Old-ish Guy Looking for Encouragement

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
started driving for FedEx off the street at 53. Will be 60 in Dec. In my first week one dude asked "aint you a bit long in the tooth to be starting this?" One's gotta eat to live.
Come on? FedEx? That's like comparing the NFL (UPS) to High School Football (FedEx).

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
started driving for FedEx off the street at 53. Will be 60 in Dec. In my first week one dude asked "aint you a bit long in the tooth to be starting this?" One's gotta eat to live.
people in our generation can out work these young wippersnappers anyday.
and our parents' generation could out work us any day of the week.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A bulked out W900 for the last 6 years... So FO. There are 3-4 browines covering the same area I have been running
Here's a "bulked out" FedEx truck...
Fedex-Truck.jpg

I'm in my 30s too and just started PT a few months ago after a few peak helper runs.

I had my shoulders redone 17 years ago, have survived two near fatal car wrecks that ruined my back, my hands and left arm have nerve damage (they shake badly sometimes), and have spinal narrowing and blown discs.

I still out work the kids, care about my job, show up (on time) and bust ass to do anything that needs to be done.

UPS doesn't recognize the redeeming qualities of a hard worker or good worker so expect just to be as fast and strong as the youngins.

I seem to get along fine. Only issue is pay. I'm looking at driver by the time I'm 35 and get out by 55 to 60.

It's never too late, man. I'm still eyeing freight and receiving jobs that pay 50-150% more, though.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
people in our generation can out work these young wippersnappers anyday.
and our parents' generation could out work us any day of the week.
I'll remember that tomorrow morning when the 32 year driver comes into the office complaining about his 9.3 dispatch and two air stops 4 blocks away.

Wow. I....hmmm.

Yeah man I dunno either. Physically, I've been getting better and better the last few years. Hiking backpacking jogging running swimming list goes on. I'm in the best shape I've been since high school. Hard labor has lessened my issues but not the pain. I'm not gonna let anything stop me.