No comment!WTF

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My point is you are making more than triple what a ground driver makes. I think it's comical that you are trying to justify ground getting peanuts while you live a pretty good middle class life.

This has nothing to do with me or how much I make. This is about the Ground ISP model and the laws of supply and demand.

Putting aside the moral issues, if bbsam can find qualified applicants who are willing to work for what he is willing to pay, why in the world would he pay them more?

MAKAVELI

My point is you are making more than triple what a ground driver makes. I think it's comical that you are trying to justify ground getting peanuts while you live a pretty good middle class life.

This has nothing to do with me or how much I make. This is about the Ground ISP model and the laws of supply and demand.

Putting aside the moral issues, if bbsam can find qualified applicants who are willing to work for what he is willing to pay, why in the world would he pay them more?

We all ready discussed this. Because it's the right thing to do. Why should you be making $32 an hour?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guess it doesn't make good business sense for ups to pay you $32 either? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

There may come a point in time where it will no longer make business sense for UPS to pay me $32/hr---when that time does come UPS will address the issue accordingly. Ironically, this time will come as result of the advances made at Ground and will have nothing to do with Express.

MAKAVELI

I guess it doesn't make good business sense for ups to pay you $32 either? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

There may come a point in time where it will no longer make business sense for UPS to pay me $32/hr---when that time does come UPS will address the issue accordingly. Ironically, this time will come as result of the advances made at Ground and will have nothing to do with Express.

I could care less wether you think it's the advances of ground or express. I guess you don't understand ground and express are one corporation- FedEx corp. What one div does affects the other. I find it ironic that a union driver who makes the highest wage in the industry would support a non union work force who many believe is driving down wages in that industry.

vantexan

Seems when it comes to money there isn't much consideration given to morality.

vantexan

maybe he shouldn't be. Maybe that's why UPS will address future drivers' pay in the next contract.

Too little too late? Most drivers will still be making the higher pay. How long will it be before UPS will have enough drivers at lower pay and I assume reduced benefits to offset the damage FedEx Ground will do? And while Ground may be able to find workers will UPS find enough people willing to work as hard as current drivers do for much less? Not to mention having to work next to higher paid employees. I wouldn't give the union a plug nickel to be treated second class either.

bbsam

Staff member
Too little too late? Most drivers will still be making the higher pay. How long will it be before UPS will have enough drivers at lower pay and I assume reduced benefits to offset the damage FedEx Ground will do? And while Ground may be able to find workers will UPS find enough people willing to work as hard as current drivers do for much less? Not to mention having to work next to higher paid employees. I wouldn't give the union a plug nickel to be treated second class either.

Yes. Ground is sitting very pretty.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I could care less wether you think it's the advances of ground or express. I guess you don't understand ground and express are one corporation- FedEx corp. What one div does affects the other. I find it ironic that a union driver who makes the highest wage in the industry would support a non union work force who many believe is driving down wages in that industry.

My posts had nothing to do with the industry as a whole. The only point I was trying to make is if bbsam is able to find qualified applicants willing to work for what he is willing to pay why in the world would/should he pay them any more.

bbsam

Staff member
But according to many here, the economy is about to rebound and all my drivers will leave for greener pastures.

MAKAVELI

My posts had nothing to do with the industry as a whole. The only point I was trying to make is if bbsam is able to find qualified applicants willing to work for what he is willing to pay why in the world would/should he pay them any more.

It has everything to do with the industry. If FedEx wants to claim they are number 1 in the business, then they need to pay its workers as such. FedEx has got these contractors drunk with the coolaid and some money in their pockets. Let me know when you want to work for a 3rd of what you make.

TUT

why in the world would he pay them more?

People are different, some owners don't like to pay bottom dollar. And there are plenty of people making more than their minimum amount their willing to work for. It's not that cut-throat. You point is valid but there are reasons people make more than their absolute minimum.

As for the public and Fedex's image. No body cares.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
People are different, some owners don't like to pay bottom dollar. And there are plenty of people making more than their minimum amount their willing to work for. It's not that cut-throat. You point is valid but there are reasons people make more than their absolute minimum.

As for the public and Fedex's image. No body cares.

Sorry to disagree. FedEx totally cares about their image and what the public thinks. That's why they lay it in with a trowel when it comes to self-promotion through charities, being green, and the rest of it. They love to get ahold of stupid employees who volunteer for the March of Dimes, United Way or whatever charity is out there and then give FedEx all the credit for it.

Look at the "sustainability" ads they have been running lately, touting how environmentally sensitive FedEx is...BS. It takes a lot of jet fuel, diesel, and electricity to get you a box of Shari's Berries.

You had better believe that they are upset about all of the Ground accidents too. The public image of FedEx is a carefully crafted magic act.