Non-Political Gun Talk (On topic)

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
AFA2681A-CBB9-4548-AFEE-F0E756680EB0.jpeg

03705AED-F8DC-41A6-B14E-A9C4E80A1512.jpeg
FEEAC4A4-196A-4CCC-87F4-C7B020BC6626.jpeg

I started re doing one of my dad’s old .22’s I got the stock started. However I’d like to do something with the barrel And trigger guard. What do you guys think as far as product? Some sort of re bluing solution or maybe paint it? I don’t plan on shooting it. Just wanting to make it look nice. I haven’t dove into the metal yet so I’m not sure how bad it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated

oldngray

nowhere special
View attachment 295131
View attachment 295133 View attachment 295132

I started re doing one of my dad’s old .22’s I got the stock started. However I’d like to do something with the barrel And trigger guard. What do you guys think as far as product? Some sort of re bluing solution or maybe paint it? I don’t plan on shooting it. Just wanting to make it look nice. I haven’t dove into the metal yet so I’m not sure how bad it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated

A nice blue job always looks nice. I'm not a fan of painting especially for a wall hanger.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
A nice blue job always looks nice. I'm not a fan of painting especially for a wall hanger.

yeah paint may be my absolute last option. I’d like something I can do myself since I don’t have the extra cash (not one of the lucky ones who makes more sitting at home than working) to do so right now.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I re-blued my Winchester Model 94 and it looks good. I should have left it apart a little longer because I had a little bleed that soaked into the stock a little bit.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
View attachment 295131

Assuming it's a carbon based steel I'd have it professionally blued if it were me. I've done titanium anodizing but I don't know how to blue steel.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It looks better than it used to. You can see where the bluing got into the stock, this is the first and only time I attempted this.
8C9F445B-3208-4068-B127-D6E004FC0ADD.jpeg
The Winchester is a .375 caliber, it’s hard to find ammo for it.

542thruNthru

View attachment 295131

It's funny. I have a old .410 that I got from my dad. Yours reminded me of it. Looks very similar.
sketch-1589346925823.jpg

Mutineer

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Minwax stain is NOT a 'finish'. I don't care if the can sez "wood finish." Minwax is lying to you. Don't buy Minwax ever again for anything. And give the can of Minwax in the pic (and any others you have) to somebody you hate.

It is not too late to buy a can of (found in most hardware stores) Watco Danish Oil Finish. Follow the directions on the can, and simply go over the Minwax.

Keep the used stain rags in a coffee can of water until you are ready to properly dispose of them according to your morals, or the guidelines in your state. I used to work in a furniture factory. I have seen oily rags smolder and combust. I cannot over-emphasize this.

There is nothing really wrong with painting the metal on a rifle. I would go for a semi-gloss black. Do not paint the bolt. It should remain in what's called "the white." That means polished but unblued/unfinished.

Before anyone looks down upon painting the metal on a gun, keep in mind that the UK, Belgium, Argentina, and some other nations I can't think of, commonly painted their military issue small arms. If you are an admirer of the FN/FAL or the Lee-Enfield, those rifles very often had the metal painted.