Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

vantexan

Two more centuries of oil? We'll be lucky if we can get two more decades given increased demand. Yes, control of rare earth minerals including those in South America and China which has 70% of them will become a highly competitive and adversarial point of global contention.
Public transportation is without question the future mode of transportation for the bulk of the population. Yes, the rich will likely be the ones with the private cars.....but, what if the evolution of public transportation allows for it to not having to share the roads with those privileged few. They can then pay to for the upkeep of the millions of miles of American highways all by themselves.
Easily two centuries at present usage. Look it up. And we aren't talking about rare earth metals which are a classification by themselves. Instead of trying to win arguments just look up the facts. You cite what oil executives say. Look up what mining execs say. If you want to put everyone on electric bikes backed by public transportation it's doable. I'm not joking. If you're truly serious about climate change and dealing with it with the resources we have then that's a pathway. Would cut way down on auto accidents too.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I finally realized that it was time to say goodbye to my 2002 Highlander Limited, 176,400 miles. ( V-6 )
I had this for 18 years, bought it used in 2004 with 40,644.
I really enjoyed the AWD.
I looked at every model that I thought would work for me and was undecided.
I finally chose a certified used Toyota 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport. ( V-6 ) ( 12,627 )
I'll gain 3.3 mpg over the Highlander and that suits me fine.
Considering I'll only use it locally and maybe go over 40 miles once every two weeks.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
DeWalt's new electric rider..
1668468642063.png

vantexan

The new 2023 Prius Prime gets 220 HP, 50% more range on electric only, 19" wheels, and very sporty looks. 0-60 in 7.2 seconds. With Toyota reliability.

vantexan

This is a lot like buying an electric vehicle from one of the so-called major manufacturers. They are late to the game and very bad at it.
The new Prius suggests they're getting better. As you've pointed out most people only drive so far daily. The Prius Prime will let them do that on just electric and have a backup gas engine for longer trips. But most of the time they'll be only on electric. At a much lower price than a Tesla.

wilberforce15

The new Prius suggests they're getting better. As you've pointed out most people only drive so far daily. The Prius Prime will let them do that on just electric and have a backup gas engine for longer trips. But most of the time they'll be only on electric. At a much lower price than a Tesla.
Yes, it is very easy to purchase a variety of cars that are cheaper than Tesla.

fishtm2001

I believe that one gets 38mpg city, AND 38mpg highway.
Yes. she had the 2019 version which was smaller, less powerful and had terrible mpg ( like 22 city) for a smaller suv. She rarely gets on the hwy so it was city mileage I was concerned about. Plus our two grandsons aren't getting any smaller so the big rear seat and cargo area was a factor.

wilberforce15

With Toyota reliability. If Tesla can build EV's cheaper they maybe should consider doing so.
They can, but it is less profitable to do so. Why would they take the less profitable route? They will when that is the next route left.

Don't try to tell the most profitable automaker in history how to do things. It is not the best choice for you. It is not the best choice for a lot of people. But they are the taking the route that makes the most money.

As a so-called conservative, I figured you might understand that.

wilberforce15

Only a fake Texan would tell the people selling cars for 50,000 to $100,000 that they'd be better off selling crappier versions for $30,000.

They can quite easily meet the Prius price point, and make a better vehicle at that price point. It is a trivial problem. Quite easy. But it makes them less money than dedicating all their resources as they currently are.