Numbers Are Out

McFeely

Huge Member
Everyone is having issues, but you deny it because... reasons?

Is UPS (our most direct competitor) having the issues of the same magnitude that FedEx is? Service levels (I think we're 85% on time), turnover rate/staffing issues, freight delays?

Asking for real, because I do believe all sectors of blue collar jobs are having some issues. I don't think that UPS is having the same problems we are.

I have NEVER seen morale as low as it is now. Senior level employees leaving, we cannot hire, new employees leaving within 6 months. My station is only hiring swings now because it looks like a higher starting wage to get people in the door. They're completely ignoring the open routes and regular courier positions we need filled. Not sure what it's like at all other stations and districts, but we're struggling HARD right now.

Aquaman

Everyone is having issues, but you deny it because... reasons?
it’s like you think none of us remember pre-covid lol. Like it was 30 years ago. Like many of this companies problems weren’t reading their ugly head before this pandemic started. Hiring was a problem before COVID. Pay was a problem before COVID. Retiring pilots, increasing business to residential…. All there.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Is UPS (our most direct competitor) having the issues of the same magnitude that FedEx is? Service levels (I think we're 85% on time), turnover rate/staffing issues, freight delays?

Asking for real, because I do believe all sectors of blue collar jobs are having some issues. I don't think that UPS is having the same problems we are.
UPS isn't have staffing issues to the degree that we are, no. UPS is solving some of its service issues in one area by pushing its version of PO service from 1030 to 1200 while we maintain it at 1030. I know that their volume is starting to ease up some, at least around here. Freight delays? Air, yes.

I have NEVER seen morale as low as it is now. Senior level employees leaving, we cannot hire, new employees leaving within 6 months. My station is only hiring swings now because it looks like a higher starting wage to get people in the door. They're completely ignoring the open routes and regular courier positions we need filled. Not sure what it's like at all other stations and districts, but we're struggling HARD right now.
Some stations are having those issues. The issues between Memphis and Nashville have been easing gradually and things are settling down. Not perfect, but manageable. Across the region, it's hit or miss with the overall trend being positive.

A lot of it depends on what other jobs are available in that area. There are a couple of industrial parks in the area that are struggling to add and retain employees. Two new plants are nearing the end of construction and they're hoping that things get closer to normal soon. They'll bring in other people from their other plants to do the startup but they're worried that they may not be able to recruit enough people to run at full production. Go a hundred miles from here and there are places that aren't having issues.

59 Dano

it’s like you think none of us remember pre-covid lol. Like it was 30 years ago. Like many of this companies problems weren’t reading their ugly head before this pandemic started. Hiring was a problem before COVID. Pay was a problem before COVID. Retiring pilots, increasing business to residential…. All there.
Right, because there was a pilot shortage in 2019 and we were short-staffed all over the place. Got it.

MAKAVELI

UPS isn't have staffing issues to the degree that we are, no. UPS is solving some of its service issues in one area by pushing its version of PO service from 1030 to 1200 while we maintain it at 1030. I know that their volume is starting to ease up some, at least around here. Freight delays? Air, yes.

Some stations are having those issues. The issues between Memphis and Nashville have been easing gradually and things are settling down. Not perfect, but manageable. Across the region, it's hit or miss with the overall trend being positive.

A lot of it depends on what other jobs are available in that area. There are a couple of industrial parks in the area that are struggling to add and retain employees. Two new plants are nearing the end of construction and they're hoping that things get closer to normal soon. They'll bring in other people from their other plants to do the startup but they're worried that they may not be able to recruit enough people to run at full production. Go a hundred miles from here and there are places that aren't having issues.
UPS has the same 10:30 business 12:00 resi overnight service that we do. But their service percentage is much higher than FedEx. Lol

McFeely

Huge Member
UPS has the same 10:30 business 12:00 resi overnight service that we do. But their service percentage is much higher than FedEx. Lol

UPS routes are generally smaller as well. I would assume they each have less Priority stops in a smaller area than each of our routes do.

Aquaman

Gotta pay more. If they’re worried they won’t be able to recruit enough people. Then they’re not paying enough. If you can’t afford to pay enough. Well you can’t afford to be in business in 2022 then. 10 companies paying $20/hr are going to lose out to the 11th company that pays $22/hr. The other 10 feel like they’re pay is competitive, but you have to be number 1 now. People are never going to go back to seeking $15/hr jobs. It is NEVER going to happen. That ship has sailed. And in the words of Ricky Bobby… in 2022 if you ain’t first you’re last.

yadig

Dude, if it was as easy as you seem to think it is, they'd have done it long ago.

