One big happy family 🙃

TUT

How does a "unified" driver workforce create revenue??
Glad you asked.

UPS has preformed better coming out of covid, it is much easier keeping a fair paid employee than a contractor where Ground is near the bottom of the contractor barrel. Let me explain the later, when you are a contract driver you are part of the gig economy. You compete with ubers, food delivery, product physicality. Ground is one of the hardest physcial delivery contract jobs out there. Would a new kid rather drive some one from x to x, with a solid chance of tips? Would a new kid rather pickup up easy to handle food and deliver it with a solid chance at a tip? Would a new kid rather work at Amazon and deliver their lighter/smaller packages on average? The answer to all of those are yes. It isn't that Fedex is bad, but Fedex is harder because they take in harder to handle pacakges with no tips. Fedex also needs a nurture plan that allows kids to acclimate to physical work, meaning bonus pay milestones.

Once you look at it this way it explains why turnover is high, it's common sense really. So to get people, keep people, get good at what you do, you need to make them fair paid employees.

The "get good" part is the part the customers see, improved performance, less headaches will spread word of mouth and simply selling these improvements is how you generate more revenue. There are many shippers that don't want to :censored2: around with Ground and Express pickups. They don't want to know to understand dozens of differences between Ground and Express, it gets complicated, people don't want complicated. These are customer satisfaction things, these are real and in time proving you are better will drive more revenue.

I did want to circle back on an earlier ask of yours "why would Fedex incur more cost, when they are trying to save?", it's a fair question. First they will still save overall, but in addition to the above, look at UPS, they do better than Fedex on profit per package, they profit more money overall. Well how can this be when they have Union Workers getting great pay and benefits? First they are One UPS already, but in addition to, it is because they are seasoned and more reliable because of the job pay and benefits, they want to stay, it is a career job vs where's my next job, this can't be understated. With being seasoned that explains the better delivery metrics. Fedex is sloppy in comparison because of turnover and loss of needed control at the contractor driver level. What I'm saying is sometimes you do pay more to make more and I think that is where Fedex is at. They are competing with too many businesses with the contractor model, they need to bring them in as employees, on top of the unification of services (very good), that driver reliability will pay big dividends and bring in more customers. Now if people at Fedex think everything is ok in the areas I'm discussing, they are purposely putting their fingers in their ears not wanting to believe it.

SFFX

Glad you asked.

UPS has preformed better coming out of covid, it is much easier keeping a fair paid employee than a contractor where Ground is near the bottom of the contractor barrel. Let me explain the later, when you are a contract driver you are part of the gig economy. You compete with ubers, food delivery, product physicality. Ground is one of the hardest physcial delivery contract jobs out there. Would a new kid rather drive some one from x to x, with a solid chance of tips? Would a new kid rather pickup up easy to handle food and deliver it with a solid chance at a tip? Would a new kid rather work at Amazon and deliver their lighter/smaller packages on average? The answer to all of those are yes. It isn't that Fedex is bad, but Fedex is harder because they take in harder to handle pacakges with no tips. Fedex also needs a nurture plan that allows kids to acclimate to physical work, meaning bonus pay milestones.

Once you look at it this way it explains why turnover is high, it's common sense really. So to get people, keep people, get good at what you do, you need to make them fair paid employees.

The "get good" part is the part the customers see, improved performance, less headaches will spread word of mouth and simply selling these improvements is how you generate more revenue. There are many shippers that don't want to :censored2: around with Ground and Express pickups. They don't want to know to understand dozens of differences between Ground and Express, it gets complicated, people don't want complicated. These are customer satisfaction things, these are real and in time proving you are better will drive more revenue.

I did want to circle back on an earlier ask of yours "why would Fedex incur more cost, when they are trying to save?", it's a fair question. First they will still save overall, but in addition to the above, look at UPS, they do better than Fedex on profit per package, they profit more money overall. Well how can this be when they have Union Workers getting great pay and benefits? First they are One UPS already, but in addition to, it is because they are seasoned and more reliable because of the job pay and benefits, they want to stay, it is a career job vs where's my next job, this can't be understated. With being seasoned that explains the better delivery metrics. Fedex is sloppy in comparison because of turnover and loss of needed control at the contractor driver level. What I'm saying is sometimes you do pay more to make more and I think that is where Fedex is at. They are competing with too many businesses with the contractor model, they need to bring them in as employees, on top of the unification of services (very good), that driver reliability will pay big dividends and bring in more customers. Now if people at Fedex think everything is ok in the areas I'm discussing, they are purposely putting their fingers in their ears not wanting to believe it.

Amazon is running at 250% turnover per year. Hence them wanting to dropping drug testing for weed for non DOT Drivers. They are burning through the labor. Also laziness is not the reason for labor shortages, the 10k baby boomers retiring per day is. It roughly 300k per month leaving the labor force. Labor markets range greatly across this country.

yadig

Glad you asked.

Dano just had a stroke!

bacha29

Glad you asked.

Dano just had a stroke!
It just molested his mind..

bacha29

Glad you asked.

