what they will do to you when you fail.
I forgot, you are so good at what you do!
Stop screwing each other over. X is laughing all the to the bank...
Try this; TM we have implemented our own software to route our packages to OUR assigned trucks. We would like to integrate it to your system, however if that is not possible then follow the written instructions on the rear of each truck to ensure I am able to continue to use my METHODS AND MEANS TO achieve the desired results. Watch as the Breech occurs.

Wow that’s crazy. You a SW guy? What does your app do?

12yearsaslave

You all keep forgetting that Fedex is your customer. When you hire a contractor to redo your bathroom, does he come in and demand :censored2: from you? Or do you tell him what you need to be done in what way and then he tells you how much and you either agree or not?

Exec32

You all keep forgetting that Fedex is your customer. When you hire a contractor to redo your bathroom, does he come in and demand :censored2: from you? Or do you tell him what you need to be done in what way and then he tells you how much and you either agree or not?

Oh, and then that customer comes up with a complicated settlement package to pay me the home improvement contractor. And, of course I have to wear the uniform that the homeowner provides. And, I am subject to that homeowners audits, have to follow that homeowners instructions on, how and who I must hire....
Give me a break. You are comparing independent contracting to what Fedex does.
Apples to Oranges.
Your problem is that you don't know the responsibilities of X in the contract. Ultimately it is only this, give me the package to the right truck, with the right address, in the right condition, in a timely fashion ( by 7:30am), and then get the #$@k out of our way. You see we are not modeling a bathroom genius, we are simply delivering a freakin package.

CJinx

I don’t mess with the clusters much. Maybe they work better in single system than they did in vision. I just cut new routes for peak with new work areas and load sections.
They work exactly the same. Aside from some quality of life improvements and more visibility on premium service/CDO packages, Single System is just the same Vision/AWAD program that now incorporates an HD plan in addition to a Ground plan (instead of having Vision and VRP, which did not have any cross-functionality and made overlap a bitch).

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You're right DVJ. The days of route governance are going away. A time when one guy did the same area for many years. He knew everyone, was there about the same time everyday doing the same task in the same manner Clearly the new mapping technology is a counter measure designed to offset the impact of high contractor driver employee turnover resulting from the disappearance of the vigilant 30 year daily deliveryman/neighborhood sentry who the people of the neighborhood leaned on, replaced with a low wage entry level transitional employment position filled by a kid who's not going to give a crap just wants to get done as early in the day as possible while simply waiting for the job he actually cares about and willing commit himself to arrives.

It's package delivery, not the splitting of the atom.

59 Dano

The thing is that the contractor has to give good data to set up the clusters. If that’s good, the manifest is pretty good.

Exactly. There were different systems at Express that functioned the same way. They required accurate feedback in order to properly maintain/grow it and to fix any problems. Nothing was more frustrating than a manager complaining that something hadn't worked properly/hadn't been accurate for a year or longer only to find out that he'd never brought those issues to anyone's attention.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It's package delivery, not the splitting of the atom.
Package delivery with substandard service. If the service remains poor then oh well I guess it's OK to lose business and Ground can then go into widget manufacturing instead.

Cactus

Exactly. There were different systems at Express that malfunctioned the same way. They required accurate feedback in order to properly maintain/grow it and to fix any problems. Nothing was more frustrating than a manager complaining that something hadn't worked properly/hadn't been accurate for a year or longer only to find out that he'd never brought those issues to anyone's attention.
That's because most managers really don't care enough and figure it's the courier's problem at the end of the day.

59 Dano

Package delivery with substandard service. If the service remains poor then oh well I guess it's OK to lose business and Ground can then go into widget manufacturing instead.

Ground isn't losing business. People know what they're paying for and are happy with it for the price.

sadmanhere

i got a glimpse of the single set up
they have sections 1000 1500 2000 2500 ect ect
what i dont like is how random the numbers are within the sections

a good fix for us hd guys will be keeping the section id numbers..1000 ...1500 ect...i know thats for ground to load areas
but since hd likes to load more precise instead of of 1002 1003 10013 1501 1505 ect ect

why not keep a constant sequence throughout the id sections

1000- 20 1000-40 1000 60 1000-80
1500 - 100 1500 120
2000- 140 2000 - 160 ect

basically have two sets of numbers on the label......the section id for package handlers to load gd
and than the sequence numbers for hd to load

to save space on the label
use 100 instead of 1000 or 1 or whatever

Cactus

They work exactly the same. Aside from some quality of life improvements and more visibility on premium service/CDO packages, Single System is just the same Vision/AWAD program that now incorporates an HD plan in addition to a Ground plan (instead of having Vision and VRP, which did not have any cross-functionality and made overlap a bitch).
Pretty big talk from someone who drives a desk for a living.

STFXG

i got a glimpse of the single set up
they have sections 1000 1500 2000 2500 ect ect
what i dont like is how random the numbers are within the sections

a good fix for us hd guys will be keeping the section id numbers..1000 ...1500 ect...i know thats for ground to load areas
but since hd likes to load more precise instead of of 1002 1003 10013 1501 1505 ect ect

why not keep a constant sequence throughout the id sections

1000- 20 1000-40 1000 60 1000-80
1500 - 100 1500 120
2000- 140 2000 - 160 ect

basically have two sets of numbers on the label......the section id for package handlers to load gd
and than the sequence numbers for hd to load

to save space on the label
use 100 instead of 1000 or 1 or whatever
Because it doesn’t sequence the route until after the sort. That’s why they are out of order.