New Southern Supplement Language: Weekly Route Bids *on topic only*

Overpaid Union Thug

So, the new language basically says that bid routes with drivers on vacation (scheduled off the whole week) the following week will be posted the Tuesday before and the bids will be taken down on Thursday. For some reason our center hasn’t started that yet (or the new 9.5 language but that’s another topic) so I was wondering how it was working out for those of you, if any, that have already started that.

Since the last contract (Southern) mandated that most routes be bid I figured it would reduce the amount of unassigned drivers congregating in front of the manning board and maybe also reduce the last minute bumps by those dreaded drivers that show up just in time to toss a wrench in the assignments. I like that it potentially forces top coverage drivers to have to chose between covering a route they “can live with” all that week and risking having nothing but junk to choose from everyday. Anyone seeing this yet?

dogs.bite.me

Starts next week for us because nobody is on vacation next week so nothing to bid this week. But I've talked with center manager and it's starting next Tues for us.

Get your Steward to push the issue. That's what we did here.

542thruNthru

So, the new language basically says that bid routes with drivers on vacation (scheduled off the whole week) the following week will be posted the Tuesday before and the bids will be taken down on Thursday. For some reason our center hasn’t started that yet (or the new 9.5 language but that’s another topic) so I was wondering how it was working out for those of you, if any, that have already started that.

Since the last contract (Southern) mandated that most routes be bid I figured it would reduce the amount of unassigned drivers congregating in front of the manning board and maybe also reduce the last minute bumps by those dreaded drivers that show up just in time to toss a wrench in the assignments. I like that it potentially forces top coverage drivers to have to chose between covering a route they “can live with” all that week and risking having nothing but junk to choose from everyday. Anyone seeing this yet?

We have this in the southwest. You'll be surprised how many people won't actually bid on the weekly routes. Lots don't bid because that will mean they have to work all week.

Have you filed a grievance on the weekly bid language?

Overpaid Union Thug

We have this in the southwest. You'll be surprised how many people won't actually bid on the weekly routes. Lots don't bid because that will mean they have to work all week.

Have you filed a grievance on the weekly bid language?
I’m not sure how the bids will affect daily layoffs here. It really shouldn’t. Unassigned drivers could fill the void should a bid driver end up going home (or getting the call to stay home) and if they work the next day they’d be back on that route again. Just like for permanent bids.

I plan on filing next week if the bids aren’t up. I’ve already addressed it with the steward and on car to at least give them a chance to correct the problem before filing. But they’ve had nine months to prepare for this.

542thruNthru

I’m not sure how the bids will affect daily layoffs here. It really shouldn’t. Unassigned drivers could fill the void should a bid driver end up going home (or getting the call to stay home) and if they work the next day they’d be back on that route again. Just like for permanent bids.

I plan on filing next week if the bids aren’t up. I’ve already addressed it with the steward and on car to at least give them a chance to correct the problem before filing. But they’ve had nine months to prepare for this.

If your area is anything like mine I doubt it will have any effect on layoffs. When I covered routes I liked it. I always bid every week on multiple routes.

What people will have to be on the look out for is managment bidding for favorites that are higher then someone that bid a route. We had that problem here and it was hard to prove because the favorite would usually swear on Monday that "oh yeah I bid it late Friday."

I do like your 2 hour penalty language. We've never had a problem with being moved against our will when bidding but it would be nice to have just in case.

Overpaid Union Thug

If your area is anything like mine I doubt it will have any effect on layoffs. When I covered routes I liked it. I always bid every week on multiple routes.

What people will have to be on the look out for is managment bidding for favorites that are higher then someone that bid a route. We had that problem here and it was hard to prove because the favorite would usually swear on Monday that "oh yeah I bid it late Friday."

I do like your 2 hour penalty language. We've never had a problem with being moved against our will when bidding but it would be nice to have just in case.

The bid sheets go up Tuesday’s and come down Thursdays so ya snooze ya lose. LOL. Do people in your area bid by phone while they are on vacation? Or do they have to physically sign the sheet? That’s where I can see a problem. What’s to stop someone from claiming they notified a sup by word of mouth? If it’s a sup favorite that could happen like you said.

542thruNthru

The bid sheets go up Tuesday’s and come down Thursdays so ya snooze ya lose. LOL. Do people in your area bid by phone while they are on vacation? Or do they have to physically sign the sheet? That’s where I can see a problem. What’s to stop someone from claiming they notified a sup by word of mouth? If it’s a sup favorite that could happen like you said.

We put numbers(1-10)next to each route we want to do. Don't know of anyone calling in but the way language doesn't say they can't.

BlackCat

Your steward is allowed to put your name on the bid sheet.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
No one bids anything in our center most weeks. I usually go every morning and stir the pot with who I will bump lol. Really makes me feel better about myself and pisses management off. As I am one of the top non assigned driver. It’s the little things in life.

What'dyabringmetoday???

By "dreaded drivers" can I assume that you mean the drivers that don't "show up" an hour early to "network" with management and get "their" run dispatched to their liking?

Overpaid Union Thug

By "dreaded drivers" can I assume that you mean the drivers that don't "show up" an hour early to "network" with management and get "their" run dispatched to their liking?
No. The ones that walk in literally seconds before start time and cause all kinds of chaos on the manning board. The ones you are referring to are on the opposite side of the same coin though. :thumbup1:

Overpaid Union Thug

In your opinion. Some people feel that everyone should show up at start time. No reason to be there beforehand. Settle who is going where while being paid. I don't expect you to agree and you are certainly welcome to your opinion as well.
I don’t care what other people do as long as they don’t affect me in a bad way. I get why some show up at the last second. Some can’t help it. Some just like having other people have to wait on them.

I’m hoping this new language will cut back on some of the chaos. That will help me be able to walk to my truck some mornings without having to maneuver through as many drivers stressing out over who’s going where and fighting for computer time to see ORION trace. vacation season could be good.

Faceplanted

No. The ones that walk in literally seconds before start time and cause all kinds of chaos on the manning board. The ones you are referring to are on the opposite side of the same coin though. :thumbup1:
Should they come in an hour early and give the onroads a bj to pick which route they want to do. I’m pretty sure that happens in my center.

ManInBrown

Bingo. In package my bid route was cut once or twice a week. Days varied. I’m not showing up an hour early to get a look at things and figure out what route i wanna do. I’m strolling in 5 minutes before start time and I’m bumping whoever I want below me. You don’t like it? To bad.

Overpaid Union Thug

Should they come in an hour early and give the onroads a bj to pick which route they want to do. I’m pretty sure that happens in my center.

No. That’s what the “Safety Committee” is for. But at least those suckasses and OT hogs are getting paid for coming in sooo early, which, despite the stupid comments implying otherwise, I am not a fan of.
Bingo. In package my bid route was cut once or twice a week. Days varied. I’m not showing up an hour early to get a look at things and figure out what route i wanna do. I’m strolling in 5 minutes before start time and I’m bumping whoever I want below me. You don’t like it? To bad.

Five minutes? That’d be great! Much better than precisely at start time. Sometimes after start time here. But I don’t know where you came up with the idea that anyone would want people to come in an hour early just to pick routes.