Non-Union?

bbsam

Staff member
Wouldn't be too surprising. So far they are billing it as a "customer satisfaction tool". We'll see.

bbsam

Staff member
I see a Ground driver on my route and he seems like a nice guy, but there are days when hes completely done with his route at 1pm. Keep in mind hes 1 of 2 Ground routes in a town that has 12 UPS routes 4 Express routes and 1 H.D. route, how does the contractor make any money at this? At UPS we will consolidate routes to better position them as far as profit is concerned and I know that there are days that Express will run one less route to better their profit, but this route has got to be killing the contractor on some days. Thats just it though FedEx does not have to share in the pain because they pay on the piece and the stop. I just don't understand why anyone would get into this deal with FedEx. Well what ever cheap rates or not UPS has retained and won back accounts on the service alone, so keep on keeping on FedEx Ground.
We've never been busier in our terminal. Consolidation is on the way in Illinois. ISP model makes consolidation far easier and productive for everyone.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I'm not questioning at all rather you and your building is or isn't busy Bbsam, my point is that due to the set-up at Ground and H.D. you guys are at unfair advantage. If your busy thats good for you but this guy has days that hes done by 1PM and recently he has said that his route is really light. So if you can walk on water thats great, but maybe you should come out to California and turn water into wine for these guys.

FedExer267

My only question is how would they do this when they cant get ahold of us anymore. Are they actually gonna spring for communicating with us through the scanner just curious.

FedExer267

I'm not questioning at all rather you and your building is or isn't busy Bbsam, my point is that due to the set-up at Ground and H.D. you guys are at unfair advantage. If your busy thats good for you but this guy has days that hes done by 1PM and recently he has said that his route is really light. So if you can walk on water thats great, but maybe you should come out to California and turn water into wine for these guys.
Hey Brown287 I think it depends on what part of California your in. I know where I am i am busy everyday however I usually make my first stop around 8 am and my last around 230. But I know some routes in my terminal go out empty.

FedExer267

What are referring to, how do they communicate with you guys now?
Oh they FedEx that is call us on our personal cell phones. I was getting tired of paying their bill putting me over minutes so I leave mine at home. If they want to get ahold of me they can provide me with one remember I am on government assistance as it is and cant afford to pay their bill.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's exactly how they do it.

At Express, we are dispatched through the Power Pad, and I'm sure your device has the same capability. I understand that with Ground, customers must call-in a day ahead for an on-call. At Express, the customer can call-in the same day right up to the cut-off time, and if they have enough pull, Dispatch can override the cut-off and force the pickup through. And customers know how to work the system. If I have a 1500 cut-off, you can be assured that there will be several customers who wait until the last minute trying to buy themselves some extra time. Most of the time, their gamble pays-off. And that's just the cut-off for when they can call-in. They might not really be ready until 1600 and when you walk in at 1545 they expect you to wait.

Last edited:

FedExer267

They expect you to wait. Well I have news for them I dont get paid by the hour therefor there will be no waiting. If they have a problem with that to bad. If they dont like it oh well, since I dont get overtime or even a hourly rate I cant afford to pay my daycare overtime unless they take foodstamps=) There FedEx goes taking advantage of the fact we get paid for 8 but or expected to work 14. Funny how they advertise 14 bucks a hour but when you do the math 600 a week for 60 to 70 hours pretty pathetic.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They expect you to wait. Well I have news for them I dont get paid by the hour therefor there will be no waiting. If they have a problem with that to bad. If they dont like it oh well, since I dont get overtime or even a hourly rate I cant afford to pay my daycare overtime unless they take foodstamps=) There FedEx goes taking advantage of the fact we get paid for 8 but or expected to work 14. Funny how they advertise 14 bucks a hour but when you do the math 600 a week for 60 to 70 hours pretty pathetic.

Yes they do, and the stories and stalling techniques are many and varied. I'll wait a few minutes if I can, but if I can't, I've always got the address of the closest BSC or drop box memorized. I also know what you mean about the flat rate salary. The contractor in my area pays $650 per week and $700 per week if you drive a straight truck, and most of those drivers are working 50 to 60 hours per week too. It's all part of the scam.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
At UPS we have never been expected to provide our own form of communication. Yes I have a cell phone and yes I get calls and make calls all day associated with UPS, but never could they make us use our own phones. Before our DIAD's had the ability to receive and send out messages we were all issued beepers, and before that they would call your scheduled pickups trying to find you. I would suggest your company discount at Verizon or Sprint but I don't know how that would help you Ground guys. Seeing that your not FedEx employees. So let me see if I get this right, $600.00 a week and your expected to work 60 hours and provide your own phone, hell do you to the maintenance on the truck to? What else does FedEx really think they can get away with, and don't forget as you have stated your on Government assistance. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. taxpayer for subsidizing FedEx.

FedExer267

600 a week expected to use our personal phones like I said I leave mine at home now. Lets face it being in Southern California is not cheap. My case worker is even astounded that I work 60 hours a week and get over 700 dollars in food stamps 400 plus in cash aid and ofcourse Medical. All supplied to us by the Tax Payers with real jobs.

FedEx2000

Hey Brown287 I think it depends on what part of California your in. I know where I am i am busy everyday however I usually make my first stop around 8 am and my last around 230. But I know some routes in my terminal go out empty.

By my clock, that is only 6.5 hrs on road per day.....even if you have 1.5 hrs of stem time each day, that's 8 hrs a day. Please explain how that can possibly add up to 60+ hours per week?

FedExer267

By my clock, that is only 6.5 hrs on road per day.....even if you have 1.5 hrs of stem time each day, that's 8 hrs a day. Please explain how that can possibly add up to 60+ hours per week?
Finish at 230 delivering then 30 pickups starting at 3pm which with last pick up at 5pm at 3pm your already on hour 8 finish your last pick up about 510 then drive back to the bulding punch out around 630 thats 11 in a half to 12 hours a day.

FedExer267

your time starts a soon as you grab your scanner to when you turn it in. 12 hour day with a 30 minute break just long enough to grab a bite then start driving to your pickups. I dont know about you but my pickups cover 5 zipcodes.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I imagine that it must be pretty hard to find competent employees for that kind of pay. We all know the saying, "you get what you pay for". Well good luck with your plight, it seems you will need some.

FedExer267

I imagine that it must be pretty hard to find competent employees for that kind of pay. We all know the saying, "you get what you pay for". Well good luck with your plight, it seems you will need some.
Well Brown287 when people chime in who are obviously managers you then need to describe to them in detail what you do because apparently they belive you should only be paid for the delivery aspect of the business. Nevermind that their employees the loaders are sent home before load is done and now we are expected to finish the load... hmmmm free labor to FedEx. Maybe we should all just leave whats not loaded on the truck behind its not are job to load the truck.
Take into consideration the job basically as we all now is to empty the truck and fill it back up with pick ups but according to 2000 that dosent count on our hours. Yes I roll out the door around 8 am but I have been there since 630 going thru the load and finishing loading what is coming down the belt because they need to send preloaders home to save money. I work 12 everyday and get a 30 minute break sometimes not all the time. But apparently I should load my truck and do pickups and drive back and forth for free.
The reason we are not done at 6.5 hours is because we have the sales staff that has no problem telling a customer sure you can have a 5pm pickup after all they get paid for what we pick up but we dont we are now on our time. You think if FedEx cared they would check with the driver to see when he is in that zipcode instead of making our days longer with no extra pay. I have a idea if there are any Ups Guys who want some sales leads hit me up, Hey whatever I can do to get off at a decent time and feel like I might of made a buck.