Non-Political Gun Talk (On topic)

oldngray

nowhere special
Commercial M1 carbine. Examples I've dealt with were made by I forget who in Hialeah Fla. Often composed of newly made and milsurp parts. I have an old four cavity SAECO mould for it. I have one made by National Postal Meter. Very good, cheap plinker that is perfect for cast bullets. The hammer strike isn't the strongest in the world and I suspect that small pistol primers could be substituted. Though I've never bothered to try.
I always used small rifle primers. Small pistol would probably work but I would be worried about the reliability. 30 carbine is in kind of a gray area between a rifle and a pistol.

oldngray

nowhere special
Colt model 1927, 11.25 mm, made in 1948.
9goqSG5.jpg

My real passion is Savage Model 1899/99 lever guns. The first is a 1912 model H take down in 22 HiPower, with a 1912 cantilevered Malcolm 3X scope. The 22 HP is a 30-30 necked down to .228. The second is a 1928 Model K engraved with a 1928 Noske 4X scope in 300 Savage.
4mZ5ywy.jpg

J3YTYkL.jpg

gk9qOQw.jpg
Savage 1895.JPG
Savage 1895 2.jpg

Savage 1895 75th Anniversary in .308

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
I haven't measured them but from eyeballing them they appear to be the same dimensions. Difference is more fire from the rifle primers and probably a tougher cup to handle higher pressures.
Can’t even find primers these days anyways. Went to 11 stores today and seen 2 boxes of shot shell primers. That’s it

Mutineer

I haven't measured them but from eyeballing them they appear to be the same dimensions. Difference is more fire from the rifle primers and probably a tougher cup to handle higher pressures.
You are mostly correct. Only difference is the thickness of the top of the primer cup as pistols have a much weaker hammer strike than a rifle. Pressure has nothing to do with it. External dimensions are identical.

Mutineer

My stepdad was crazy over Savage 99's. They are good rifles and were very innovative for their era. But I can't get past the notion of a lever action without an external hammer. It simply bothers me for no sane reason. I think Ruger copied the Savage rotary magazine for the 10/22.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
My stepdad was crazy over Savage 99's. They are good rifles and were very innovative for their era. But I can't get past the notion of a lever action without an external hammer. It simply bothers me for no sane reason. I think Ruger copied the Savage rotary magazine for the 10/22.
Ive had 2 savages in my life and didn’t care for either of em.

Mutineer

Colt model 1927, 11.25 mm, made in 1948.
9goqSG5.jpg

My real passion is Savage Model 1899/99 lever guns. The first is a 1912 model H take down in 22 HiPower, with a 1912 cantilevered Malcolm 3X scope. The 22 HP is a 30-30 necked down to .228. The second is a 1928 Model K engraved with a 1928 Noske 4X scope in 300 Savage.
4mZ5ywy.jpg

J3YTYkL.jpg

gk9qOQw.jpg
I like the Argentine 1911 copy. Is that an Ace trigger shoe on it? Aside from my own, I haven't seen another Ace trigger shoe in years. I have one on a Hi-Power.

Rarefish383

I like the Argentine 1911 copy. Is that an Ace trigger shoe on it? Aside from my own, I haven't seen another Ace trigger shoe in years. I have one on a Hi-Power.
I had a friend that passed away years ago. His wife told me to take any pistol and any rifle from his collection. I chose the Argentine Colt (good eye) and a Dutch M1 Garand.

Rarefish383

If you saw the vehicles I drive and the clothes I wear, you would realize that I am impossible to offend.

Post away.
Cool. With Savage 1899 collectors we have what we call the "Savage Slam". That's a game animal taken with each of the Cartridges designed by Savage, 303 Savage, Savage 22 HiPower, Savage 250-3000, and 300 Savage.
7 point, taken with a 1928 model 99F take down in 303 Savage:
Xry8t47.jpg

8 point taken on my farm in WV with a 1912 1899 H take down in 22HP:
YqeXwLu.jpg

Spike taken on the farm with 1951 model 99R in 300 Savage:
SZ550V5.jpg

Another spike from the farm with a 1951 99R in 250. When my cousin asked why I shot it in the eye? I said, "because I can." The 250 is incredibly accurate:
hZZ9WwS.jpg

That's my Slam, took 3 years.

oldngray

nowhere special
Next in the list is an Enfield and eventually get a WW2 M1 carbine or Garand. And I’ll be set on WW2 guns
Most WW2 surplus are beat to hell and over priced. You should be able to bet a post war Enfield in almost mint condition at a decent price. Or you used to be able to. Prices have probably tripled in recent years.

Enfield No4 Mk2.JPG

No.4 Mk2. Last and best Enfields.