On Topic: UPS attempting to terminate newer driver after filing grievances

By The Book

No I did not take any breaks prior to using the restroom. I was working all the way up until I used the restroom and then immediately after washing my hands after going to the restroom, I clocked out and went to lunch for 30 minutes on the dot. Then began working again.
Look, there's all kinds of ways to do this. You could pull in wash,dump and go to truck and punch out and go back in and eat.... Which is actually going to take more time, but won't be considered stealing time, figure that one out. Then you could go in and wash,dump and go back to package car and sort a few stops, which is working and then punch out for lunch, which is not stealing time. They have a weak case and your BA will get you back to work. If you didn't punch out and didn't take your rest periods on the days they followed you, I'd use that in your hearing to cover the time they say you stole.

OrlandoCitySC

...but not the accusation that he was stealing time...?

Both plus harassment and dishonesty. I called in Monday morning 10/17/16 to see if I was working that day because if I am laid off for the day any one day of the week it is Monday since it's slow. They told me I was scheduled to work so to come in for work at the normal time. But the whole time they knew I was not working and the only reason they wanted me to get up, get ready and come in was so they could fire me. So another grievance is for paying me for 4 hours because they were "dishonest" and told me to come in to work when I clearly was not working. Same as if I was not called within an hour before start time and then showed up for work only to find out I wasn't working. So then they have to pay you for 4 hours for showing up for no reason. The reason they didn't want me to know or anyone else either what they were planning is they did not want my union rep to have enough time to attend the meeting in person. Because of that, he could only be there via conference call.

So the entire meeting was about my alleged dishonesty and they were dishonest all the way leading up to the meeting.

By The Book

...but not the accusation that he was stealing time...?
The union will protest the grievance and maybe file one for harassment. I firmly believe the company likes the grievance procedure because they can try these kinds of things. If no grievance procedure they would have to comply with the state laws which could cost them dearly if they would attempt to fire an individual for something so petty.

OrlandoCitySC

This entire ordeal is about teaching me a lesson and that lesson is: If you file a grievances against us, you're fired. Period. End of story. And every single driver at my Center agrees. Because they pick someone every year right before peak and try to fire them for stealing time because that's how they always have to frame it because they know they have NOT a leg to stand on if they approached it as "NOT clocking out to use the restroom."

OrlandoCitySC

The union will protest the grievance and maybe file one for harassment. I firmly believe the company likes the grievance procedure because they can try these kinds of things. If no grievance procedure they would have to comply with the state laws which could cost them dearly if they would attempt to fire an individual for something so petty.

Agree, 110%

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does anyone else think that this will be resolved before it reaches the panel with the termination reduced to a time served suspension with no back pay?

The company is trying to send a message and the OP is their scapegoat.

OrlandoCitySC

Are a casual/cover driver?

I'm a full-time package car driver, but still new enough that I probably don't have enough seniority to bid a route to drive every day. So I guess coverage is what I am. I sign up for routes when guys are on vacation so at least I can drive the same route for a week or two at a time.

By The Book

Going in, taking a leak, washing up, going out and then punching to go back inside would not be considered stealing time?
No, because he had to use the bathroom right then. Then he decided he was hungry and wanted to eat. Should he of punched out for lunch or break and then went to the bathroom and then taken his lunch,sure. He could have done the break first then bathroom then 30 minute lunch and had no problems with stealing time. It's the unaccounted for time in the diad that sticks out, and being watched at the same time.

Does anyone else think that this will be resolved before it reaches the panel with the termination reduced to a time served suspension with no back pay?

These guys do not realize how many reports there are on us.
.you can't show huge time gaps, that's sending you a big red flag and somebody is going to look at it.

OrlandoCitySC

I do think that they will offer this to me but we'll see what happens. Center Level hearing is next after grievances are all filed and then if nothing resolves there it goes to the panel in Seattle.

The stickler here to me is still that they decided to begin following me around less than 24 hours after I filed a total of seven grievances. Clear harassment and retaliation. So if they want to offer no back pay fine, I don't care. It's only been 4 days and I've already completed four semi-major house renovation projects I needed to get done before winter and couldn't before because of the repeated 14-hour days.

But if no back pay, I will insist that all the triple time from my grievances filed from before be processed and paid immediately.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Furthermore, while I was qualifying for the 30-day period and also before that driving during peak delivering every On-Car Supervisor who rode with me, even the one who began harassing me after I became full-time permanent would use the restroom several times per day at a place we just delivered to "on the clock" whether it was a restaurant, fast food chain, any other business and that included just prior to a lunch break. But now all of a sudden it was a problem because they're looking for anything they could find to use as an excuse to terminate my employment.

And something else I forgot to mention was that I was helping other new driver's understand the rules for getting on the 9.5 list, signing up to cover routes and how to file grievances because they were also being harassed who were either just above me on the seniority list or right below below me and UPS did not like me educating them so all this is is trying to make an example out of me. Another driver in our center years ago threw a punch (and missed) at a Center Manager and didn't even lose his job. So this to me is just some made up bull:censored2:.
I'd take swallow a large piece of humble pie if you plan on being here 30 plus years.

OrlandoCitySC

I'd take swallow a large piece of humble pie if you plan on being here 30 plus years.

I don't if that's the way I'll be treated. But it's fine until an IT position becomes available within or somewhere else. Or something else better suited for my degrees. Hard to say. No one should have to endure such treatment though. No one. What happened to a world of work where everyone respected each other like when my grandfather was in the prime of his working days? Sad if you ask me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seven grievances?

I have filed the grand total of one in 28 years.

You can expect part of your return to work agreement to be the retraction of all 7 of those grievances.

And you wonder why they were following you?