Next Year’s Medical Plan

AB831

I'd never say such a thing. It works. Of course, it's less efficient than a market system and you're taxed through the nose to pay for benefits that you'll never need, but it "works."
So you'll never get cancer or need a surgery? I knew your were a know-it-all, but I didn't think you were a god.

bacha29

American Journal of Public Health study says 66.5%.
I remember you telling us a couple of years ago about the healthcare facility that you sought treatment from cutting you some big slack thanks to the people who bought into group insurance plans. If not for those people's forward thinking and the facility handing you what was really a nice charity gift you might you might have found yourself joining that bankrupt group.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I remember you telling us a couple of years ago about the healthcare facility that you sought treatment from cutting you some big slack thanks to the people who bought into group insurance plans. If not for those people's forward thinking and the facility handing you what was really a nice charity gift you might you might have found yourself joining that bankrupt group.
You've really got that backwards. The hospitals are able to give up to 70% discount for full payment because that's where a normal markup puts it. The other 70% is to cover the cost of dealing with the insurance industry.

vantexan

No, I had insurance. They did tell me that self pay is significantly less. That was their policy but it didn't apply to me. But what's concerning is in your zeal to win an argument you inflate the numbers. 66.5% is certainly problematic, but that's from people generally who don't have means to pay i.e. insurance.

AB831

Where did you get THAT out of a statement that universal care was expensive and inefficient??
Just going by what you said about being taxed for benefits you'll NEVER need. Don't waste your time responding, because i won't read it.

bacha29

No, I had insurance. They did tell me that self pay is significantly less. That was their policy but it didn't apply to me. But what's concerning is in your zeal to win an argument you inflate the numbers. 66.5% is certainly problematic, but that's from people generally who don't have means to pay i.e. insurance.
if as you say you had insurance but self pay was a less expensive option then you must have had the mother of all deductibles and copays.
Now the reasons for personal bankruptcies are not public information but estimates as to the percentage of bankruptcies attributable to medical costs run from 66.5% to as high as 86% but again it's just an estimate. What is known publicly however is that the number of personal bankruptcies fell by 50% between 2010 and 2017 with the ACA credited for as a major contributing factor for that reduction.

bacha29

You've really got that backwards. The hospitals are able to give up to 70% discount for full payment because that's where a normal markup puts it. The other 70% is to cover the cost of dealing with the insurance industry.
And that's the reason why support for a gradual transition to a single payer system is beginning to gain momentum . And someday it will become a reality. Perhaps not in our lifetime but it will come. And just like the ACA once people learn how the system works public support will grow.

vantexan

if as you say you had insurance but self pay was a less expensive option then you must have had the mother of all deductibles and copays.
Now the reasons for personal bankruptcies are not public information but estimates as to the percentage of bankruptcies attributable to medical costs run from 66.5% to as high as 86% but again it's just an estimate. What is known publicly however is that the number of personal bankruptcies fell by 50% between 2010 and 2017 with the ACA credited for as a major contributing factor for that reduction.
Wasn't comparing self pay with my insurance. Lady assumed I was a self pay because I didn't have insurance info when I went to ER. Obviously insurance was much less.