On demand pickups.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So you scan for some stranger handing you a package on the street but you won't scan for someone who took the time to call in and pay for a special pickup?

Yep! We are told that info was input-ed when they called in, just like a letter box, we only scan the letter box code on the door and enter the piece total.

oldngray

nowhere special
Nope. Big no-no here. It generates some kind of report. We just scan the box bar-code.

You would think this company would have one system for all?

I think the reason they don't want the pickup driver scanning packages is when a package gets scanned it gets entered into the system and starts the clock ticking. More opportunity for a service failure on paper and possible refunds vs getting scanned later during normal processing.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
So you scan for some stranger handing you a package on the street but you won't scan for someone who took the time to call in and pay for a special pickup?
I was instructed by my sups not to scan any pick up pieces. Makes no sense to me but just working as directed. What do I know, I am just a dumb truck driver.

Z

ZQXC

Yep! We are told that info was input-ed when they called in, just like a letter box, we only scan the letter box code on the door and enter the piece total.

This sounds questionable to me; at my location on a LTR BOX PU it is impossible to manually enter a total. The field will remain zero until ltrs. are scanned. At such time the field automatically tallies a new total with each scan. Prevents a driver from opening a box and boosting his PU count with an imaginary 28.

No scan / No count

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The one nice thing about drop boxes is all you have to do is scan the drop box ID code and then scan all of the packages. It automatically keeps track of the count and populates that field for you.

I would think it would be awfully hard for a shipper to prove that they had dropped their letter in to the box prior to the commit time if you are told not to scan any of the packages in the box. Yes, the packages are scanned back at the center/hub, but if they are not linked to an EOD or drop box how can anyone know where they came from?

Do the right thing----take the 5-10 seconds to scan the packages in the drop box.

ArcherUTR

You can't manually enter the amount of letterbox packages anymore. As you scan each one of them, the board increments for you.