Old UPS Van For Sale On Ebay

Box Ox

I put many miles on them bitches. That's the kind of truck I was just about thrown out of before UPS was forced to put seatbelts in them. That tray up front would hold your next dozen or so stops. That thing should be put in a museum.

What's the earliest model year you drove at UPS? I want another "Dam Son" moment tonight.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I thought all UPS vans were scrapped when UPS was finished with them. I didn't believe this was authentic until I saw the faint old UPS logo and the faint "United Parcel Service" text on the side of it. Was there a time when UPS sold their old vehicles?

1955 Kurb Side Grumman Olson UPS Truck Read More | eBay

I have been there in almost 15 years but there was a junkyard we used to go to get parts that had about 10 old UPS trucks in a herd in the center of the yard. I thought it would have been great to fix one up but wasn't enthusiastic enough about it even consider buying one.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I drive a 1966 for a couple years in the 80s looked just like that one
Thing ran like a raped ape

Getting it slowed down was an experience in itself

We had one that somebody screwed up, and sent a 292ci GMC to replace the 250ci GMC.

You could chirp the tires in second and third.

JL 0513

Considering we still had some in the late '70s and early '80s, I don't have to imagine.

I was thinking in a broader sense. What the job was like in 1955 being that it was much more spread out. Never really thought about it. It must have been mostly business stops on most routes covering very large areas. Can't imagine many people back then had stuff shipped to their house. How many stops per day, pkg count, how many miles...Talk about an entirely different job.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I was thinking in a broader sense. What the job was like in 1955 being that it was much more spread out. Never really thought about it. It must have been mostly business stops on most routes covering very large areas. Can't imagine many people back then had stuff shipped to their house. How many stops per day, pkg count, how many miles...Talk about an entirely different job.

Ok, you're still fairly new.

I started in 1978, and we were expanding in a big way here. My first 5-6 years were in town, and 120 stops with 25 p/u's was a normal 8-8.5 hour day.

Then, I had the chance to get onto rural routes around 1984. 90-100 stops, a handful of p/u's and around 140-160 miles was the norm. Some of the routes I ran had higher miles and less stops, some the opposite.

It was all good until the company started putting the screws to us after the 1997 strike. That was the beginning of the end.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
One Christmas in the early 70's I drove a (I'm guessing) 1946 package car.

Only 24 years old? Lucky you.

In the late '70s, we had an old Ford from the early '50s.

I'm proud to say that I finally killed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JL 0513

Ok, you're still fairly new.

I started in 1978, and we were expanding in a big way here. My first 5-6 years were in town, and 120 stops with 25 p/u's was a normal 8-8.5 hour day.

Then, I had the chance to get onto rural routes around 1984. 90-100 stops, a handful of p/u's and around 140-160 miles was the norm. Some of the routes I ran had higher miles and less stops, some the opposite.

It was all good until the company started putting the screws to us after the 1997 strike. That was the beginning of the end.

We've talked plenty about '70's and '80's. That's a whole different thing than the 50's.

JL 0513

Some interesting history there, although I knew based on the website that it would go off the rails here and there. I particularly like how the writer talks of the interstate highway system as a huge government subsidy to UPS as if it was for them only. I'm reminded of Elizabeth Warren/Obama. "If you have business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen".

badpal

I put many miles on them bitches. That's the kind of truck I was just about thrown out of before UPS was forced to put seatbelts in them. That tray up front would hold your next dozen or so stops. That thing should be put in a museum.
Cant remember that body style specifically, but ones with those big flat kinda trays in front I can, Rod in the day would that been called 300 model or maybe 400 ? And those trays accessed the motor didn't they? I can remember being trained to keep your upcoming smalls stops up there in the cab with me on that tray.

Shiftless

I didn't think I was that old?

But that was the type package car I drove. Grumman, that we called Cabco's, Package tray right over head all the way across the front side of the cab, they had a push button release bulk/rear barn doors YEE HA! I think the one I drove also was a 55 in 1976. I remember the day I got to drive the newest car in the Center on utility that was a 1972. World of difference! One day as a NEWB I was at my first or second stop in a Cabco where I went over a speed bump kinda quick only to get Bopped on the head by a full sized glass Pepsi bottle, that subsequently went out of the package car and on to the ground and I drove over it! POP! goes the bottle! I pull over and left rear tire was fine???? LUCKY ME!

I went into Feeder in early 1979. My first tractor was a 1964 International. It had been to the rail yard so many times I think it knew how to get there by itself! Loudest friend-ing Tractor that the smallest dip in the road you would have to down shift 2 to 3 gears to climb out. Meaning dropping down to go under an over pass! POS!

Ah! Those were the days my Friend's!

oldngray

nowhere special
Some of the old P400's were Fords but we also had Internationals. I think they all had that tray where you were supposed to put your next few stops.