OK for service

rod

Retired 22 years
I bet the days of just being waved on at the surprise safety inspections the State Patrols do every once in awhile are coming to an end. But then again I see where UPS has made the "Most Admired Companies" list again so who knows.

over9five

Staff member
I bet the days of just being waved on at the surprise safety inspections the State Patrols do every once in awhile are coming to an end.

Hmmm, I wonder if you're right. I've been waved thru every time I've been to one.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Fracus
Just because there has not been a DOCUMENTED DEATH with this problem does not make it OK.
As far as package cars breaking in half, really? You want to wait until we have one that breaks in half BEFORE UPS takes action? I was always told UPS was a company that took preventive action instead of reactive when it comes to safety issues.

When it comes to cracked frames, its pretty much cut and dry in most states. The truck can not be legally welded as the weld point them becomes brittle which makes the rest of the frame more vunerable to aditional cracking.

State of Virginia sells of a lot of trucks just because of this reason. Many of them relatively new.

AT one time I really believed UPS was actually very interested in safety. Now, I really believe all they are interested in is the show. Look see this hand, watch this hand, dont take your eyes off this hand, while the whole time doing as they please with the other. Especially when it comes to money.

d

My point is that the story is exaggerated on both sides.

He is no longer with UPS. Everyone who drives a brown truck should applaud this man for what he did. Yes I know him personally. I do not work in the center that he was in but we were affected by this. I was pulled over in a D.O.T. check shortly after all of his findings "came out". The truck I was driving was removed from service immediately. That was on a Friday. Monday morning there was a new fleet of package cars in our building. There already were a handful of newer trucks, but all of the old P5's and P8's were replaced over the weekend.

The only time this company believes in safety is when they are forced to.

It's all about money. There is no other force. If it cost money or has the potential to cost money there will be action. If not, it just another random thought. It's the way all business works.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Try talking to the drivers in my building who have been there for 20+ years. Broken frames is small in comparison to the crap the management in this area has pulled.

local804

My point is that the story is exaggerated on both sides.

It's all about money. There is no other force. If it cost money or has the potential to cost money there will be action. If not, it just another random thought. It's the way all business works.

Very true, that is why there are laws in place that MUST be followed. Now UPS can fork over some of that hefty profit they made because in this instance, they were caught. Safety has always been a joke here unless you wound up on a report or damaged someones balanced score card.