Off Topic --

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We can’t keep people WITH benefits. I’m wondering how they’ll find people for those jobs.
When they do, it'll be another revolving door for X only at a faster speed. People coming in late or not at all. Some may go to break and never return. Great times for managers ahead (heh, heh!)

Cactus

Others said the move takes FedEx in the wrong direction.

“They should be downsizing the Express network, not expanding it,” said Jindel, who is advocating for FedEx to merge Express with its more efficient North American Ground operation that outsources delivery to a network of independent providers.

“Why don’t they use their Ground contractors to deliver (those packages) for them?” said Jindel, who helped found Roadway Package System (RPS), which was rebranded as FedEx Ground in 2000 - two years after FedEx bought its parent company.

Well, I'm sure that will all fall on Fred's deaf ears as in goodbye to RLA if they do.

Last edited:

It will be fine

“They should be downsizing the Express network, not expanding it,” said Jindel, who is advocating for FedEx to merge Express with its more efficient North American Ground operation that outsources delivery to a network of independent providers.

“Why don’t they use their Ground contractors to deliver (those packages) for them?” said Jindel, who helped found Roadway Package System (RPS), which was rebranded as FedEx Ground in 2000 - two years after FedEx bought its parent company.

Well, I'm sure that will all fall on Fred's deaf ears as in goodbye to RLA if they do.
Operating fewer trucks and outsourcing a large segment of their delivery operation will make Express less of an airline? How do you figure?

bacha29

The answer lies in the fact that the majority of the people they're hiring will be in the low volume high mileage bad road rural areas. It would appear that X is finally coming to the realization the whole world is NOT just one great big metropolis where no tires ever come in contact with an unpaved surface.
While there will be much smaller labor pool to draw from job opportunities out there are also few and far between.
What is clear is that the rural areas especially the depressed ones are putting them all in the poor house and are doing everything they can lessen it's impact on earnings. All of them in turn have only two choices and neither is a good one. Be either the " *hitter" the one dumping his boonie boxes on to someone else or
the " *hittee" the one who's taking out the other guys boxes along with his own. BTW that * is meant as a substitute for the letter...S.

Cactus

Operating fewer trucks and outsourcing a large segment of their delivery operation will make Express less of an airline? How do you figure?
Any merging with Ground will derail Fred's "Special Deal" RLA classification which is a union firewall which was acquired by Fred heavily greasing politicians on Capital Hill. It also cost him plenty. Do you think he really wants to jeopardize that?

Where have you been?

It will be fine

Any merging with Ground will derail Fred's "Special Deal" RLA classification which is a union firewall which was acquired by Fred heavily greasing politicians on Capital Hill. It also cost him plenty. Do you think he really wants to jeopardize that?

Where have you been?
Significantly reducing Express ground transportation would bolster the claim that they are an airline properly covered under the RLA. Why do you think it would go the other way?

Meat

Where have you been?

I’m not sure if the threat of unionization (or union power in general) is what it once was.

I have NEVER overheard a co-worker talking about the need to unionize.

Furthermore, didn't most of the freight stations that unionized decertify?

Cactus

I’m not sure if the threat of unionization (or union power in general) is what it once was.

I have NEVER overheard a co-worker talking about the need to unionize.

Furthermore, didn't most of the freight stations that unionized decertify?
I think most have given up on any ideas to bring in the union. The Teamsters have proven themselves as weak and uncooperative. Employees have sadly accepted Express for what it is or simply quit and moved on to greener pastures.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Where have you been?

LOL!!! The Ground/Express relationship would be a vendor relationship between the two independent operating companies, just like it is now. Where have you been?

Significantly reducing Express ground transportation would bolster the claim that they are an airline properly covered under the RLA. Why do you think it would go the other way?

Because Cactus.

Cactus

LOL!!! The Ground/Express relationship would be a vendor relationship between the two independent operating companies, just like it is now. Where have you been?
The key word is MERGING, Sorry that your illiteracy keeps getting in your way.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I just heard a commercial on the radio for handlers and material handlers at a Fedex ramp in my area. That’s a first for me. I’ve never heard FedEx Express advertise for jobs, even at Peak.

Fixxxer

I just heard a commercial on the radio for handlers and material handlers at a Fedex ramp in my area. That’s a first for me. I’ve never heard FedEx Express advertise for jobs, even at Peak.
That’s a first for me too. Although our station does have a constantly sponsored ad on Indeed for handlers and couriers plus offering retention bonuses ... so I guess it’s just a matter of time. You think they’d be smart enough to just up the starting wage to stay competitive but oh well

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yay summer time madness is back!

I transfer to a co location to cover a more rural area than my bid route...
sketch-1561296711069.png

I'm averaging 80 to 120 stops in my new area. Less stress on the body, but my poor boxvan is taking a beating... I don't want this route in September, so they better find a replacement driver soon

complete dead zone in terms of cellphone reception for half of the route, so doing my pre-trip/ post-trip inspection is imperative.
sketch-1561296448014.png

One of my stops to the forest fire service... heading into a lake community.

DSC_0118.JPG

Too bad it's not connected... guess it's just a make shift out house now

_20190330_064611.JPG

They'll be using my bid route as a training program for the new incoming drivers.

With having Amazon DSPs into the mix, the race to find peak season workers should start now!