One Company...

Salesguy

Sales Member
Summer is almost here!:sweatdrop

So before you guys go on vacation, why not hand in
one or two leads? You are the best in the business and our eyes on the road!

Why not start today?!:thumbup:

diesel96

Dude ,were all off the clock here.We hear the sales pitch at work all day.This used to be the message I get in my DIAD.

ImpactedTSG

Dude ,were all off the clock here.We hear the sales pitch at work all day.This used to be the message I get in my DIAD.
Seriously. The more they beat sales leads into our heads, the less we wanted to turn them in.

While we are on sales leads, why are they not followed up on by an AE or sales rep? I submitted a lead a couple years ago for a friend of mine's business, and he said the person that called barely spoke english and did not know too much about his shipping options.

Deeohem

agree with Impacted on this one. quit hammering Sales Leads at us. We get it. We're losing volume. New volume isn't matching what we are losing due to churn.

But what happens when we turn in leads? Next scheduled visit 3 months from now. Since we do a lot less on the external side, I have to go out of my way to find leads that I think have half a chance of being valid. And I'm not going to do that if nothing happens after that.

Cole

It would be most helpful if you folks in sales would get out of the climate controlled office, and go out and "sale" drum up business, instead of wait on us to do your jobs and ours.

You know where those "Fed Ex" trucks are going as well as we do, so maybe you could... go to the same place, as you would have wayyyyyy more time to talk to them about the specifics, then you could get credit you earned rather than one's we laid in your laps, but we ultimatley turned in as you went and got it.

Not all are like that, but alot are.

ImpactedTSG

Here's an idea. Why don't you do your job and we'll do ours.:mad:
EXACTLY!!!!!! I remember being a smart ass and asking if we could drive around and get sales leads on the clock and get paid for the mileage. LOL We were told no, so basically we were expected to do it on our own time. Guess how many leads I turned in while I was still with UPS???

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Here's a better idea!! Maybe you BD guys could slither your way out of the ivory tower and take about 25 stops off me tommorrow!!:thumbup1: Or better yet, we could just start having the same pcm we have every morning, right here at home!!!:thumbdown

wornoutupser

Dude,
I just walked in the door from work and it is 10:00. I started at 9:00 this morning. Get more runs in and maybe I will consider adding more work to my day!

Get off the padded seat and find out what a real day in the job is like!

area43

It never ceases to amaze me on how much dead flesh and fat we have in this company. So many salary people on the dull making a 100 plus g's a year. If we could just cut out some of these computer key punchers(Tie being one of them) we could increase our bottom line considerably. Toooooo many chiefs.

A

Anonymous Fredly

Your almost as inspirational as the whiteboard guy....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Hey I got an idea, why dont you give us a place to go to see if they have been followed up on, and the tools to make sure we get the right amount for the ones that do get sold, UPS and Freight. Why isnt it available, except for someone who will check with someone, who will get back to us and never do? Why dont you tell your associates to check with us, to see if the delivery time/pick up times will work, and if they wont, why dont you work with the center team so they will? Why do you promise them one thing and then drop the ball? Why do they expect us to know how to help them with problems when we are neither trained or have the time allowed to assist. Why are we suppose to get the leads, and sell the business, when at a whim, schedules get changed and we expect them to adhere, and change their business to meet our ever changing needs?
I think I ask a few valid ?s, other than that, Im tired, getting home at 9pm is way over-rated, and then tell us we need to get more work. Like that will make them add a run, HAH! You need a new job, Go out on a truck stuffed to the ceiling, one day to look for new business, You will see lots of it, see how much time that driver has to allow you to pitch to a company. And stay with him from beginning to end. And then you will see why your lead program is going to soon if not already Dead in the water.
I got almost 1500 this yr, but the return was bogus for what I know went out, so I too am done turning them in.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Why should we the drivers put our reputation on the line in order to get their business when we cant guarantee our route will be in tomorrow and that their delivery and pick up times will stay the same. Can you guarantee me that my sales lead will stay with ups package or will it end up with the freight department. Also try careing about our current customers first before over running the planet for all the business.

