No cellphones in cab?

tieguy

Banned
when the cell phone issue comes up like this, then stewards should tell every driver never to use their cell phone for any communication with mgt at all... do all your communication via DIAD or use a land line when you get a chance. Use your cell on your own time unless an emergency comes up. Problem solved

See and this again sounds like we're copping an attitude with management and blaming them for trying to make us safer. you can keep the cell phone in your lunch bag or bag and return the call when you're safely stopped.

Try to keep the us versus them out of it when we're talking about safety and look at what we're trying to accomplish.

Big Babooba

Yup!

From now on, no more shifting while driving. All your shifting must be done while your vehicle is stopped!

No more rolling the window up and down either!

If it starts to rain, you may not turn on your wipers till your next stop!

If your windows fog up, no defrost till the next stop!

Telematics is now being configured to report whenever you have only one hand on the wheel.
When telematics can tell them what that other hand is doing is when I'll start to worry.:wink2:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
LOL

When would the micromanaging end !!!!

center manager - The reason I brought you in the office was I need you to explain to me why You stopped the vehicle for 2 minutes on this telematics printout.

Driver - I was getting dehydrated and needed my gatorade, plus I had to wipe the sweat out of my eyes.

center manager - Stealing time is a fireable offense. IE allows you 5 seconds on your return to vehicle from stop to hydrate and wipe sweat

Driver - But I was driving 10 miles to do that split you gave me from the route you cut out.

center manager - (towards steward) - He will have a 3 day suspension. While you write up the grievance, I'm going to the break room and get a coffee.
Your next line should have read

Driver(towards center manager) - OK but before you get your coffee heres a bitchslap to send you off with

QKRSTKR

Well I know 705red had a greivance in on the not allowing radios in the cab already. In the same section, here is what it says about cell phones.

National Master United Parcel Service Agreement.
Article 18. Section 8:

Applicable laws regarding the use of cell phones while driving will be followed by all employees while driving Company vehicles. The use of cell phones by other employees will be with approval of the Employer.

Anyone in management want to give this one a shot. Oh, that's right, you guys don't know how to read OUR contract, or just don't care what it says.

It's not illegal to talk on a cell phone and drive where I'm at.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I keep my cellphone in the front, I check it at breaks and lunch. If I hear it I check it at my next stop. I would never think of talking on it while driving the UPS truck and rarely in my own truck. Its just not that important to me.
I see too many idiots and too many of them slow me down because of them.
Sadly, we had a younger driver that I really like get suspended/fired this last week. Was told, at PCM he hit a light pole in a vacant lot, with a 2 ft base, and KNOCKED IT OVER. Now because of a call that could have waited, he may not have his job.
That is why it isnt important to me.
If it were not for the distance I drive to work, and my hubbys health, I wouldnt even have one. they are annoying.

tourists24

See and this again sounds like we're copping an attitude with management and blaming them for trying to make us safer. you can keep the cell phone in your lunch bag or bag and return the call when you're safely stopped.

Try to keep the us versus them out of it when we're talking about safety and look at what we're trying to accomplish.
sorry if it seems as if I am copping an attitude. I am not blaming mgt but I also know the reality of the way things work. People are being called on their cell phones by management all the time. You are dead on right about the safety points and this flies in the face of that safety. If management doesnt call drivers' phones then there isnt a chance that driver is on his/her phone unless it is their own purposes. That's why I also mentioned use the phone on your own time. This takes away ANY argument on cell phone usage. IF safety is the overriding concern then problem solved; use the DIAD to communicate with drivers. That fixes the safety issue but contractually in some states it is legal for us to talk on cell phones, but that is another thread.

NHDRVR

The cell phones are getting out of control. People on them while driving our vehicles.

the water should not be that big an issue. You have plenty of opportunities when stopped in traffic or plain stopped to get a drink.

Keep your hands on the wheel as much as possible when driving to maintain safe control of it.

There was a chartlottsville virginia feeder driver that ran up on top of a car recently. Never saw the car much less saw it stopping in front of him.Chances are good he was distracted for some unknown reason. Might have been on the cell phone , drinking a soda , yakking on the CB . who knows. five people in the car three of them kids all went to the hospital. You don't want that to happen to you. Keep yourself alert and in control when driving.

I don't see how anyone can make an argument that driving and talking on the cell is somehow ok to do. It isn't. Reasonable people know this. My daily scenario is not much different than most. My cell is in one of the cup holders, my headset is on, and when a call comes in I touch my ear and start talking. Cell phone will go in my pocket at the next stop so I can keep the connection when I walk. Very simple.

