No comments about the Pension news today

bacha29

The long term answer lies in the overall financial strength of Met Life. I would therefore encourage every person who will depend on Met Life to fulfill the promise X has betrayed to take the time to look at every evaluation and financial strength rating of that company then draw your own conclusions.

vantexan

You're correct in everything you said, but in the end Fedex dumped on an obligation to defined benefit employees. If you had to bet, which company would you place your bet on for future viability? Simple question, you can defend your answer if you see fit.
Not saying FedEx is going to fold, but major insurance companies hardly ever fail. They're highly regulated and are extremely careful with their money. FedEx someday may have a serious problem on their hands if the government decides the Ground model isn't compliant with the law. Get another completely Democrat controlled government and that's a possibility. They may also finally give Express the right to unionize locally. With all of that FedEx may suddenly have a lot less profit, if any. Amazon may figure out how to take over the delivery industry. Who knows? A stodgy old insurance company that cranks out serious profit every year isn't the worst thing that could happen to our pensions. And no doubt MetLife had their actuaries look over all of this very closely to make sure it was worth it to them.

floridays

Is that the best you got?
No that's your best in the double wide glider. I asked you a pointed question two days ago..... no response, Vantexan, the guy you constantly demean has been trying to carry your water. Let's go :censored2:, put on your thinking cap on. There's something I'd like to add to my bucket list, and it doesn't cost very much either. Care to ask?

vantexan

You SAID there was no 401k early on. Did you not tell the truth? I have been in it for many years.
FedEx didn't start the 401k until when? Mid 90's? Back then they gave a maximum $500 a year company match. They stopped the company match for at least a couple of years in the 2000's. They restored it with the 3.5% max if you saved 6% in 2011. So please don't lecture me about how good the company had been to us on retirement. For many years they didn't pay well but it was worth it to me to stay for the traditional pension. Then they took that away.

vantexan

Because you didn't have the discipline to save money, dont blame others. Blame the fella in the mirror.
Says the guy who has a full traditional pension that he didn't have to put anything in to. Who because of his much higher pay gets a larger sum put into his portable pension while guys who worked many years for a lot less money have to settle for a smaller amount. You can talk all day, doesn't change the fact that you got in early enough to do better. And frankly, knowing that, it makes you a real slimeball for denigrating others when you had those advantages.

floridays

FedEx didn't start the 401k until when? Mid 90's? Back then they gave a maximum $500 a year company match. They stopped the company match for at least a couple of years in the 2000's. They restored it with the 3.5% max if you saved 6% in 2011. So please don't lecture me about how good the company had been to us on retirement. For many years they didn't pay well but it was worth it to me to stay for the traditional pension. Then they took that away.
The clown will never understand. He's :censored2: for brains. If he's truly been at Federal as long as he says he has, he's already gotten 100% of the defined plan that was offered to induce employees. The :censored2: is a fortunate recipient of good timing, and it has nothing to do with his intellectual investing abilities. @Oldfart , you got that cornfuk.

MAKAVELI

Exactly. FedEx is no longer responsible for those pensions...MetLife is. That means FedEx is completely off the hook in terms of responsibility. What a surprise. If the pension isn't funded and/or paid, your state pension guarantor (not the federal guarantor) pays you a limited portion of your pension, NOT the full amount.

Read the very last page. I will be entering my final post on this forum during the next week. If you're interested, I'll have a few more facts for you to digest.

Fred has poured sand on it, forgotten the lube, and is pounding away unfettered.

Enjoy.
Welcome back!:happy2:

floridays

Exactly. FedEx is no longer responsible for those pensions...MetLife is. That means FedEx is completely off the hook in terms of responsibility. What a surprise. If the pension isn't funded and/or paid, your state pension guarantor (not the federal guarantor) pays you a limited portion of your pension, NOT the full amount.

Read the very last page. I will be entering my final post on this forum during the next week. If you're interested, I'll have a few more facts for you to digest.

Fred has poured sand on it, forgotten the lube, and is pounding away unfettered.

Enjoy.
Welcome back mr. Why leave next week? Why a final post next week? Don't draw the wrong conclusion, it will be good to have you back.

Oldfart

No that's your best in the double wide glider. I asked you a pointed question two days ago..... no response, Vantexan, the guy you constantly demean has been trying to carry your water. Let's go :censored2:, put on your thinking cap on. There's something I'd like to add to my bucket list, and it doesn't cost very much either. Care to ask?
I believe I answered your question about the repercussions if that is what you are referring to.

Oldfart

Says the guy who has a full traditional pension that he didn't have to put anything in to. Who because of his much higher pay gets a larger sum put into his portable pension while guys who worked many years for a lot less money have to settle for a smaller amount. You can talk all day, doesn't change the fact that you got in early enough to do better. And frankly, knowing that, it makes you a real slimeball for denigrating others when you had those advantages.
Won't be retiring on my pension. Chances are I won't ever spend a dime of my PP account unless I live to my 90's. Gonna let it sit and grow 4% and let my kids have it. My 401k is my basis for retirement. Just as it will be for most people with discipline. Tex wasn't willing to sacrifice and now has to live half way around the world from him family. He is always making excuses for not saving money. No matter how much or how little you make you have to think about the future. Tex didn't and now is living the consequences. Bummer

Oldfart

You have your facts correct but not all of your dates.

Last edited:

Spam

The PBGC will never come into to play!! EVER!!
I started in 91,401k was already being offered then.

vantexan

Won't be retiring on my pension. Chances are I won't ever spend a dime of my PP account unless I live to my 90's. Gonna let it sit and grow 4% and let my kids have it. My 401k is my basis for retirement. Just as it will be for most people with discipline. Tex wasn't willing to sacrifice and now has to live half way around the world from him family. He is always making excuses for not saving money. No matter how much or how little you make you have to think about the future. Tex didn't and now is living the consequences. Bummer
You make being halfway around the world sound bad. I assure you it's anything but. Truth is I live just as well on half my pension here as you will on your SS and 401k. But I digress. My wife wants to retire too, and will join me just as soon as we put a new roof on the house. I retired at 55, she will at 57, and living in beautiful areas with half the cost or less of the States makes it all possible. And I watch American tv on the internet, great picture and sound. I go to American movies in English. Eat at great restaurants. Had a fantastic hamburger the other day. Had a great steak with all the trimmings for $11. And even though this city has a Papa John's I went to a local pizzeria reputed to have great American style pizza. Had a great medium combo pizza for about $8.50. Local food is excellent too, can get a great local meal for $4. Currently sitting in a great coffee house on a couch watching FOX News. Drinking ice tea and eating cheesecake. Luckily I'm walking so much I'm keeping it off. Enjoy your canned food, pay through the nose for everything lifestyle. Or do without, which is what many FedEx retirees will have to endure just to get by.

vantexan

By the way, I believe you will have to withdraw on your PPP at 70.5 years. Might be wrong on that, but pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Oldfart

I started in

'86, became a courier in '88. I don't remember exactly when it started, but it wasn't the deal then that Oldfart made it out to be.
I simply stated there was a 401k to save for retirement and once again you had your facts wrong. Tex just got BUSTED.