One big happy family 🙃

AB831

So if a Ground “employee” gets fired for let’s say releasing an alcohol shipments without a real signatures, should he tell his boss that it wasn’t his fault and the customer is to blame because they selected our crappy service and they should expect that sort of thing? Gee maybe the station manager should call that customer and give them a good ass chewing.

Get real.
It’s everyone’s fault but FredEx’s

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
For probably the next 10 to 12 months everyone and their mule will be speculating about what will happen. Kind of like a presidential election that’s still two years away. One of my pet hopes is that (at least some) ops and senior managers come under the knife as well as us plebes.
Some already have.

fdxsux

If contractors were smart and united they would get one message loud and clear across to management At 8:15 AM they're pull out of that terminal with or without the air box.

Many routes across America are high mileage and long workdays. There simply will not be any time available to stand around waiting for the air box to finally arrive.

For many it will still mean two trucks in the same area. Ground comes through first and later in the day another guy comes bringing the air box. And for many there isn't enough air box to have dedicated trucks running it. And if that is the way contractors end up doing it they going to lose their feces discharge portals. ( Can't use the A word on here).
One of our drivers talked to a Ground contractor that lives on his route. The contractor said that with what he expects to make on the express freight he won’t even be able to hire another driver. He said his drivers will leave early to start delivering their ground freight. When the express freight shows up they’ll return to the building and sort and load their own trucks (ground handlers will be gone by this time). Then they will go deliver everything and try to get pups. Sounds like a mess. We are a small area so maybe they’ll do things differently at larger stations.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
One of our drivers talked to a Ground contractor that lives on his route. The contractor said that with what he expects to make on the express freight he won’t even be able to hire another driver. He said his drivers will leave early to start delivering their ground freight. When the express freight shows up they’ll return to the building and sort and load their own trucks (ground handlers will be gone by this time). Then they will go deliver everything and try to get pups. Sounds like a mess. We are a small area so maybe they’ll do things differently at larger stations.
If the Express volume is truly as low as they portray, then there is no reason that any freight should be late. On time freight means a Leave Building time of no later than 0800.

bacha29

Rural routes are so big that they are not measured in neighborhoods but rather multiple counties. Fedex has this "you're going right past it " frame of mind when it comes to passing off the air boxes onto a Ground contractors truck. A contractor employed drivers area is so big that there is simply nowhere near enough time in his day to hang around at the terminal waiting for that air box to finally get there and still cover and clean his entire route. And if it's coming into a little regional or county airport you don't know when it's even going to get there if at all or how far from the terminal it's located.
So the contractor is faced with having to put on additional trucks to compensate for the reduced range of his ground routes or use dedicated air box only trucks to wait around for the air to arrive then go out and cover the same area a couple of hours later and with a light load and limited range because he'll have to get back in time to get the air box load up and back out to the airport . Either way he'll never get enough out of it to make it profitable.

At the terminal I was at for a number of routes the first stop of the day was 70 miles away.
This might work in a metro area but out in rural America you've got one shot and one shot only to cover and clean and you have to be out the door the moment that last box is off the belt..... And there's not waiting around and there's no coming back.

bacha29

If the Express volume is truly as low as they portray, then there is no reason that any freight should be late. On time freight means a Leave Building time of no later than 0800.
At the terminal I was at the airport is a small regional county owned airport 12 miles away with constant weather issues and if that one is closed for weather the next one is 65 miles away Terminal departure will be far closer to 10 AM not 8AM and they'll be lucky to get out by that time. Things around here are a WHOLE LOT different than the Dallas/Houston area familiar to you.

lilwizbiz

Turn on the Overtime machine.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You mean like Response and DeathStar?
"I will not address how drastically increasing labor costs will increase margins. Allow me to change the subject."

We've been through this before. They'd have to buy thousands of additional trucks and hire more mechanics to maintain them. On top of that they'd have to hire more admin personnel (benefits, payroll, HR, and so on), more managers, etc.

newgirl

There's a good article on freightwaves about the restructuring of the air network and the anticipated savings from what fedex is doing, i.e, parking md11s, moving aircraft maintenance to indy, etc

There are some analysts that are questioning how we can do all this on the ground instead of in the air. We shall see

Last edited:

Firestar

Margins yeah. In terms of the dollar amount Express has always been ahead. But yea brother they’re giving up the company to contractors. Can’t wait to hear the excuses when it don’t end up happening.
You're so wrong it's almost comical LMAO. It's hilarious because the revenue and income are public info released every quarter.

For some perspective, since you are apparently incapable of looking up earnings reports yourself.

Q3 2023 - Express revenue: $10.3 billion, income: $119 million.
Ground revenue - $8.7 billion, income $844 million.

Q2 2023 - Express revenue $11.3 billion, income $520 million.
Ground revenue $8.8 billion, income $641 million.

In the last 3 years Ground has earned $2.4 billion more in INCOME (AKA PROFIT) than Express in the same time period.

Express just bleeds money. As we all say, Ground earns it and Express spends it. I'm sorry you've been so brainwashed by delusions of grandeur over in Expressville!

MAKAVELI

You're so wrong it's almost comical LMAO. It's hilarious because the revenue and income are public info released every quarter.

For some perspective, since you are apparently incapable of looking up earnings reports yourself.

In the last 3 years Ground has earned $2.4 billion more in INCOME (AKA PROFIT) than Express in the same time period.

Express just bleeds money. As we all say, Ground earns it and Express spends it. I'm sorry you've been so brainwashed by delusions of grandeur over in Expressville!
Why do you think Express bleeds $ ?

AB831

"I will not address how drastically increasing labor costs will increase margins. Allow me to change the subject."

We've been through this before. They'd have to buy thousands of additional trucks and hire more mechanics to maintain them. On top of that they'd have to hire more admin personnel (benefits, payroll, HR, and so on), more managers, etc.
Well, most of the admin personnel isn’t fit to run a McDonald’s, so that part should be pretty easy.

zeev

Express just bleeds money. As we all say, Ground earns it and Express spends it. I'm sorry you've been so brainwashed by delusions of grandeur over in Expressv
It’s actually worse than it appears FedEx Express freight is shown for revenue but not income it accounts for about 33% of revenue but probably 66% of income. Heavyweight drivers loaded with deliveries costing thousands of dollars apiece are extremely profitable.