Not Enough Adults

vantexan

Brace yourself for the upcoming decade as the gains many countries have made start to unwind for a very basic reason: not enough adults. The U.S. has an advantage over many countries in that we have a fairly large Millennial generation. A lot of countries don't. Gen-X is a bit small, and for the next 10-14 years that's going to slow us down a bit. But then our Millennials take over, coming into their own as adult consumers. But most of the world doesn't have that large a Millennial generation. You have to have enough consumption to sustain a thriving economy. Baby Boomers are retiring and spending less. Whether you think less consumption is a good thing or not it matters for many countries as the life they hope to have won't materialize. This will affect global stability. Imagine reverting to a time where if you don't have enough you invade the next country over to take what they have. Probably won't affect me too much at my age but I worry about the young in my family and the world they'll face. The world's population in most places are aging out without enough adults to replace them. That may be a factor in why the Biden administration is allowing so many in now. Going about it the wrong way if so but the truth is an influx of young adults means more future children plus more consumption now to feed, clothe, and house them. I highly recommend Peter Zeihan on YouTube for a lot of enlightenment about what current and future demographic trends mean for all of us.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Brace yourself for the upcoming decade as the gains many countries have made start to unwind for a very basic reason: not enough adults. The U.S. has an advantage over many countries in that we have a fairly large Millennial generation. A lot of countries don't. Gen-X is a bit small, and for the next 10-14 years that's going to slow us down a bit. But then our Millennials take over, coming into their own as adult consumers. But most of the world doesn't have that large a Millennial generation. You have to have enough consumption to sustain a thriving economy. Baby Boomers are retiring and spending less. Whether you think less consumption is a good thing or not it matters for many countries as the life they hope to have won't materialize. This will affect global stability. Imagine reverting to a time where if you don't have enough you invade the next country over to take what they have. Probably won't affect me too much at my age but I worry about the young in my family and the world they'll face. The world's population in most places are aging out without enough adults to replace them. That may be a factor in why the Biden administration is allowing so many in now. Going about it the wrong way if so but the truth is an influx of young adults means more future children plus more consumption now to feed, clothe, and house them. I highly recommend Peter Zeihan on YouTube for a lot of enlightenment about what current and future demographic trends mean for all of us.
This baby boomer is retired and spending more.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Gen-X is a bit small, and for the next 10-14 years that's going to slow us down a bit. But then our Millennials take over, coming into their own as adult consumers.
Lolwut? The majority of the millennial population is well into their thirties, the oldest already past 40.

Pullman Brown

Zeihan is a geographical determinist! He has a lot of good insight.

vantexan

One needs to be in their highest paid years to be considered "adult consumers"? What exactly do they need to be spending?
They have mortgages, cars, kids, credit cards, vacations, RV's, etc. What you're missing is most retirees spend less than they did when they were working. Presumably they have a good deal less income. As Baby Boomers retire(and the oldest are now 76) that's taking spending out of the economy. The following generation, the Gen-Xers, are a much smaller generation so there won't be as much spending as the Baby Boomers. The Millennials will rev the economy back up. The U.S. is fortunate to have a lot more Millennials than other countrys. China and Japan for example have much older populations that are aging out and their populations are collapsing. That will greatly change how the world operates in the future.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
They have mortgages, cars, kids, credit cards, vacations, RV's, etc. What you're missing is most retirees spend less than they did when they were working. Presumably they have a good deal less income. As Baby Boomers retire(and the oldest are now 76) that's taking spending out of the economy. The following generation, the Gen-Xers, are a much smaller generation so there won't be as much spending as the Baby Boomers. The Millennials will rev the economy back up. The U.S. is fortunate to have a lot more Millennials than other countrys. China and Japan for example have much older populations that are aging out and their populations are collapsing. That will greatly change how the world operates in the future.
I know most retirees have and spend less than when they were working. But millennials are already paying for cars, kids, credit cards, and vacations. Mortgages? Unlikely with the way things are going and I don't see millennials and younger ever getting into the RVing thing the way boomers and older Xers have and millennials will never be as big of spenders as boomers after experiencing two economic ass-rapings before their mid thirties.

Mutineer

The U.S. is fortunate to have a lot more Millennials than other countrys.

Fortunate?

Covid hysteria, global warming, we need more immigrants, gun control, men can be women and women can be men, white males are all terrible people, etc.

Millennials and Gen Z swallowed it ALL hook, line, and sinker.

They will line up to swallow all the nonsense that has yet to be conjured.

And they'll be gagging for more.

vantexan

Fortunate?

