One big happy family 🙃

Serf

Imagine a scenario where you need to tell (for example); Express employees although you are a FT day courier or Swing, all drivers with less than X amount of seniority will have to work 1400-2100. And other drivers will have to work 0540-1240. Others will have to go PT. Minimums will no longer be paid. OT after 8 in a day is gone, now you must go over 40 hrs in a week to make OT. Etc

AB831

Imagine a scenario where you need to tell (for example); Express employees although you are a FT day courier or Swing, all drivers with less than X amount of seniority will have to work 1400-2100. And other drivers will have to work 0540-1240. Others will have to go PT. Minimums will no longer be paid. OT after 8 in a day is gone, now you must go over 40 hrs in a week to make OT. Etc
That sounds mighty generous. I’d just cut those shift times in half and then you might be onto what’s cooking

It will be fine

You’re wrong, I have companies that won’t use GROUND. That’s no bundling with express overnight , complainants everyday. A day late is different than 3-4 days late. I hear it literally everyday. You must not be a courier
There are also customers out there that don’t use FedEx at all because of the split system. They don’t want 2-3 drivers coming in everyday. They want 1 driver, 1 phone number to call, etc. The customers that don’t like Ground but use Express probably have some issues with UPS too or they’d be using them. They don’t have many options to choose from, I doubt many will leave.

bacha29

There are also customers out there that don’t use FedEx at all because of the split system. They don’t want 2-3 drivers coming in everyday. They want 1 driver, 1 phone number to call, etc. The customers that don’t like Ground but use Express probably have some issues with UPS too or they’d be using them. They don’t have many options to choose from, I doubt many will leave.
And it all hinges on the dumb assumption that there will always be somebody walking through that door physically capable and psychologically willing to go out there every day in every possible weather condition and match the production of the average UPS driver for half the wages and zero benefits.

Now that you're going to be stuck hauling air box there's no "get out of jail free" card to use if you're suddenly shorthanded.
Unlike Ground where there was a little bit of tolerance on the part of management with air box if you don't have enough human and mechanical resources on line every single day that can and do get the job done to the satisfaction of a completely intolerant management both your contract and your prima donna attitude will be lifted off your shoulders in an instant.

It will be fine

And it all hinges on the dumb assumption that there will always be somebody walking through that door physically capable and psychologically willing to go out there every day in every possible weather condition and match the production of the average UPS driver for half the wages and zero benefits.

Now that you're going to be stuck hauling air box there's no "get out of jail free" card to use if you're suddenly shorthanded.
Unlike Ground where there was a little bit of tolerance on the part of management with air box if you don't have enough human and mechanical resources on line every single day that can and do get the job done to the satisfaction of a completely intolerant management both your contract and your prima donna attitude will be lifted off your shoulders in an instant.
I’m sure this time after more than 10 years of you crying the same story, your wish will come true. You’ve literally been saying this exact same nonsense for over a decade and somehow the boxes keep getting delivered. I still get job applicants everyday. How many decades do you need to be wrong to move on to another talking point?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't like Ground or many things about them, but stop with the OMG THEY SCREW UP EVERYTHING. They provide the level of service that they provide and customers are willing to accept it for the lower price. Your issue is with the customers who keep paying for that level of service, not with the people who are giving people what they are willing to tolerate.
So if a Ground “employee” gets fired for let’s say releasing an alcohol shipments without a real signatures, should he tell his boss that it wasn’t his fault and the customer is to blame because they selected our crappy service and they should expect that sort of thing? Gee maybe the station manager should call that customer and give them a good ass chewing.

Get real.

bacha29

I’m sure this time after more than 10 years of you crying the same story, your wish will come true. You’ve literally been saying this exact same nonsense for over a decade and somehow the boxes keep getting delivered. I still get job applicants everyday. How many decades do you need to be wrong to move on to another talking point?
And you're the same 21st century sharecropper you've always been for the past 10 years. You operate in a population dense but economically depressed Boston Metro area. Naturally the cheap labor pool is better than you would find in many other parts of the country. At the same time you continue to think that the same set of demographics that exist in your area along with the very small and condensed area you cover are both something that exists in every part of the country....Sorry pal...it doesn't

And it would appear that you continue to overvalue by a wide margin your importance and indispensability to that company.....So did Spencer Patton.

