No RPCD allowed

DOK

If an RPCD is working on Saturday (regardless of whether or not they were forced or volunteered) their seniority rules over all 22.4s. The only protection from a RPCD a 22.4 has is the right to work on Saturday first. My center only has about half the amount of 22.4s needed to fill the amount of routes that are typically in on Saturdays so there are usually RPCDs there. They can’t pump 22.4 out of working Saturdays. But they do have seniority over them when they do work. Regardless of why they are there.
Well in our center they have enough 22.4’s to cover their own Saturday routes, and ups has built a platoon of cover drivers over the past 5 months to cover the extra routes that they put on on a Saturday over and above the normal 22.4’s Saturday routes. RPCD have been successfully volunteering to cover those extra routes that were put on on a Saturday, basically since the start of the pandemic. Now that ups has enough cover drivers in the ranks they’ve been using them over RPCD for the extra Saturday routes.

542thruNthru

You sure pvds aren’t permitted to work Saturdays during the peak months?
It's not that they can't work Saturdays. It's that Saturday work for anyone but 22.4s is extra work. Extra work should go by seniority. If PVDs are working 6 days and RPCDs are being denied that extra work. It's a contract violation.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It's not that they can't work Saturdays. It's that Saturday work for anyone but 22.4s is extra work. Extra work should go by seniority. If PVDs are working 6 days and RPCDs are being denied that extra work. It's a contract violation.

They started doing this at my center. If anyone out there has successfully fought this, please share. Thanks.

542thruNthru

Company is dragging their feet bad. We still have supervisors working grievances from last peak that haven't been paid.
Yep. All our sup working grievances pushed back also. I don't think any have been heard. To be honest I have a feeling my local isn't pushing the issue on the PVDs working before RPCDs because it's peak. They always seem to let things slide to later during peak.

Undertow

Yep. All our sup working grievances pushed back also. I don't think any have been heard. To be honest I have a feeling my local isn't pushing the issue on the PVDs working before RPCDs because it's peak. They always seem to let things slide to later during peak.
Which needs to be changed in the next contract. Seniority should rule in all cases, a senior driver should be able to sign up for extra work. Where have you ever heard a union workplace set up like it is at ups, “oh, you have 35 years seniority? Nope sorry, this driver with 2 months seniority gets to work before you”! How did we get here, more importantly, how do we make it right?
The company is always going to push the limits and that's why the exact wording of any contract is so important when negotiated because once the deal is done, management gets five years to exploit whatever gifts Hoffa and Taylor handed them and even if you get the lousy article thrown out during future bargaining talks, the hourlies won't ever get back what they lost over those five years.

We have some guys in our building griping about similar stuff. Some of it I agree with it. Some stances they take I don't. Three years ago there were many of us fed up with the 70 hour workweeks during some of the worst weather the year had to offer. Collectively, we asked for less work. What we are now seeing is what the company's vision of what "less work" should look like and it appears to look a lot like "less of a say in matters". And the company won't stop there. Down the road, it will be M thru friend guys bumping each other on a Monday due to the "when work is available" clause potentially allowing cheap 22.4's to raid the coming week's volume while working 12 to 14 hour Saturdays.

In the big picture, it is and should be a concern. Personally, it wouldn't bother Me inn the least if I never worked another minute of OT in my life as long as ORION has to be tolerated.