No lunch break, illegal?

TLady

So, what I want to know is how UPS gets away with 12 hour shifts without giving their employees a lunch break. Every other job I've ever worked at, there was a law that said you must take a 30 minute lunch after 5 hours of work. Does it have to do with the union? I'm just curious. Thank you.

porkwagon

So, what I want to know is how UPS gets away with 12 hour shifts without giving their employees a lunch break. Every other job I've ever worked at, there was a law that said you must take a 30 minute lunch after 5 hours of work. Does it have to do with the union? I'm just curious. Thank you.
You are mistaken. Lunch time must be taken and recorded between 3rd and 5th hour of shift.

TLady

You are mistaken. Lunch time must be taken and recorded between 3rd and 5th hour of shift.
But I've never gotten a lunch at my location and I've worked over 12 hours shifts at times, and I have worked here over a month. Are they breaking the law?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If you are really working 12 hours and not getting a lunch I guarantee one is being taken out of your pay.
Like he said, are you checking your hours? Are they paying you for 11 and not 12?

Are you a full timer? What did your sup say about lunch?

Do they have to take out what you put in the diad? Or do some centers automatically take 30/60 min no matter what you put int he diad?

BrownTexas

Do they have to take out what you put in the diad? Or do some centers automatically take 30/60 min no matter what you put int he diad?
They are legally only allowed to take out what you put in. If they do more then they are stealing from you. But you face discipline by not taking your required break period.

PT Car Washer

They are legally only allowed to take out what you put in. If they do more then they are stealing from you. But you face discipline by not taking your required break period.
Not if you are a PTer. Work as directed. Maybe 12 hours is excessive but I routinely work 8 or 10 hours or more without a break. Just grab a snack and keep going.

By The Book

What is your scheduled shift? I'm thinking you were a seasonal pkg handler and then you were a driver helper? They probably figured you were on lunch when you were changing into your uniform. I think you get overtime after 5 hours also, if only working inside, and if you do both shifts it's overtime after 8 hours.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Only a few states have laws mandating lunches. Check your supplement and rider to see if UPS is required to prove PTers with a lunch after working so many hours.

Chances are you do not live in a state with mandatory lunch provisions or work under a contract requiring such. So no, nothing illegal. We work 8+ hour shifts for maybe two dozen days per year and only get a 10min break that management likes to cut short to 7 or 8 minutes. Been that way since I started.

Octave

Where I work preload, we don't often get breaks. It's in our contract, but kinda sketchy for us PTers. The way it was handled this peak was if you said you were taking your 15 minute break the sups wouldn't stop you, but you'd also kinda be screwing yourself by letting boxes pile up. I think we have something about any time we work over 4 hours we get a 15 minute break. They shut down the building maybe four times this peak to give us breaks, and according to my coworkers who have been there longer, that was unprecedented.

rod

Retired 22 years
Where I work preload, we don't often get breaks. It's in our contract, but kinda sketchy for us PTers. The way it was handled this peak was if you said you were taking your 15 minute break the sups wouldn't stop you, but you'd also kinda be screwing yourself by letting boxes pile up. I think we have something about any time we work over 4 hours we get a 15 minute break. They shut down the building maybe four times this peak to give us breaks, and according to my coworkers who have been there longer, that was unprecedented.

AlphaMikeBravo

If it's one thing I learned quickly at UPS, you should NEVER wait for them to tell you to take a lunch or break. If the contract calls for a break or a lunch during your shift, take control and YOU tell them your going on break as stipulated in the contract and if there is a problem, to talk to your shop steward. Even when it's busy, they can always pull people from other areas to cover in the meantime. Take whatever your entitled to, cause we are just numbers to these people. Of course, if your new and haven't made seniority yet, you won't have union protection, in which case you should just work as directed, "request" a break, and hope for the best.

MendozaJ

In my building, if you take an unpaid lunch you are paid OT after 8 hours worked. Every P/Ter here "works through" to earn OT after 5 hours and get the paid 15 minute breaks as required by law.