Nobody wants to be pt Sup!Why?

Braveheart

I was a pt sup and now I am a driver....I like driving better.

We got a guy down here that was a pt sup for like 9-10 years.

Offered FT Sup job but had to drive for 6 months 1st.

6 months turned into a year and then 2 years.

When they finally came calling he told them no thanks.

He was a good pt sup and is a good driver too.

He told me staying a driver was the best choice he ever made.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Many people go into Part Time Management knowing that they will not get promoted at UPS, but that it looks great on a resume.
What do you mean?

If you are getting a college degree and you start applying for jobs based on your college degree, it looks good to have a UPS P/T Supervisor on your resume.
It gives the interviewer the feeling that you know how to work with and lead a team of people, you can establish and work towards goals and that you have a level of responsibility that the normal college grad does not have.

Notcool

Being a pt sup where I am is a big joke. I have loaded for five years and have been asked and almost pressured into being a pt sup. I like having a job. I have seen more pt superiors that were great at their job quit. In the past 2 months 3 pt sups quit. One had been there for many years. Loaders that have been there a while have no respect for pt sups. I don't. My new sup just started and acts like I have no idea how to load the same trucks I have been doing for so long. Anyway, I have made too many good friends to go sup.

daiku

I am a short timer here in CA 20 years.... There was a time that supervision was not so bad. However, you will no longer get to full time faster, there used to be clauses that would allow a ratio of off the street hires to promoted teamsters, the company often would use part time sups. Now the ratio is like 5-1. Also as a PT sup you ARE the punching bag, by your superiors and those who know their rights. We cant even get FULL time sups in my building from full time employees.....If you are looking for a promotion to ANOTHER company I suggest you go mgmt. UPS is good on the resume.

Random_Facts

I'm surprised there is that many open spots for supervisor positions. At our hub, there is more supervisors than workers. Yes, that is correct, highly outrageous. But that's UPS for ya. No telling what will happen next.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm surprised there is that many open spots for supervisor positions. At our hub, there is more supervisors than workers. Yes, that is correct, highly outrageous. But that's UPS for ya. No telling what will happen next.

Someone has to unload the trailers and PCs and load the trailers.

I discourage anyone from going into management. Not because I am a loyal union member but because of how upper management treats it's people. I just point to the full time sups in my building who have been hospitalized, on medication, or on some sort of stress related restriction from their doctors because of the working conditions. If you think we get treated bad you should see how they get treated. There is no future for a part time supervisor. At best you will get promoted to a full time supervisor in five years if you're lucky (it could be longer). As a fulltimer you will be subjected to daily verbal abuse, threats, and 14 hour work days. I look at the fulltimers in my building the nassau hub and they are all miserable. I couldn't imagine living a life like that. To be fair I don't know how bad it is in other buildings but here it's bad. I heard rumors that the fulltimers in Nassau are all under some sort of stress and depression medication. I would believe it too they all look like zombies with bags under their eyes everyday. Is that the life you want to live?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I discourage anyone from going into management. Not because I am a loyal union member but because of how upper management treats it's people. I just point to the full time sups in my building who have been hospitalized, on medication, or on some sort of stress related restriction from their doctors because of the working conditions. If you think we get treated bad you should see how they get treated. There is no future for a part time supervisor. At best you will get promoted to a full time supervisor in five years if you're lucky (it could be longer). As a fulltimer you will be subjected to daily verbal abuse, threats, and 14 hour work days. I look at the fulltimers in my building the nassau hub and they are all miserable. I couldn't imagine living a life like that. To be fair I don't know how bad it is in other buildings but here it's bad. I heard rumors that the fulltimers in Nassau are all under some sort of stress and depression medication. I would believe it too they all look like zombies with bags under their eyes everyday. Is that the life you want to live?

UPSSOCKS

BLACKBALLED

O.K. here is the scoop and truth: The truth UPS is a well respected company outside of its facilities. The pay is good for Full time Management, but the pay sucks for PT Supervisors and the gratitude will never arrive. You may be lucky and become a driver who has some union protection, pending the union is not sleeping witht the enemy which is probably the case in most places at UPS. ups is a demorilizing company to work for, I need the extra money that is the only reason i am still here, i have a somewhat decent manager whom has made it more tolerable. I have been pt sup. for 5 years and have seen it all and how UPS gets away with what they do is beyond me! Everyone is a two-face even your pt piers because they want to be full time and will do whatever it takes to make it happen.
TO SUM IT UP NOONE WANTS TO BE A PT SUP BECAUSE IT IS A DEADEND AND ESPECIALLY A LOCAL SORT SUP. NOONE WANTS IT SO THEY WILL NEVER LET YOU GO AND SCREW YOU TO MAKE SURE YOU STAY PUT, YOUR ONLY WAY OUT IS TO QUIT AND RIGHT NOW I NEED THE MONEY. DONT DO IT YOU WILL REGRET IT AND REMEMBER YOU HAVE NO REAL FRIENDS AT UPS.

UPSSOCKS

Come be one of my part time supervisors.. I will make you millions... In the mean time come to work in jeans so I can pass you off as a union worker...

UPSSOCKS

i will cause HELL if you did that in my hub

I bet... Your hub sounds scary, just like the other 78 hubs/centers I've worked in... They are all the same.. But if it makes you feel better:

You're right I would never try that in your hub, your hub's local is so strong, they don't steal your union dues and turn a blind eye to contract violations like the other locals... does that make you feel better?

ch3l3

I bet... Your hub sounds scary, just like the other 78 hubs/centers I've worked in... They are all the same.. But if it makes you feel better:

You're right I would never try that in your hub, your hub's local is so strong, they don't steal your union dues and turn a blind eye to contract violations like the other locals... does that make you feel better?

yes cause all of what you said is true my local dont play that game, cause of corrupted mangement theres have been lay offs to union memebers. thats why every night i hand in about 20 grievances to the HUB manager for supervisors working, harassment, on-job supervision, working in a unsafe environment.

rod

Retired 22 years

Whats the deal? Do they just keep passing you around because no body wants you?

UPSSOCKS

Whats the deal? Do they just keep passing you around because no body wants you?

Some might say that.........

I believe it is because I am such an outstanding contributor to the company that they want me to rub off on as many people as possible..