Covid hysteria, global warming, we need more immigrants, gun control, men can be women and women can be men, white males are all terrible people, etc.

Millennials and Gen Z swallowed it ALL hook, line, and sinker.

They will line up to swallow all the nonsense that has yet to be conjured.

And they'll be gagging for more.
Believe it or not there are conservative young adults too. If all us Boomers are aging out what more is there than those we have?

vantexan

I know most retirees have and spend less than when they were working. But millennials are already paying for cars, kids, credit cards, and vacations. Mortgages? Unlikely with the way things are going and I don't see millennials and younger ever getting into the RVing thing the way boomers and older Xers have and millennials will never be as big of spenders as boomers after experiencing two economic ass-rapings before their mid thirties.
You're likely right. And that's the point. If they aren't spending then there won't be a great economy. Times have changed and are changing still.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Until we all have devices implanted in our heads, the younger generations will always be spending their income on the next great thing.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Live within your means and don't spend everything paycheck to paycheck. Put some away for future years.
Noticed in my area when covid shut down everything and people lost their jobs that a lot of houses went on the market and people in brand new trucks and SUVs were lined up in food lines looking for a handout.

vantexan

Live within your means and don't spend everything paycheck to paycheck. Put some away for future years.
Noticed in my area when covid shut down everything and people lost their jobs that a lot of houses went on the market and people in brand new trucks and SUVs were lined up in food lines looking for a handout.
You're not understanding the point of my post. The populations of many countries are collapsing because they aren't replacing themselves. In the case of China it's expected that their population will go from the current 1.3 billion or so down to 750 million by 2050. The U.S. is better off demographically than most because we have a sizeable Millennial population. The only other country that can say that in Western developed nations is New Zealand which still has a small population. Europe is in trouble. There are other factors to consider too. What is happening is the world we've created in the last 40 years is falling apart. Countries that have been striving to improve their lives will come up short of the development the developed countries have enjoyed. This will dramatically affect the lives people live, even in the U.S. as world trade is going to take a big hit. It's ironic that we argue over which side will be in control in this country when there are demographic forces at work that will completely change everything. Look for the expansion of automation and robotics and AI. That might be our saving grace but much of the world won't have that option.

vantexan

Nothing has ever changed that is still the way of the world

So more people = more prosperity no matter what?
Gee why isn't India the most powerful nation on earth then?
Where is Brazil's thriving tech and biomedical industry?

Your mindset is the problem with conservatives, you are scared :censored2:less of telling the truth: not all cultures are equal and simply substituting the people of a successful culture with those from unsuccessful cultures WILL NOT WORK

This is what generations of our politicians knew from day 1 of our founding until it was subverted and traded away under our feet
The info I'm getting isn't from a conservative. And nothing has ever changed? Beyond Russia invading Ukraine there are very few instances in recent decades of one country invading another to take it over. Compare that to colonial times when that was the basis for Europe's economies.

If you were more familiar with India you would know there are multiple ethnicities, cultures, languages, and religions within its borders.

And apparently you aren't aware of the great strides Brazil has made in the last two decades. But that is about to end because they are very vulnerable to trade problems with their partners, particularly Russia.

When did liberals start saying that cultures aren't equal? Isn't that at the heart of their claims of racism? And have you never seen people come from those cultures and work hard and thrive in the U.S.? Apparently you aren't aware of the development in places like India that is turning out world class doctors and engineers. But their population is too big too support most with their economy. But it has improved for many millions there.

vantexan

Sucks to be them. They should have saved more.
Geez, guys, it's like banging my head against a wall. It's not about people doing more to have a better life. It's about the reality that most people when they retire don't have the income to spend like they did when they were working. Think about that. That means the spending we took for granted from a huge generation in their prime earning years to drive the economy is going away. Has huge ramifications for our economy going forward. And outside of the U.S. it's even worse because they aren't replacing themselves at an adequate rate. The world we've taken for granted for decades is changing quickly and drastically. Expect to see real effects of this by 2030 and even more so in coming decades.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Geez, guys, it's like banging my head against a wall. It's not about people doing more to have a better life. It's about the reality that most people when they retire don't have the income to spend like they did when they were working. Think about that. That means the spending we took for granted from a huge generation in their prime earning years to drive the economy is going away. Has huge ramifications for our economy going forward. And outside of the U.S. it's even worse because they aren't replacing themselves at an adequate rate. The world we've taken for granted for decades is changing quickly and drastically. Expect to see real effects of this by 2030 and even more so in coming decades.
You including the massive numbers of illegal's?