We would probably run smoother if our bd guys didnt stop us as we were going to our trucks every morning, sit around the office at night and walk us to our cars as you talk to us!

upsgrunt

Hey I got an idea, why dont you give us a place to go to see if they have been followed up on, and the tools to make sure we get the right amount for the ones that do get sold, UPS and Freight. Why isnt it available, except for someone who will check with someone, who will get back to us and never do? Why dont you tell your associates to check with us, to see if the delivery time/pick up times will work, and if they wont, why dont you work with the center team so they will? Why do you promise them one thing and then drop the ball? Why do they expect us to know how to help them with problems when we are neither trained or have the time allowed to assist. Why are we suppose to get the leads, and sell the business, when at a whim, schedules get changed and we expect them to adhere, and change their business to meet our ever changing needs?
I think I ask a few valid ?s, other than that, Im tired, getting home at 9pm is way over-rated, and then tell us we need to get more work. Like that will make them add a run, HAH! You need a new job, Go out on a truck stuffed to the ceiling, one day to look for new business, You will see lots of it, see how much time that driver has to allow you to pitch to a company. And stay with him from beginning to end. And then you will see why your lead program is going to soon if not already Dead in the water.
I got almost 1500 this yr, but the return was bogus for what I know went out, so I too am done turning them in.

I couldn't agree more! In fact, why not implement a requirement for ALL BD people, and all upper level management to ride a day with a driver 2 or 3 times a year. This should be a FULL day and not those "I'll catch up with you later and then hop off an hour later". I think Mikey himself needs to be the first one. Too many, if not all, have lost touch with what really goes on in the streets, and don't appreciate what we do. I also think that IE guys need to run the route with the driver telling them where to go. Wouldn't that be great- telling them "no, no, no, ; faster, faster, faster ; you know a quicker way to do this would be x." Of course, this will never happen because us scum of the earth drivers can't possibly comprehend what it takes to do the job right and certainly don't have the education to question anything that IE has implemented as law. This whole "one company" thing is a one way street-the people at the bottom are supposed to do whatever they are told by the people at the top. How about a new perspective and listen to the people at the bottom? They just might know more than you think and despite what you think, we are not all out to "screw the company". One more thing, this sales lead push is way out of hand. We keep hearing if we get more leads, we can create more jobs- the old if game. Well if my aunt had a penis she would be my uncle.

Channahon

Why should we the drivers put our reputation on the line in order to get their business when we cant guarantee our route will be in tomorrow and that their delivery and pick up times will stay the same. Can you guarantee me that my sales lead will stay with ups package or will it end up with the freight department. Also try careing about our current customers first before over running the planet for all the business.

We would probably run smoother if our bd guys didnt stop us as we were going to our trucks every morning, sit around the office at night and walk us to our cars as you talk to us!

As stated " One Company" does it really make that much of a difference, if all Teamsters benefit from new business?

Maybe our service providers should spend a day with B/D to see this side of the business from their perspective.

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
Maybe our service providers should spend a day with B/D to see this side of the business from their perspective.[/QUOTE]

I tell you one thing, I know I could do a lot better job at sales than a BD person. And I know there is no way a BD person could ever come close to even thinking about trying to do the job I do as a package driver.

Yes that is a put down. Either UPS needs to get more sales reps. to service our customers, or make the current ones have alot more accountability for the current area they are responsible for.

I don't have the time or the patience to type all the things our "Sales Reps" can do to make there saleries justified.

upsdude

I remember when the Sales Reps were drivers prior to going into management. I remember those guys and gals being in the center every morning, and accessible. I also remember having respect for them because their hands had been dirty. The respect was mutual, they had also been in my shoes.

Today? Now we get these clowns that have zero clue about the UPS culture. They (when you see them) walk in the building with a cell phone stuck in their ear, and they ain’t talking business, not UPS business anyway.

After THREE lead cards, for a law office that gives FredEX 30 letters a week, I’m still waiting for one of the “Sales Reps” to pay them a visit. The potential customer is waiting as well. Or I should say they were waiting, the decision maker told me this week to forget it.

BTW, I have spent a day (3 days total) with a Sales Rep, our district used to do that. Of course, that day was spent with a real life career UPS sales person.

Channahon

Maybe our service providers should spend a day with B/D to see this side of the business from their perspective.

I tell you one thing, I know I could do a lot better job at sales than a BD person. And I know there is no way a BD person could ever come close to even thinking about trying to do the job I do as a package driver.

Yes that is a put down. Either UPS needs to get more sales reps. to service our customers, or make the current ones have alot more accountability for the current area they are responsible for.

I don't have the time or the patience to type all the things our "Sales Reps" can do to make there saleries justified.[/quote]

My comment in no way suggested a comparison between jobs. I know the job of a package car driver and business developement person as well. My point was only to see the business from another perspective. All jobs at UPS have value, from growing the business to servicing the business.