ORION Excellence

Poop Head

Judge me.
If that is their solution to premium service someone needs a reality check. Look where stop 14 is in comparison to 22. Look at 27 and 38. Why in the hell would it makes sense to drive 30 mins back and forth multiple times?

Its called saving miles bro. Ever heard of it? Computers know what is good

Dragon

Package Center Manager
How can this company possibly continue to be profitable when they can’t even get the most basic part of our job functional?
Dispatch is everything. Load quality is important, but ultimately it’s the combination of dispatch and driver ability that dictates how efficiently the day goes by. I know our dispatch guys really well and they are former drivers who in no way want to screw us over. I’ve watched them hold approved meetings 15 minutes before start time for weeks trying to correct each individual Orion discrepancy. Ive observed them experimenting with the technology constantly trying to tweak the route until it’s functional and then ask for daily feedback. I have read many times on BC that
“ORION IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE GUY WHO PUTS THE ROUTES TOGETHER” but it’s hard to blame our dispatch guys, who are competently intelligent dudes and in general very open to us and helpful.
Ultimately, we are all just doing what we can to get through the day without ruffling anybody’s feathers; we all just want to be left alone. Including preload FT sups and dispatch.
I was the last guy in my center to pass packet running RDO. Watched many guys fail miserably on my training route since; which my training route is easily the easiest in the building, it’s not even close. It’s the one they give to the guys THEY WANT TO PASS. It’s so simple. But Orion ruined training drivers also, failing to let the poor saps know that “hey by the way, the DIAD is basically a puzzle.” So most of these new guys just go to the next stop in the board because that's what they are told to do. All the while turning left into busy highway traffic with literally zero chance of being efficient, since they have no idea what they are doing wrong.

You PDS can fix this before the plan goes live..don't believe otherwise.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I’ll give you an example of what I’m talking about based on personal experience;
2 routes, one bid route one junker, that rub against each other. There is a NON EXISTENT road that Orion thinks we can use to connect 2 delivery areas. And Orion puts several stops on the junk route that we can’t access from said road; so really it belongs on the bid route, but Orion constantly puts in on the junker. You either have to catch it before you leave the building and give it to the bid route or you have to do a 15 minute joyride all the way around the route to get to delivery area for 1-3 stops.....
Next morning after the first time I encountered the issue and almost got stuck.....I walked into the preload office, sat down with the dispatch guy and literally watched him change it with a couple clicks on his computer. Watched him do it; changed the number breaks on the route and correct the problem. Literally watched him do it.
The next day I ran the bid route because dude took the day off and we had a new lady on the junker.....called me freaking out because she was almost stuck in the non existent road that Orion led her down; I called the center drove over and backed her out. Told the dispatch guy the next day and we both chuckled at the incompetence and I watched him fix it AGAIN.
Guess what happened the next day???? ORION forgot about the fix once again and this time it was a different newer guy calling me wondering how to get to 2800 Jackson. I had him meet me when I dropped air and took the stops.
ORION causes more problems than it solves.

Whither

Scofflaw
But Orion ruined training drivers also, failing to let the poor saps know that “hey by the way, the DIAD is basically a puzzle.”

Best summary of Orion I've ever heard. No way I'd ever have scratched my training route, let alone avoided service failures, if I'd ran trace.

At the same time: in another thread @dysphunktion admitted, 'optimizing' Orion probably guarantees another 20 stops a day. And really, since there's no greater optimist than the planned day, I'd guess 30 or 40 more on many routes. Smooth days are great, but man, that's a lot of extra physical wear and tear over the years.

Johney

You keep saying this and I'm sure in a small center they can, but I personally know a PDS in our building (there are two) and with over 125 drivers (outside peak) a piece he/they don't have the time to even remotely fix the mess the Orion team left them in. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid bubba.

You keep saying this and I'm sure in a small center they can, but I personally know a PDS in our building (there are two) and with over 125 drivers (outside peak) a piece he/they don't have the time to even remotely fix the mess the Orion team left them in. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid bubba.
Exactly. We put out 70-110 routes a day depending on season and we have one dispatch guy per day with a helper who has other preload responsibilities. No way they can comb through every single route daily. Let alone all the cutting and adding routes based on upper mgmts calls throughout the morning based on staffing and volume. They are riding by the seat of their pants every day just like we are

Best summary of Orion I've ever heard. No way I'd ever have scratched my training route, let alone avoided service failures, if I'd ran trace.

At the same time: in another thread @dysphunktion admitted, 'optimizing' Orion probably guarantees another 20 stops a day. And really, since there's no greater optimist than the planned day, I'd guess 30 or 40 more on many routes. Smooth days are great, but man, that's a lot of extra physical wear and tear over the years.
It’s a game we are all playing our own way. Some days I throw my hands up, follow trace and fail purposefully; those are the only times I ever get bothered by mgmt. Which I am prepared for, but nobody wants to get bitched at every single day. So it’s like....ignore trace, work safer and more efficiently, get off earlier and get left alone. Or.....follow trace whistling all day, miss service, get off later and get chastised the next morning.
Welcome to UPS

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No they can’t. They aren’t smart enough. Every center I’ve been at PDS is where the biggest failure of a sup gets stuck. That way blame can always be passed on to the drivers.

GenericUsername

I’ll give you an example of what I’m talking about based on personal experience;
2 routes, one bid route one junker, that rub against each other. There is a NON EXISTENT road that Orion thinks we can use to connect 2 delivery areas. And Orion puts several stops on the junk route that we can’t access from said road; so really it belongs on the bid route, but Orion constantly puts in on the junker. You either have to catch it before you leave the building and give it to the bid route or you have to do a 15 minute joyride all the way around the route to get to delivery area for 1-3 stops.....
Next morning after the first time I encountered the issue and almost got stuck.....I walked into the preload office, sat down with the dispatch guy and literally watched him change it with a couple clicks on his computer. Watched him do it; changed the number breaks on the route and correct the problem. Literally watched him do it.
The next day I ran the bid route because dude took the day off and we had a new lady on the junker.....called me freaking out because she was almost stuck in the non existent road that Orion led her down; I called the center drove over and backed her out. Told the dispatch guy the next day and we both chuckled at the incompetence and I watched him fix it AGAIN.
Guess what happened the next day???? ORION forgot about the fix once again and this time it was a different newer guy calling me wondering how to get to 2800 Jackson. I had him meet me when I dropped air and took the stops.
ORION causes more problems than it solves.

Did they not delete the road?