New Start Time

talkwith

We switched to an 8:30 start time in June with talk about UPS attempting to return to a 8:00 start time just like the good ole days.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
When I started there were 3 groups in my center. One was 8:30, one was 8:40, the other was 8:50. Last week there were still 3 groups, only now it was 8:45, 8:55, and 9:00. As of next week, there are only two: 8:45 and 9:00.

I hope they'll be investing in air drivers. No way I'm getting off between 12 and 15 air stops that are on areas that are a 25 minute drive from the building.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How do you get your air off with that kind of start?

That's the hard part. We do have an air driver but we have 6 drivers who have 1030 commits so one driver obviously can't cover them all. We have had issues with late loads and late air, with 2 days last week of not leaving until 9:45, so I can understand not wanting to pay 30 of us top rate to stand around, but why not fix the problem rather than apply a band-aid solution?

On the two days that we left late it was all I could do to get the air off only to turn around and start the run back over.

UPSBluRdg03

We start at 830 on Mondays and 845 every other day of the week. But by the time we have the pcm, validate air stops and pretrip, no one is out of the building until 15 minutes after start time. There are a few routes that leave 30 minutes earlier each day but the preload is never down when they leave so they end up having package shuttled to them. Its hard enough getting the air off leaving at 9 I cant imagine leaving at 930.

over9five

Staff member
Our Preload is rarely wrapped. Sometimes I spend my first 20 minutes loading my car. HOWEVER, yesterday they were! I was onroad 8 minutes after my start time. That was a beautiful thing! (Especially for a Friday)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, but the company is profitable.

...but at what cost? When we start on time I am able to deliver all of my air in trace, which is much more efficient for me and works best for my customers. When we don't, I have to deliver the air and then come back for the ground, which adds time and miles. WalMart likes it when they are my first stop, which is usually the case, but if we start late and they don't have any air, I have to skip them and come back, which can be an hour or more later.

bbsam

Staff member
I guess I was thinking to the other side. If the company is hugely profitable (it is) why not spend the extra couple billion dollars a year to keep the promise to the customer?

Just_another_day_at_work

My biggest problem is not that we start late, but that we have the same amount of air stops like when you started 15-20 minutes earlier. 3 out of 5 days I have to tell my sup that I am heavy on airs and I don't feel comfortable going out like that. Response is the same: noone is available to help. I usually delivering airs until 10:15-10:25. Sometimes it feels like the over 9.5 issue, if I had late air today then perhaps they are going to give me less for the next day.

iowa boy

I guess I was thinking to the other side. If the company is hugely profitable (it is) why not spend the extra couple billion dollars a year to keep the promise to the customer?

UPS is not as concerned about the customer service aspect as they used to be.

tourists24

On the two days that we left late it was all I could do to get the air off only to turn around and start the run back over.
That is the norm around here. Our center has eliminated air drivers for the most part, so package guys are getting them. Most of the time now we have to run straight air til commitment time then turn around and start the run all over again with ground.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
We start at 830 on Mondays and 845 every other day of the week. But by the time we have the pcm, validate air stops and pretrip, no one is out of the building until 15 minutes after start time. There are a few routes that leave 30 minutes earlier each day but the preload is never down when they leave so they end up having package shuttled to them. Its hard enough getting the air off leaving at 9 I cant imagine leaving at 930.

The real problem can always be passed down the chain. As for midnight shift, they can at times only complete 20% of the unload and scan and sort. This leaving twilight having to make up 2, 3, 4 times more work then they have to. I've heard from a friend working midnight for a cover saying that people during the shift often stop working because they are getting a little sweaty. This even slowing or even stopping unload altogether. In my opinion, midnight is the hugest waste of money on a shift UPS has to offer.

Me and the kid next to me get the most packages in the easteren district. We've complete 1000 package days at 8:45 before, many times. But between the last minute air and ground stops that come down the line, sometimes 100 - 200 in the last 15 minutes of a shift, its hard to wrap up. We also have to stack out certain stops which also takes time to wrap. We both are the only cars in the HUB that are allowed to stack out, due to great amounts we recieve.

Of course there are lazy preloaders out there, I 've seen many. But over all finishing on time depends on how well oiled the HUB runs in all aspects. Not to menction they cut our start time back aswell, leaving most of the drivers asking why they did so, because we also are having trouble wrapping on time. UPS asking way too much for so little, what else is new.

UPSBluRdg03

I always understood that every piece in the building on the midnight sort had to be off the belts and in a trailer. Twilight has some commited loads in which all the pieces for those loads have to leave after the twilight sort. Other loads and pieces are fine to be left in the building for midnight to process.

Preload does a pretty decent job here. 4 out of 5 days a week all the loaders are gone by the time I am ready to leave. That does sometimes mean I have to still load some stuff in the truck because the sups cut the loaders before everything was done. But all in all they wrap it up most the time. Yep, you hit the nail on the head there. UPS is always gonna want more done in less time, its just who they are so to speak.

running straight air and then restarting the loop has been the process here since the first day of NDA service in our building. Air drivers are only used for overflow that the regular drivers can handle. 9:15 start time, first 15-30 minutes spent wrapping up preload.........EVERY DAY...even on Mondays.