So in the meantime you are welcome to continue to try to make the rest of us believe that you have total operational freedom and autonomy despite our knowing that you are totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company....TOTALLY SUBJUGATED.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You’re wrong, I have companies that won’t use GROUND. That’s no bundling with express overnight , complainants everyday. A day late is different than 3-4 days late. I hear it literally everyday. You must not be a courier
How many millions of packages does Ground pick up and deliver each day?

59 Dano

Density is only one factor, how many cycles do contractors run? How are contractors drivers paid? Hourly, flat rate? On-calls, RTB to make flights? Late planes? Will Fedex pay more to contractors for more miles on area footprint? Do you really think your going to get UPS work force at 20 bucks an hr or 160 flat a day? I dont have the answers nor do you and have i ton more questions how the will try to make this work. Your constant know it all BS is childish. you dont know what they are going to do to make this transition work. Marketing to investors and perfect world scenarios is not reality.
Buddy, you're bickering about what amounts to minor details while ignoring the larger points. It won't be perfect but it doesn't have to be and no one expects it to be. They aren't going to pay 3 FT employees to drive 3 trucks plus 2 contractors to do the work that can be done by 3 contractors and one PT employee.

The math doesn't care what you or I think, but you can keep denying it if gets you through the night.

59 Dano

Meanwhile UPS is making double digit profits with an all employee workforce and volume lower than pandemic levels. You really need to find a a day job son....
I guess you missed the part where they've been cutting jobs for the last couple of months, thus juicing their profits.

Guess who else is cutting hourly jobs to increase profits? It's working well for UPS. Why do you oppose it for FedEx?

59 Dano

So if a Ground “employee” gets fired for let’s say releasing an alcohol shipments without a real signatures, should he tell his boss that it wasn’t his fault and the customer is to blame because they selected our crappy service and they should expect that sort of thing? Gee maybe the station manager should call that customer and give them a good ass chewing.

Get real.
If you can't do any better than that, why do you even bother?

MAKAVELI

I guess you missed the part where they've been cutting jobs for the last couple of months, thus juicing their profits.

Guess who else is cutting hourly jobs to increase profits? It's working well for UPS. Why do you oppose it for FedEx?
I guess you missed the point that UPS makes more profit than FedEx with a well paid all employee workforce.

59 Dano

I guess you missed the point that UPS makes more profit than FedEx with a well paid all employee workforce.
It should, with or without an all employee workforce. It's a larger company with more volume and much greater density and lots of layoffs.

But I admire that you think that FedEx would increase its profit margins by increasing its expenses. Maybe one day you can tell us how that would happen. Maybe. One day.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Buddy, you're bickering about what amounts to minor details while ignoring the larger points. It won't be perfect but it doesn't have to be and no one expects it to be. They aren't going to pay 3 FT employees to drive 3 trucks plus 2 contractors to do the work that can be done by 3 contractors and one PT employee.

The math doesn't care what you or I think, but you can keep denying it if gets you through the night.
Been arguing for this for 15+ years. Only difference is I miscalculated how readily FedEx would exchange control of couriers for cheaper, crappy service.

Who’s the sellout here???

Serf

That sounds mighty generous. I’d just cut those shift times in half and then you might be onto what’s cooking
You’re prob right. Come in for FO & or P1. 4 hrs or less. Or PM ops; according to the dossier
.express still picks up drop boxes.

MAKAVELI

It should, with or without an all employee workforce. It's a larger company with more volume and much greater density and lots of layoffs.

But I admire that you think that FedEx would increase its profit margins by increasing its expenses. Maybe one day you can tell us how that would happen. Maybe. One day.
You mean like Response and DeathStar?

MassWineGuy

For probably the next 10 to 12 months everyone and their mule will be speculating about what will happen. Kind of like a presidential election that’s still two years away. One of my pet hopes is that (at least some) ops and senior managers come under the knife as well as us plebes.

bacha29

If contractors were smart and united they would get one message loud and clear across to management At 8:15 AM they're pull out of that terminal with or without the air box.

Many routes across America are high mileage and long workdays. There simply will not be any time available to stand around waiting for the air box to finally arrive.

For many it will still mean two trucks in the same area. Ground comes through first and later in the day another guy comes bringing the air box. And for many there isn't enough air box to have dedicated trucks running it. And if that is the way contractors end up doing it they going to lose their feces discharge portals. ( Can't use the A word on here).