Old Dogs, Old Hanger On'ers

Deemster

I can not figure out why a part timer with more than 35 years and over the age of 55 would still work.

We have one at my hub. He is toped out on pension and could get the insurance for a monthly fee.

Heck, he is working for less than $10.00 per hour if you look at what he could be making sitting at home.

Not jealous, the math just does not work for me.
I could be wrong, but I was told in my hub that part timers don't have a cap on annual raises. We have a shop steward here that has well over 30 years and is in his 60's I'm sure of it.

He doesn't do much but yell at the hourlies to pick up the egress and to use a load stand "Big Man". Lol

I'd imagine he's into the $40/hour range if not right under.

Not hating but it is a giant contrast to me. Loading 4-6 trailers a night. Make $160 bucks a week. Heh

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I could be wrong, but I was told in my hub that part timers don't have a cap on annual raises. We have a shop steward here that has well over 30 years and is in his 60's I'm sure of it.

He doesn't do much but yell at the hourlies to pick up the egress and to use a load stand "Big Man". Lol

Not hating but it is a giant contrast to me. Loading 4-6 trailers a night. Make $160 bucks a week. Heh

If that old geezer is in his 60's y'all should take him to the vet and have him put down. LOL (notice the LOL)

clean hairy

If a person is on the payroll after age 65, they still have healthcare ascan employee.
But once retired, you lose healthcare at age 65?
This could be why some folks are still working past age 65?
Figured I would ask as i dunno if this is correct.

PT Car Washer

No way he is making $40/hr. $32.10 for unskilled and $33.15 sort rate.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I think people who work here a long time become institutionalized and have forgotten how to have fun.

I didn't get this job until I was in my 30's. before this I had travelled all over the world on motorcycles, trains, planes, cars, vans, buses, and with a thumb out. partied until I was nearly in re=hab. have so many wild stories I have had many people suggest I write a book.

sure, while working here for 25 years I toned it down quite a bit raising a family and such. now with the kids grown and retired I am going to pick up where I left off. maybe write that book and start a blog to share my NEW adventures with everyone.

don't have any regrets when you are 85 years old and living in a nursing home. get out when you can and live.

Rain Shield

I can understand if people still want to work, but don't give me the "Making a ton of money argument". If making a ton of money is the issue, then someone did not prepare, or they just do not understand the Math.

If your pension is topped out, you are just giving the company money and working for less than 1/3 your regular hourly wage when you look at the money left on the table.

There are exceptions, but most I see either have not done the Math or have not prepared.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I know a handful of feeder drivers who will openly tell you that they never plan on retiring. Those guys had messy, cantankerous divorces where their ex got half of their pension. They only way they don't get it, is if they don't retire.

I know of a driver who retired, but came back after his daughter got sick and needed the insurance.

For every guy who retired and never looked back, there are drivers who retired and died within the year. It's amazing how often that happens.

Some guys just like to work. For them, it really is that simple. Also, those guys with a million years seniority in feeders, most of them have mileage runs. As easy as a feeder job is, a mileage feeder job is even easier. You literally clock in, pre-trip your equipment and get rolling. Almost every mileage job we have here, you don't even hook up or break down. The only physical work you do is when you switch loads. And mileage jobs pay the best.

Everybody is different.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I can understand if people still want to work, but don't give me the "Making a ton of money argument". If making a ton of money is the issue, then someone did not prepare, or they just do not understand the Math.

If your pension is topped out, you are just giving the company money and working for less than 1/3 your regular hourly wage when you look at the money left on the table.

There are exceptions, but most I see either have not done the Math or have not prepared.
Our pension never tops out but we have had to sit down some 40 year employees and tell them they would make MORE if they retired.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Our pension never tops out but we have had to sit down some 49 year employees and tell them they would make MORE if they retired.

I think when people get to that point, it's more about feeling needed or important than actual money. They want something structured like that I guess

I would be happier retired with family at that point but everyone had their own paths

PT Car Washer

I think when people get to that point, it's more about feeling needed or important than actual money. They want something structured like that I guess

I would be happier retired with family at that point but everyone had their own paths
I believe you said the answer right there. It is more about feeling needed than the money, But making $30+/hr working PT and all the benefits and vacations and seniority options make the job hard to give up.

The Milkman

Although, with 52 weeks off a year, even more time to enjoy life!

52 weeks yr after yr..Depending on how long you stay working will dictate how many you will enjoy. They go by fast, then before you know it things could go sour and you can then say to yourself...."Why didn't I hang it up sooner?" When you had the energy and drive to do things you dreamed about while in your 40's or early 50's.. Time takes it's toll on everybody, however easy you say you have at UPS, I will tell you that waking up daily without an alarm clock, enjoying your morning cup of coffee, kicking back in your recliner and reading the daily paper is better than any job at UPS, and on the 1st of each month I smile at my direct deposit