New tdu article on halt to ratification

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
So, apparently, the bulk of the membership wanted it or didn't care.

If the majority of those voting voted no, what logic are you using to say the "bulk of the membership wanted it or didn't care"?

Reason would have to say non-voters didn't care...if they wanted it they would have voted yes.

Inthegame

Reason would have to say non-voters didn't care...if they wanted it they would have voted yes.
Half right.
They didn't vote yes. So clearly they did not approve of the contract
Nothing clear about it and the converse is just as applicable, if not more so as negativity is the stronger driver. They didn't vote no so clearly they didn't disapprove of the offer.

Members vote when their interests are affected. The big bad IBT made voting easier and yet the "clear" majority of members didn't make the effort, so "logic" would indicate they're OK with any outcome.

Want to see those responsible for this NMA...look at your non voting co-workers.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
if they wanted it they would have voted yes

They didn't vote yes. So clearly they did not approve of the contract

@Inthegame already responded with the correct response.

No, they did not vote yes, but they also did not vote no, so they were either OK with the contract or it didn't bother them enough to vote no.

Most of the members that hated this contract and didn't want it made their voices heard and voted no.

So you're now telling me that 54% voting no means that 4/5 of the people want yes?

I'm telling you that 54% of the 90,000 that actually voted, cast a no vote.

Less than half the membership voted, and I'll correct your total membership number here, of the eligible voters, roughly 1/4 voted no.

That means 3/4 of the eligible voters either voted yes or didn't care enough to vote no.

Makes sense to me. 54%=20% the math checks out.

Seems that a lot of people here have trouble with math.

54% of the 90,000 that voted is 20% of the total membership of 260,000. If you're still having trouble with the math, go to your nearest grade school and ask a first grader to do the math for you.

It's a stretch to say that all the people that didn't vote equals a yes vote.

Yes, it is, I agree with that.

But if they hated this contract so much, you would have thought that they would have voted no instead of not voting at all. So logic says that most didn't really care one way or the other or were OK with it.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Nothing clear about it and the converse is just as applicable, if not more so as negativity is the stronger driver. They didn't vote no so clearly they didn't disapprove of the offer.

I would agree that negativity is probably a stronger driver, but in this instance, the union had sent each of us a dozen or so glossy mailings stating a yes vote was the only way to make sure a work stoppage didn't happen (or something along those lines). Those mailing we're sent to coerce anyone who liked the contract or indifferent into voting yes by using fear of a potential strike to make them vote yes.

Had there not been a strike authorization and numerous mailings threatening work stoppage, I would have said indifferent voters would have been split more evenly between yes and no.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
No, they did not vote yes, but they also did not vote no, so they were either OK with the contract or it didn't bother them enough to vote no

How can you say they wouldn't be bothered enough to vote with the union mailing constant propaganda telling us a yes vote is the only way to make sure there wasn't a work stoppage.

Had there not been a strike authorization I would agree, but with that and all the mailings mentioning a work stoppage it seems doubtful anyone informed and truly not caring either way would be OK going on strike.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I would agree that negativity is probably a stronger driver, but in this instance, the union had sent each of us a dozen or so glossy mailings stating a yes vote was the only way to make sure a work stoppage didn't happen (or something along those lines). Those mailing we're sent to coerce anyone who liked the contract or indifferent into voting yes by using fear of a potential strike to make them vote yes.

Had there not been a strike authorization and numerous mailings threatening work stoppage, I would have said indifferent voters would have been split more evenly between yes and no.

I agree with this in principal, but they still did not vote. Even if they were scared of a strike, that would infer that most of the non-voters probably would have voted yes to avoid that strike, as you put it.

I have never said that I agree with the IBT recommending this contract, or pushing so hard for a yes vote, or coming just shy of saying there will be a strike if we turn it down. I even called Hoffa basically shady for keeping the 2/3 majority quiet and holding that wildcard in his back pocket.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
How can you say they wouldn't be bothered enough to vote with the union mailing constant propaganda telling us a yes vote is the only way to make sure there wasn't a work stoppage.

Had there not been a strike authorization I would agree, but with that and all the mailings mentioning a work stoppage it seems doubtful anyone informed and truly not caring either way would be OK going on strike.

See my other post. We did it at the same time.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Seems that a lot of people here have trouble with math.

54% of the 90,000 that voted is 20% of the total membership of 260,000. If you're still having trouble with the math, go to your nearest grade school and ask a first grader to do the math for you.

Why do you insist on counting members who didn't vote. If you didn't vote you lost your say in the outcome of the vote.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I agree with this in principal, but they still did not vote. Even if they were scared of a strike, that would infer that most of the non-voters probably would have voted yes to avoid that strike, as you put it.

I have never said that I agree with the IBT recommending this contract, or pushing so hard for a yes vote, or coming just shy of saying there will be a strike if we turn it down. I even called Hoffa basically shady for keeping the 2/3 majority quiet and holding that wildcard in his back pocket.

You know way more about the contract than I ever will.

How do we fix the fact that roughly 48,000 votes can auothrize the entire union to strike but 52,000 no votes isn't enough to renegotiate due to the possibility of being locked out? I'm guessing that's what they will say the reason for forcing it through is, legally it doesn't seem like their hands were truly tied.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Why do you insist on counting members who didn't vote. If you didn't vote you lost your say in the outcome of the vote.

I don't. And never brought it up until @Mooseknuckle brought it up yesterday.

Do you remember the post I replied to? Here it is...

OH,I guess you're right then. It shouldn't matter at all that the members didn't want it. Thanks for showing me how ignorant I was to think that it was about the 260,000 members instead of being about 2 people.

Bottom line I have been saying all along, 54% voting no did not meet the 2/3 majority to turn it down, and I do not make the rules.

Just like the contract. I did not write it, but I still enforce it, for the good or the bad.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You know way more about the contract than I ever will.

How do we fix the fact that roughly 48,000 votes can auothrize the entire union to strike but 52,000 no votes isn't enough to renegotiate due to the possibility of being locked out? I'm guessing that's what they will say the reason for forcing it through is, legally it doesn't seem like their hands were truly tied.

We need to change the IBT Constitution, or get more than half the members to vote.

Either one is going to be difficult. But once Hoffa is gone, the Constitution may be the easier one.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We need to change the IBT Constitution, or get more than half the members to vote.

Either one is going to be difficult. But once Hoffa is gone, the Constitution may be the easier one.

The funny thing about changing the IBT constitution....

There are always elected delegates, that don't bother to vote at the convention.