Non-Political Gun Talk (On topic)

Rarefish383

I've kind of been looking for one of the Savage made no.4 mk1's, but they either look like they came out of the Ganges or they want the price of a Rolls for one.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
Most WW2 surplus are beat to hell and over priced. You should be able to bet a post war Enfield in almost mint condition at a decent price. Or you used to be able to. Prices have probably tripled in recent years.

View attachment 321892

No.4 Mk2. Last and best Enfields.
You can get a pretty decent price on one still just gotta find the right store. I’ve noticed a lot of stores take advantage of the idiots. Which I am a pretty big :censored2:in idiot but I can wheel and deal with the best of em.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
Example. I had another junk savage (no surprise there) .17 WSM when they first came out. Got a good price from this store. Had it a week and took it back. They tried to :censored2: me on it and told me to take it somewhere else. Argued for another minute, put it in the case, and walked out. Get to the truck and the guy comes back out and says come back we will do your deal. Got all but about $50 of my money back lol. I think they took a big hit on it. But :censored2: em.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
05FA92A7-CEB5-4BE0-967E-3D5B50A287A4.jpeg

Mutineer

I've kind of been looking for one of the Savage made no.4 mk1's, but they either look like they came out of the Ganges or they want the price of a Rolls for one.
Yup. I've never seen a nice one, either. What few Savage Enfields I've scrutinized showed disappointing initial quality (machining marks, etc) and appeared to have been used to drive railroad spikes. And every person who has one is very proud of it. Smh...

Mutineer

My k31 is like that. Wish I could find Swiss ammo for it though. Shouldn’t have shot all of mine.
Shooting buddy of mine had one. Straight pull. I remember he said it was fussy to handload for.
Already planning my next purchase.

another k98, carcano, Enfield, CZ scorpion SBR, Cz .204, Cz 6.5 grendel, or a 6.5 creedmoor in some flavor 🤔
I wouldn't bother with a Carcano. They're kinda' weird. Like a K31. Except with no redeeming qualities.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
Shooting buddy of mine had one. Straight pull. I remember he said it was fussy to handload for.

I wouldn't bother with a Carcano. They're kinda' weird. Like a K31. Except with no redeeming qualities.
It’s probably one of the most accurate best, shooting rifles I have. Sucks I shot all the Swiss ammo for it. Haven’t even tried to reload for it. Just sits in the safe. Probably end up getting another Mauser.

Mutineer

I have one. Not bad but kind of transitional post WW2 gun. Non detachable magazine and chambered for 7.92 Mauser round. Really heavy trigger pull.

View attachment 321999

... I wrapped electrical taped around the handguard because venting gas kept blowing it loose.
I am not familiar with that rifle. Unless the handguard is two piece, I can't imagine it coming loose from venting gas. Is the gas port adjustable? That may have something to do with it. Whatever the case, something is not right or there is a part missing.

From the pic, the magazine box could be mistaken to belong to an Ishapore 7.62X51 Enfield.

oldngray

nowhere special
I am not familiar with that rifle. Unless the handguard is two piece, I can't imagine it coming loose from venting gas. Is the gas port adjustable? That may have something to do with it. Whatever the case, something is not right or there is a part missing.

From the pic, the magazine box could be mistaken to belong to an Ishapore 7.62X51 Enfield.

The handguard seems to be more a design flaw than anything else. Only held on by a metal clip (for easy removal?) and it pops off too easily. The magazine box is similar to an Enfield/ Typical of pretty much all non detachable box magazines. It isn't a bad rifle but I get the impression FN was still feeling their way in producing a semi auto battle rifle. The FN MAS 49 only lasted a short time before being replaced by the much better FN FAL.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
The handguard seems to be more a design flaw than anything else. Only held on by a metal clip (for easy removal?) and it pops off too easily. The magazine box is similar to an Enfield/ Typical of pretty much all non detachable box magazines. It isn't a bad rifle but I get the impression FN was still feeling their way in producing a semi auto battle rifle. The FN MAS 49 only lasted a short time before being replaced by the much better FN FAL.
Made in my Motherland