I drive an automatic so grabbing my H2O whether I am driving or not is not rocket science.

I simply ask for some consistency from what is asked from me. If you do not want us talking on our phones at all, which seems to be the request from what I am reading, then do not call me on it. Our centers rolodex is filled with drivers cell numbers. ALL OF US talk while we move. Some just aren't very good at it.

Now, using a cell, without a headset, while driving a stick??? Not too bright...

No one should be typing on their DIAD while they drive either. Equally foolish...

Dustyroads

There is no possibility of driving while talking on my area, it's so remote, and with my Sprint service, if I'm on a hill, and can get service, DON'T MOVE.

teresarice

yes alittle easier for me . I took everyones advice and only take the stops the route is expected to have makes a big difference.. Also I was wondering on the 9.5 days does that include loading ? We start at 745 am does that start the clock on 9.5 or is it drive time?

Kman845

"There are times in life when one must set aside those people who do little to aid in their quest."

That's the quote of the millenium. BRILLIANT.

tieguy

Banned
Well I know 705red had a greivance in on the not allowing radios in the cab already. In the same section, here is what it says about cell phones.

National Master United Parcel Service Agreement.
Article 18. Section 8:

Applicable laws regarding the use of cell phones while driving will be followed by all employees while driving Company vehicles. The use of cell phones by other employees will be with approval of the Employer.

Anyone in management want to give this one a shot. Oh, that's right, you guys don't know how to read OUR contract, or just don't care what it says.

It's not illegal to talk on a cell phone and drive where I'm at.

Are you a feeder driver? If so then you see the cars out there drifting in their lane as the driver is distracted while talking on the cell phone. Do we really need to argue that using the cell phone is somehow safe because of the language in the contract?

And yes management should not expect you to answer the thing while you're driving . If they call you it should be with the understanding that you will not answer the call or return the call unless you are safely stopped and secured.

M

Mike23

I hate to say it but I really do think, we drivers, are in the wrong on this. I look at this post and see, 'cell phones are ok if you have two hands on the wheel and a headset on...oh, also water's ok too...oh, radios in the cab is ok...' It seems like we're saying 'well this is ok during this type of situation'. I think it's actually a good thing management drew the line at cell phones.

I just picture the driver driving down the road yakking away, fiddling with the radio with one hand and grabbing his/her water with the other...Honestly, it scares me.

On Thurs I had some doofus aggro driver turn left with me. I was in the middle of switching lanes when he guns his engine and almost had me sideswipe him. The idiot was on the cell phone. A little up the road he did the same thing, again!

I will admit, I DO drink water at stop lights to stay hydrated. I find this is a safety concern because one side effect of dehydration is drowsiness. Do you honestly want to have a drowsy driver behind the wheel? I have a radio in my cab but DO NOT touch it on road. Cell phone I will only use if I have a fair distance to walk and am just calling my gf to let her know I'll be home late or during break periods. As far as I know none of it's a safety concern (except for the water which I explained before) as long as you're not concentrating on it or fiddling with it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Remember that when a Sup. is on car everything you do is the 'wrong' thing. They need something to do when they are on car so just nod and say ok. Like a rash, eventually they will go away.

They arent like a rash, they are more like an inflamed hemmerhoid....a useless pain in the ass that might go away for awhile, but will inevitably pop up again.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I agree with the policy forbidding cell phone use while the vehicle is in motion. It isnt safe to talk on a cell phone and drive at the same time.

I disagree with UPS's new rule that the phone has to be kept in the back, and I refuse to obey it. I break the rule and keep mine clipped to the cup holder. I have a route with some very windy, dangerous roads and I have been involved in many near-misses over the years. If I get hit head on, I want to be able to reach my phone to call 911. If its in the back I will never be able to reach it in an emergency, in a wreck the bulkhead door will buckle and will be impossible to open.

Big Babooba

This is a little off topic, but it's a police officer's take on using hand held cell phones.

I was talking to a state police officer about a month ago. she told me that she did not want to see a driver's use of hand held cell phones outlawed. This was her argument:

1. She said that drivers will use them whether they were legal or not.

2. Many drivers who pull over to use a cell phone don't know how to properly pull over or reenter traffic - thus creating a hazardous situation for themselves as well as other drivers.

3. And last - all vehicles that are pulled off to the side of the road have to be checked out - whether or not they are occupied.