I've mentioned this before. When they started the temporary $3 an hour peak premium in the Nashville market, there was an immediate and significant uptick in employee morale. A couple of weeks later everyone was back to the way they were. After peak they announced that they were leaving it in place. The reaction? Crickets.

No one denies that there are benefits to better pay but you act like there will be unicorns and rainbows if they crank up the pay.
Duh! It wasn’t made permanent and if you call out sick or use vacation you loose it. Just another carrot being dangled out in front of you! People know what that means and they know it’s just a matter of time before they take it back.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I've mentioned this before. When they started the temporary $3 an hour peak premium in the Nashville market, there was an immediate and significant uptick in employee morale. A couple of weeks later everyone was back to the way they were. After peak they announced that they were leaving it in place. The reaction? Crickets.
So how do you want them to react? Do a group tap-dance, then throw a ticker tape parade for Fred?

That extra $3 an hour is probably where they should have been at all along. TTKU Durwood.

Aquaman

So how do you want them to react? Do a group tap-dance, then throw a ticker tape parade for Fred?

That extra $3 an hour is probably where they should have been at all along. TTKU Durwood.
He’s as clueless as the rest of this company regarding morale. Pay is by far the easiest way to improve it. But like I’ve said in other posts… this place does nothing for employees. It’s a clock in clock out warehouse job. For every single job classification. All you have to do is look around at what other companies do. I’ve been at the same station for 15 years and my family has never set foot on FedEx property. You can bump me up $3/hr when I’m due $7/hr. But the sentiment about this place won’t change.

Aquaman

Duh! It wasn’t made permanent and if you call out sick or use vacation you loose it. Just another carrot being dangled out in front of you! People know what that means and they know it’s just a matter of time before they take it back.
Also you can’t really make up lost pay for employees. You could top me out right now. But I’m not going to forget the 7 years I should’ve already been topped out… and my 401K REALLY won’t forget it.

Artee

Absolutely. We are in a market that is getting the extra $3/hr. Thats where the pay should have been the last couple years. Its not like FDX is going above and beyond. They are finally catching up. I just got off vacation last week and could not understand why my check was smaller today. Forgot you only get the extra $3/hr for hours worked. Not vacation,sick,personals. Typical FDX, still fawking with peoples pay. Just grow up FDX and make the damn thing permanent and quit playing games. FDX cannot figure out why people are not jumping for joy for the extra money. They are constantly behind the curve. I don't think they have had a decent idea since before Zapmail.

yadig

Absolutely. We are in a market that is getting the extra $3/hr. Thats where the pay should have been the last couple years. Its not like FDX is going above and beyond. They are finally catching up. I just got off vacation last week and could not understand why my check was smaller today. Forgot you only get the extra $3/hr for hours worked. Not vacation,sick,personals. Typical FDX, still fawking with peoples pay. Just grow up FDX and make the damn thing permanent and quit playing games. FDX cannot figure out why people are not jumping for joy for the extra money. They are constantly behind the curve. I don't think they have had a decent idea since before Zapmail.
They will never change till we stand together and vote yes! The old heads are starting to leave and that will definitely help. I heard a driver say the other day “they’ve screwed me for twenty and now I’m returning the favor.” That’s not a happy employee. I know dano he should quit.

59 Dano

Gotta pay more. If they’re worried they won’t be able to recruit enough people. Then they’re not paying enough. If you can’t afford to pay enough. Well you can’t afford to be in business in 2022 then. 10 companies paying $20/hr are going to lose out to the 11th company that pays $22/hr. The other 10 feel like they’re pay is competitive, but you have to be number 1 now. People are never going to go back to seeking $15/hr jobs. It is NEVER going to happen. That ship has sailed. And in the words of Ricky Bobby… in 2022 if you ain’t first you’re last.
That's not quite how it works. Otherwise, UPS would be fully staffed with castoffs from Express and Ground. UPS isn't fully staffed, and people aren't leaving Ground and Express in droves to go there. Express is typically easier than Ground and with better compensation, yet Express isn't fully staffed with former Ground guys.

59 Dano

Express is still paying them the money and has been for the past 7 months. Feel free to backpedal.

59 Dano

He’s as clueless as the rest of this company regarding morale. Pay is by far the easiest way to improve it.

Also you can’t really make up lost pay for employees. You could top me out right now. But I’m not going to forget the 7 years I should’ve already been topped out… and my 401K REALLY won’t forget it.
BUT BETTER PAY CREATES BETTER MORALE!!!!