Orion Forcing

blkmamba

Sad to think you think name calling and ripping on people is fun... But also you think your a nice guy..
I would hate to see how you raised your children and how they are raising your grandchildren.
No wonder why this country is so messed up. People like you thinking that name calling and putting people down is OK.
You're basically doing the same thing. Also, sarcasm is key to figuring out certain post.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Gotta keep in mind Orion is only on its second version...there's supposedly many more to come and get better as they go on...the next version is apparently 10x better than the current one...just think of 4-5 upgraded versions from now...

beefybudds

You're basically doing the same thing. Also, sarcasm is key to figuring out certain post.
I agree. I'm basically going down to his level. And I'm sorry for that.
I will take another 3 year break from forum and see what this forum is like in 2020.
Again I'm sorry for anything I said that may have offended anybody but most importantly I feel like this forum has brought out a side of me that I have worked very hard to put behind me.
Good luck to everyone and I hope that your life and others around you are blessed with many good things.

I agree. I'm basically going down to his level. And I'm sorry for that.
I will take another 3 year break from forum and see what this forum is like in 2020.
Again I'm sorry for anything I said that may have offended anybody but most importantly I feel like this forum has brought out a side of me that I have worked very hard to put behind me.
Good luck to everyone and I hope that your life and others around you are blessed with many good things.
Don't you dare leave. Too many original members are gone. Help make it a better place

35years

Gravy route
So now it places pressure on drivers to care about mileage efficiency so that you don't look incompetent especially when you decide to run it your way. Let's be honest, did we ever care about mileage before Orion? In fact, for more time allowance, guys were very casual with miles. So in the end, even if Orion itself performs poorly, UPS still wins because it has changed driver behavior.

Completely the opposite of what is happening here.
Before ORION you would be held accountable for padding miles...Dishonesty and termination that would not be overturned.

If I had run my route 4 years ago the way ORION runs it, I would have been fired.
Now...I don't care about miles; I just follow ORION. WAD. And I put on an average of 20 - 60 miles a day more than running it my way would produce. I am way over the ORION projected miles every day but since I run it 90-98% they can do nothing about it. ORION does not make the driver look incompetent. Only ORION looks incompetent and if it changes driver's behavior it is for the worse.

Man Of Brown

Gotta keep in mind Orion is only on its second version...there's supposedly many more to come and get better as they go on...the next version is apparently 10x better than the current one...just think of 4-5 upgraded versions from now...
I've had Orion trace certain stops one day, I ran it the proper way and the next day it was the way I ran it. Maybe I'm conspiratorial but I think they are collecting data. The more data they collect the more accurate the system can be. Example:

Driver leaves the building at x time, he has x NDA stops and he does the route this way. The next day he leaves the building 10 minutes earlier with 1 less NDA stop and he does this.

With enough data Orion would be able to predict what is doable based off a few key elements. Now things happen on road and delays happen. So it will ever be perfect but I can see it getting better.

JL 0513

Completely the opposite of what is happening here.
Before ORION you would be held accountable for padding miles...Dishonesty and termination that would not be overturned.

If I had run my route 4 years ago the way ORION runs it, I would have been fired.
Now...I don't care about miles; I just follow ORION. WAD. And I put on an average of 20 - 60 miles a day more than running it my way would produce. I am way over the ORION projected miles every day but since I run it 90-98% they can do nothing about it. ORION does not make the driver look incompetent. Only ORION looks incompetent and if it changes driver's behavior it is for the worse.

Missed my point. If Orion does one thing for the company, it creates a mileage target and a stop for stop method of accomplishing it. Right on the computer screen. Even if it doesn't translate to the real world, it can still be used to the company's advantage in confronting a driver of going way over miles.

I'm not really talking about the guy who follows it over 90%. If you follow it and go way over, oh well. I'm talking about the guy who stubbornly doesn't follow it and is going over miles. These are the guys they can target. UPS chases a lot of numbers and Orion compliance is one. If you don't follow it you need to be under miles.

My main point is for the driver that is interested in looking good on paper. This is the guy that knows the route quite well and can beat Orion just by visualizing their whole day in their head. This is the driver that purposely lowers his compliance to prove a point against Orion. You come in at like 35% compliance and beat Orion by 12 miles. It has a certain gratification to it.

So you basically have two camps. The guys who follow it and just don't care where the miles end up. Or the guys who choose to beat Orion by running it their way. The company is fine with both approaches because in each case, a number is reached.

When you say UPS used to go after guys more before Orion for running up miles, how did they really know unless it was excessive? There wasn't a mileage solution for the day before Orion, was there? Just asking. Was there a mileage estimate based on running regular EDD?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What does TTKU mean?
Also to say you have 2 years left at ups confuses me?
Do you know something that we don't know?
So after you leave UPS your gonna change?
If you suffer from bi-polar and your confused with what your saying I understand.
I live with bi-polar and know how it can confuse the normal thinking a person should have.
Troll him hard he deserves it

35years

Gravy route
Missed my point.
When you say UPS used to go after guys more before Orion for running up miles, how did they really know unless it was excessive? There wasn't a mileage solution for the day before Orion, was there? Just asking. Was there a mileage estimate based on running regular EDD?
I didn't miss your point.
There were mileage estimates before ORION and even before RDO/EDD.
Every aspect of the job has been time and motion studied for decades.
Before ORION you had to be able to explain why you "broke trace" if it cost you miles.
Drivers with experience could always find ways (and were expected to do so) to cut miles by not following DOL, then later EDD/RDO.

The only difference is now, by following ORION, you are doing the route less efficiently (as far as miles go) if you are an experienced driver, who knows how to adapt on a daily basis based on a myriad of factors. Now if they ask why you did it inefficiently, you just have to respond that you are following ORION.

Management has always fiddled with the numbers to pressure drivers into running faster to make their production quotas.
Now they fiddle with ORION to try to make the drivers cut miles. Left bldg time is just one technique.
The problem is that projecting unrealistic mileage numbers becomes counterproductive because drivers can't just skip break or run faster to make the mileage quotas like they can for the production quotas. So if drivers face harassment/intimidation/discipline over miles they will just follow ORION trace and break off for service failures, which is VERY inefficient and adds miles.

Some management teams are now fiddling with ORION to project more miles so that the driver is at least close to the ORION solution/projection. ORION could have been a useful tool if it had been implemented as an alternative, rather than setting up hard and fast (85%) imperatives. I would have thought they learned their lesson with hard and fast (90%) EDD compliance when it was rolled out, which was later abandoned.

Last edited: