Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1666955859629.png

Commercial Inside Release

Problem with any hovercraft, which have been around for decades in various forms, is they raise an insane cråp cloud wherever they hover. The entire city would be shrouded in a massive dust cloud.

That's why they often show them over water, which of course soaks everything, including the riders when they get out.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Problem with any hovercraft, which have been around for decades in various forms, is they raise an insane cråp cloud wherever they hover. The entire city would be shrouded in a massive dust cloud.

That's why they often show them over water, which of course soaks everything, including the riders when they get out.
Dirigibles are the answer.

wilberforce15

Almost nobody buys an electric vehicle and uses 110 to charge it. A plug in hybrid sure, but not a fully electric one.
It actually happens all the time. And it would be sufficient for most people.

The average driver in America is home more than 10 or 12 hours a day, and drives less than one full charge worth per week. Speed of charge is not an issue for most people.

wilberforce15

A 10-hour overnight charge would provide 30 to 50 miles of charge for the next day. That is more than the average person drives.

Most owners would have a net daily charge surplus even with just overnight charging on a standard home outlet.

DriverNerd

A 10-hour overnight charge would provide 30 to 50 miles of charge for the next day. That is more than the average person drives.

Most owners would have a net daily charge surplus even with just overnight charging on a standard home outlet.
Tesla says Home Charging - Frequently Asked Questions a standard outlet would provide 2-4 miles per hour of charge. 40 miles might be ok for the average person, but I doubt 20 would be. Sure you can make that up on the weekends, but any longer drives (I don't mean cross country) would take days of charging to make it convenient before you left.

wilberforce15

Tesla says Home Charging - Frequently Asked Questions a standard outlet would provide 2-4 miles per hour of charge. 40 miles might be ok for the average person, but I doubt 20 would be. Sure you can make that up on the weekends, but any longer drives (I don't mean cross country) would take days of charging to make it convenient before you left.
Yep, that's true. And the half dozen people in my neighborhood who use standard home outlets for their electric vehicles occasionally top off at a public charger when they're driving a long way. It does not make them need a better infrastructure at home.

If the question is whether most people would need more than a standard home outlet to charge at home, the answer is clearly no.