next gen package car

wilberforce15

You can spit smoke while the cyber truck laughs at your pathetic torque levels, after it passes you on the 1/4 mile after it gives you a 1/4 mile head start.

iowa boy

I have nothing against electric vehicles, but, given UPS's past attempts with a front windshield defrost system that actually works, how in the hell are the drivers gonna keep that windshield clean and condensate free when it rains, and keep the ice and snow from freezing to the windshield in the winter?

Poop Head

Judge me.
I have nothing against electric vehicles, but, given UPS's past attempts with a front windshield defrost system that actually works, how in the hell are the drivers gonna keep that windshield clean and condensate free when it rains, and keep the ice and snow from freezing to the windshield in the winter?
Probably with the defroster..

rod

Retired 22 years
Agree. That windshield will be a MAJOR problem causer. Especially now days when the trucks aren't washed but once a year it seems.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You do know that half of all vehicle sales in Norway are electric right?

Winter isn't even a problem at all. And the weight helps, not hurts.

I'm all on board with the benefits of electric vehicles, but you are going to have to explain how weight helps.

As for the heat, electric motors generate heat, even if not as much, but still plenty, like IC engines. That's not really a concern. Shouldn't need to add battery for that.

wilberforce15

I'm all on board with the benefits of electric vehicles, but you are going to have to explain how weight helps.

As for the heat, electric motors generate heat, even if not as much, but still plenty, like IC engines. That's not really a concern. Shouldn't need to add battery for that.

In the winter, weight = traction.

That's why a rear wheel drive empty pickup is such a nightmare in snow. There is no weight on the drive wheels.

Electrics are easy to make all wheel drive, and the high weight low on the chassis is great. Internal combustion rides high and is lighter. Electrics are heavier and lower.

The electric motor doesn't need to generate the heat for a heater directly. I think he was just referring to any heating system draining the battery faster.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
In the winter, weight = traction.

That's why a rear wheel drive empty pickup is such a nightmare in snow. There is no weight on the drive wheels.

Electrics are easy to make all wheel drive, and the high weight low on the chassis is great. Internal combustion rides high and is lighter. Electrics are heavier and lower.

The electric engine doesn't need to generate the heat for a heater directly. I think he was just referring to any heating system draining the battery faster.

Ok, I just thought we were talking about range and battery life. Weight does not help with that. And I understand the issue with a separate heating system, but I think the waste heat from the motor would be adequate without having to install a separate heating system. I could be wrong, but seems like most people don't think electric motors generate any heat.

wilberforce15

Ok, I just thought we were talking about range and battery life. Weight does not help with that. And I understand the issue with a separate heating system, but I think the waste heat from the motor would be adequate without having to install a separate heating system. I could be wrong, but seems like most people don't think electric motors generate any heat.

Yeah, no matter how you slice it, it's simply not an issue.

Thus, having half of Norway's market share while people here are saying "what about winter?"

Poop Head

Judge me.
Can you imagine UPS paying thousands of drivers 15-20 minutes extra just to clean that monster windshield?
i was talking about regular pc windows.
Ups would never buy any serious amount of the vehicles in that video. Good for PR cuz its neat looking, not for delivering packages.

However, bodies like the current trucks, on electric chassis will be sweet, once wireless charging is built into the floors in the buildings

wilberforce15

i was talking about regular pc windows.
Ups would never buy any serious amount of the vehicles in that video. Good for PR cuz its neat looking, not for delivering packages.

However, bodies like the current trucks, on electric chassis will be sweet, once wireless charging is built into the floors in the buildings

All of that is ready to roll and just needs to be purchased.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I think it's funny that yall are pushing all the completely predictable and irrelevant points against electric vehicles, not realizing that I'm far to the right of any of you.

It's just a superior way to run things. It's infinitely more reliable, much cheaper, requires less social infrastructure, and is easily faster, safer, and more powerful.

There isn't a single thing an internal combustion engine does better.
Can the electric car drive 400 miles, gas up (charge) in 10 minutes and drive another 400 miles? That, and cost the same without tax money subsidizing it?