next gen package car

oldngray

nowhere special
Can the electric car drive 400 miles, gas up in 10 minutes and drive another 400 miles? That and cost the same without tax money subsidizing it?
Norway has so many electrics because they are so heavily subsidized. They still cost more and have much shorter working life than internal combustion.

JJinVA

-One piece windshiled will have to replace that whole thing after rock chips.
-Touch to open door. Imagine a dog chasing you and having to wait 15 seconds for it to open (if it even opens hoping there isnt a mechanical failure)
-Side mirrors? Naaaaaa
-No edge on the shelving to hold packages in place
-Driver is low to the ground decreasing eye-lead time since they cant see over vehicles per standard trucks
-Frame low to the ground means bottoming out in a uphill driveway
-Quiet operation creates additional hazard for ppl not being aware of the trucks presence. 4000% Increased horn usage necessary

But the day that I see a vehicle without a steering wheel is the day I quit driving. I refuse to be in a vehicle that doesnt have a steering wheel or give me some degree of control over it. And to all the pl that are interested in self-driving anything, I laugh because I know eventually, some 8 year old in Pakistan will manage to hack the GPS matrix and start driving the Americans off of cliffs out of spite while they scramble and rub the dash looking for a steering wheel. AHHHHHHHHHHHH lel

wilberforce15

Can the electric car drive 400 miles, gas up (charge) in 10 minutes and drive another 400 miles? That, and cost the same without tax money subsidizing it?

Ah, there's the desperate clinger to antique technology. I knew we'd have some more.

Are you speaking of a personal vehicle or do you want a package car with that ability? Both can be done. It's just an odd request for a package car.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Ah, there's the desperate clinger to antique technology. I knew we'd have some more.

Are you speaking of a personal vehicle or do you want a package car with that ability? Both can be done. It's just an odd request for a package car.
My car. One tank of gas is all I need.

clean hairy

Can the electric car drive 400 miles, gas up (charge) in 10 minutes and drive another 400 miles? That, and cost the same without tax money subsidizing it?
Go to tesla trip planner.
Put in a route say, chicago to omaha, nebraska (about 500 miles)
Drive it in a gas car with 1 stop for fuel.
How many stops in a tesla to refuel it?

wilberforce15

If Wally wants a car to do 800 miles with only a ten-minute stop, then that is doable right now in the Tesla roadster.

And he'd get the bonus of having the quickest car in the world 0-60, and have four seats with front and rear trunk space.

Get on it,Wally.

JJinVA

I like the idea of electric vehicles. But they would have to be more similar to the current truck model per the mentioned short-comings in this thread. I am, however, not interested in any way shape or form in self-driving anything, personal or otherwise.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Go to tesla trip planner.
Put in a route say, chicago to omaha, nebraska (about 500 miles)
Drive it in a gas car with 1 stop for fuel.
How many stops in a tesla to refuel it?
LOL!

1596934154186.png

wilberforce15

I like the idea of electric vehicles. But they would have to be more similar to the current truck model per the mentioned short-comings in this thread. I am, however, not interested in any way shape or form in self-driving anything, personal or otherwise.

Workhorse already has two models that beat current package cars in every respect, and look almost the same. Two sizes already available. Whatever UPS wants, it can be done.

And you can lay off 3/4 of the mechanics as a bonus.

Attachments

• 041620-Workhorse-Horsefly-Drone.jpg
    041620-Workhorse-Horsefly-Drone.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Workhorse-C650-electric-van.jpg
    Workhorse-C650-electric-van.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 69

wilberforce15

Wally, a year and a half ago, Tesla offered charging at 1,000 miles of charging per hour.

To make the last 150 miles of the trip, even on a regular Tesla, it woudl take 9 minutes to charge. And that's identical to your precious gas guzzler.

Deal with it.

JJinVA

Workhorse already has two models that beat current package cars in every respect, and look almost the same. Two sizes already available. Whatever UPS wants, it can be done.

And you can lay off 3/4 of the mechanics as a bonus.

I could see myself driving that white one, the red one looks like youd never be able to fold the mirror in on those tight country roads

wilberforce15

Im talking about the reach. Look at how far it is from the driver seat

Ah, I see.

This is a display of a model for the USPS, which doesn't make a habit of folding in mirrors. It's a custom design for their use. UPS would obviously be able to dictate whatever they wanted in that regard.

JJinVA

Ah, I see.

This is a display of a model for the USPS, which doesn't make a habit of folding in mirrors. It's a custom design for their use. UPS would obviously be able to dictate whatever they wanted in that regard.

Or theyll install an electric motor to make it fold in that will work for about a month and then the mechanics will say, "Ops ok, safe to drive" lel

Sheikyrbouti

We have electric package cars at my hub. I’ve had the misfortune of driving one on a city route. I ran out of juice once it got dark. Even using the handbrake at each stop which triggers a gas powered generator. That’s supposed to get you through you’re route. Only issue is, I’ve dropped the package at the door and halfway back to the truck before the generator starts. And no, I am not a runner gunner so that’s not the problem lol. Nothing like sitting on the side of the road waiting on either a tow truck or the generator to charge enough to drive again.