EXACTLY!. The entire "all or nothing" so called "restructuring " has at it's entire basis getting more production out of a significantly lower paid worker. If they think that a contractor has some magical ability to find highly productive, professionally behaving worker who you can count on on a day in and day out basis.....that person hasn't even been born yet. All that cheap pay does to a worker is to remind of the need to get to a better place....now! And if that new employer isn't going to wait around for that sorely needed employee to work out a polite two week notice when there was no written terms of employment requiring it......"hasta la vista baby!

It will be fine

Amazon is running at 250% turnover per year. Hence them wanting to dropping drug testing for weed for non DOT Drivers. They are burning through the labor. Also laziness is not the reason for labor shortages, the 10k baby boomers retiring per day is. It roughly 300k per month leaving the labor force. Labor markets range greatly across this country.
They did drop the drug testing. I have applicants every week that decide to stay at Amazon so they can keep smoking weed. It’s why I tell my kids to run away if they see Amazon coming down the street.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Its not linear, or that simple at all. There is a reason that UPS is stable and make controlled profits, its controlled stable labor. The idea or cheap reliable labor is over in America, baby boomers (aka largest portion of America workforce) are leaving and retiring. Its real simple, look at the massive loses Amazon has taken in its own delivery, they run it at a loss knowingly to control the market. Fedex just took the bait, margins will be made stable at the expense to the contractors. Here comes the squeeze

But FedEx is already making good money with a contractor workforce. Density works in favor of the contractors, not against them.

59 Dano

Guess what happens to the customer experience? We don’t make a product dano, we are the product. I bet cardinal health will care when there packages are late on a consistent basis.
Some of you guys act as if Ground is this horrible Laser Ship type of outfit that is just grossly and horribly incapable of anything.

I don't like Ground or many things about them, but stop with the OMG THEY SCREW UP EVERYTHING. They provide the level of service that they provide and customers are willing to accept it for the lower price. Your issue is with the customers who keep paying for that level of service, not with the people who are giving people what they are willing to tolerate.

59 Dano

Glad you asked.

TL;DR
It doesn't.

Gone fishin

Some of you guys act as if Ground is this horrible Laser Ship type of outfit that is just grossly and horribly incapable of anything.

I don't like Ground or many things about them, but stop with the OMG THEY SCREW UP EVERYTHING. They provide the level of service that they provide and customers are willing to accept it for the lower price. Your issue is with the customers who keep paying for that level of service, not with the people who are giving people what they are willing to tolerate.
You’re wrong, I have companies that won’t use GROUND. That’s no bundling with express overnight , complainants everyday. A day late is different than 3-4 days late. I hear it literally everyday. You must not be a courier

SFFX

But FedEx is already making good money with a contractor workforce. Density works in favor of the contractors, not against them.
Density is only one factor, how many cycles do contractors run? How are contractors drivers paid? Hourly, flat rate? On-calls, RTB to make flights? Late planes? Will Fedex pay more to contractors for more miles on area footprint? Do you really think your going to get UPS work force at 20 bucks an hr or 160 flat a day? I dont have the answers nor do you and have i ton more questions how the will try to make this work. Your constant know it all BS is childish. you dont know what they are going to do to make this transition work. Marketing to investors and perfect world scenarios is not reality.

My 8700 shares want them to kill it, i dont want them to friend the whole thing up with blind greed.
Dont cut off you nose despite your face fedex.

Gone fishin

Density is only one factor, how many cycles do contractors run? How are contractors drivers paid? Hourly, flat rate? On-calls, RTB to make flights? Late planes? Will Fedex pay more to contractors for more miles on area footprint? Do you really think your going to get UPS work force at 20 bucks an hr or 160 flat a day? I dont have the answers nor do you and have i ton more questions how the will try to make this work. Your constant know it all BS is childish. you dont know what they are going to do to make this transition work. Marketing to investors and perfect world scenarios is not reality.

My 8700 shares want them to kill it, i dont want them to friend the whole thing up with blind greed.
Dont cut off you nose despite your face fedex.
People act like Fedx drivers make 100 thousand a year. Some do but it’s a lot of overtime. Cover all routes and overtime goes away. I like 8 hours

AB831

And they actually believe that the two of them are going to get along together. Clear evidence of just how far detached executives and senior management are from everyday operations.

Suppose you're a contractor. What do you think the reaction is going to be from your help when they discover just a few feet away are a group of guys making more per hour with benefits and have a shorter duration less labor intensive day ? They're going to have to put up a partition just to keep them apart from one another.

Or the building isn't big enough to park both Express and Ground trucks inside. So who's drivers are going to be left standing out in the rain loading their trucks themselves because handlers have been sent home? Here's a clue...It won't be Express. And who's trucks will be parked outside overnight and weekend in zero temps and won't start in the morning...It won't be Express.

Or you're a contractor and you caved into management's demands and you bought the biggest straight truck on the market to haul bulk only to discover that Express is taking it off of you despite the fact that you still owe on it for 3 more years.

What you're going to end up with in terminals under this arrangement is your own little caste system. Management has always had zero acknowledgement or respect for the fact that they had to ask you to invest your own money into this cluster fornication.

So goes oil as expected hits $100 so goes free ecommerce shipping.

The company knows it and knows that they are in one hell of vulnerable position. And the high profile, highly publicized so called "restructuring" is a con designed to try to keep the stock price from tanking while they desperately seek a genuine solution.
Sounds like it’s time for a Front Line video to remind everyone that they’re working for the greatest company on earth