Oh no ! Another accident at our station !

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But that's not the root of the problem.

Gee, when you've got your manager breathing down your neck, too many stops, and are threatened with the loss of your job both overtly and implicitly on a constant basis, why would you feel pressured? FedEx has taken micromanagement to a new extreme and a new low. I would love to see a fat, cubicle-bound Memphoid (the folks that "think up" this fecal matter) have to run an actual route and meet all goals and expectations.

That is the root of the problem, LTFedExer.

LTFedExer

Gee, when you've got your manager breathing down your neck, too many stops, and are threatened with the loss of your job both overtly and implicitly on a constant basis, why would you feel pressured? FedEx has taken micromanagement to a new extreme and a new low. I would love to see a fat, cubicle-bound Memphoid (the folks that "think up" this fecal matter) have to run an actual route and meet all goals and expectations.

That is the root of the problem, LTFedExer.
Route goals are set by the numbers you ran the past 6 months. If you did the stops the first 6 months, why should that change? Granted, weather/accidents/etc slow you down every now and then. But, to say you will lose your job due to lates? Can you honestly say you know someone that was fired for having lates?

1 day we left the building late.I knew I would have lates and told my manager. He told me to go. I had 9 stops/22 lates. New procedure is my manager must write a letter to the DM, bypassing the SM. Nothing happened to me, no letter, no OLCC, nothing.

So please don't tell me because you go out with more than the sheet says you should have, you need to go any faster than you've been going.

BTW, IF the day comes that I am afraid to go into work scared because I think that's the day I'll be fired, they won't need to fire me, I'll hand them my ID and walk out.

Ghostwriter

I could have not said it better, MrFedEx. Some engineers have not even cranked up W700 or sprinter much less productively ran a route. However, the spreadsheet and mapquest only provides information in a perfect scenario. The spread sheet equation has factors missing such as heavy traffic, late freight, unmarked houses, bad weather, and the million other reasons why a stop can not be done every 2.5 minutes. Sitting in a nice air conditioned office and viewing stats from a computer hardly gives an accurate account of what we do everyday...Yet, wait- then again it is all of our fault anyway- so I guess no need for actual logic.

LTFedExer

The spread sheet equation has factors missing such as heavy traffic, late freight, unmarked houses, bad weather, and the million other reasons why a stop can not be done every 2.5 minutes.
Those numbers are based on the past 6 months of work YOU did. 'Heavy traffic, late freight, unmarked houses, bad weather, and the million other reasons' are all factored in.

Put any spin on it you want, YOU and only YOU are responsible for setting the numbers and only YOU are responsible for doing only what you've been doing the whole time. Even if you take out 20 stops more than what the sheet says, you're SPH doesn't change, you just finish X minutes/hours later.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Those numbers are based on the past 6 months of work YOU did. 'Heavy traffic, late freight, unmarked houses, bad weather, and the million other reasons' are all factored in.

Put any spin on it you want, YOU and only YOU are responsible for setting the numbers and only YOU are responsible for doing only what you've been doing the whole time. Even if you take out 20 stops more than what the sheet says, you're SPH doesn't change, you just finish X minutes/hours later.

BS.

Ghostwriter

I have to disagree with you LFfedexer. routes change like the wind, often times without logic. If route changes the demographics of the rte will also change. If the goal is not reset and a person is covering more territory with the same goal time, how can that be fair? People drop all the way back to the base-line rtes, what about them? However, Anything to defend the lowly courier will be always be considered "spin". I guess stuff rolls downhill and it will always be the courier's fault (even when freight arrives at a station 1,2,3,4,5 hours late. Good Deflection and replacement of blame is the name of the game.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Route goals are set by the numbers you ran the past 6 months. If you did the stops the first 6 months, why should that change? Granted, weather/accidents/etc slow you down every now and then.

Amen. My favorite courier EVER swore up and down that he couldn't make his goals from the first day we started basing them on the 6 month average. He went so far as to deny that he ran those numbers.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Amen. My favorite courier EVER swore up and down that he couldn't make his goals from the first day we started basing them on the 6 month average. He went so far as to deny that he ran those numbers.

Well it's probably true. Managers like you and many others along with clueless engineers just go ahead and raise the bar due to a shift in the wind direction and oh yes, without a checkride.

LTFedExer

I have to disagree with you LFfedexer. routes change like the wind, often times without logic. If route changes the demographics of the rte will also change. If the goal is not reset and a person is covering more territory with the same goal time, how can that be fair?
Routes do change on occasion. But, those are in the minority. If you have a problem with the goals on a route, get a checkride. If you can't get a checkride on a changed route, then the problem lies with your manager. SPH numbers are not pulled from thin air, they are created by the courier running them.

We have 1 route that they occasionally ask me to run ( I am not a swing driver, but know the route very well) that NOBODY can come close to doing what the regular courier can do. I feel sorry if he leaves. The incoming courier will never make those goals. Is it wrong? You decide. But, this courier shows it can be done. And for the record, I KNOW he doesn't cheat.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Kind of sounds like a manager talking smack about his lowly hourlies. Is the "59" part of your username your IQ?

59 Dano

Well it's probably true. Managers like you and many others along with clueless engineers just go ahead and raise the bar due to a shift in the wind direction and oh yes, without a checkride.

The bar was his average performance over the previous 6 months. I'm not the idiot denying my own demonstrated performance, he is. When you average 8 SPH over a 6 month period, a goal of 8 SPH is what we like to call 'reasonable.' When swings and others who aren't even familiar with the route can average more than 9 SPH, a goal of 8 is what we like to call 'generous.'

59 Dano

Kind of sounds like a manager talking smack about his lowly hourlies. Is the "59" part of your username your IQ?

I'm not talking smack. The guy said he wasn't capable of doing what he'd been doing for the past 6 months. I'm pointing out that he's out of his mind. Kind of like you.

Ghostwriter

With respect to most posts, (in my own opinion) a check ride is just a small glance into a route. Just because I raised the hood on my car and looked at the engine does not garuantee the engine is running effeciently. I think it would be more productive for an engineer to check ride the route (in question) for a week, only then the engineer could draw a conclusion with a more realistic first-hand experience. I mastered the art of a spread sheet in my first semester of junior college, so in that respect mostly anyone could draw unreasonable conclusions just by interpreting a simple spread sheet. If routes were spread sheets, couriers could work from home...

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
With respect to most posts, (in my own opinion) a check ride is just a small glance into a route. Just because I raised the hood on my car and looked at the engine does not garuantee the engine is running effeciently. I think it would be more productive for an engineer to check ride the route (in question) for a week, only then the engineer could draw a conclusion with a more realistic first-hand experience. I mastered the art of a spread sheet in my first semester of junior college, so in that respect mostly anyone could draw unreasonable conclusions just by interpreting a simple spread sheet. If routes were spread sheets, couriers could work from home...

I'd say, for a realistic view of a rt., someone would need to check ride it for a month. I get hvy. payroll twice a month that falls on whatever day the middle and end of the month is.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I'd say, for a realistic view of a rt., someone would need to check ride it for a month. I get hvy. payroll twice a month that falls on whatever day the middle and end of the month is.

That is not possible, it is NOT in my route editing program, therefore you are in error. You couriers are all the same, cry cry cry...boo hoo, untouchable SPH, too much work for me but John Q next to me is done by 1330 every day....we like him get over it, we golf on Sundays.

I just channelled an engineer...lol