Orion warning letters

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ah, that clears it up. I knew it was bad, but I didn't think breaking trace for a couple packages could ruin an entire day.
I would say depends on area the route covers. On rural route often if I break for an air I'll run a route completely different than if I hadn't had that air.

Why waste 20 miles driving back when everything is resi and I can just loop back to it later?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I would say depends on area the route covers. On rural route often if I break for an air I'll run a route completely different than if I hadn't had that air.
So help me understand, if you don't mind, how it works with air. Do they set it up so you get all your NDA off first and then you start everything else? Or do they mix some ground in too between the air stops?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So help me understand, if you don't mind, how it works with air. Do they set it up so you get all your NDA off first and then you start everything else? Or do they mix some ground in too between the air stops?
I don't have it but I have friends in other centers that do. It's my understanding they mix in as much ground as they can.

This is why you hear people complaining about Orion wanting them to deliver a 7500 ground resi in the middle of their air.

clean hairy

"Of course I will be happy to run what Orion Dictates! Then you can give Warning Letters to Orion for creating service failures!"
Watch the poor Mgnmt person stare at you confused, as it does not compute! Watch carefully for little puffs of smoke to come out of their ears as their brain is suffering overload from hearing common sense, and does not know how to process the information!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If they ever pulled that crap by handing out just 1 warning letter, they will be in for a rude awakening at Peak this year. They better hire more drivers and start a new category called OM's (Orion Missed) because I'll be bringing back a whole shelf of OM's on Xmas eve because I'll be 100% ODO.

You don't give people warning letters for Orion when they force it out of our diads after Thanksgiving because it's worthless.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Why waste 20 miles driving back when everything is resi and I can just loop back to it later?
That's why Orion has to be able to update the dispatch after every stop.
AI technology and more powerful hardware will enable this.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Also they base their Orion miles from the morning trace. It doesn't account for On Demand Pickups, misloads, traffic, air meets, etc. that happen everyday.

I can't find 2000 when I open the bulkhead door. I sure as heck ain't finding 6238 !!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I will try to explain. It assumes your start time is say 900am, It assumes you will leave the building by 920. It assumes you will be at your first stop at 930. Any deviation from that assumption you will have to skip something in the line up...Just like in edd now air is marked.
they say they give you 20 minute cushion, but if you leave building late you are behind.
1. 120 1st st 0+10
2. 140 1st st 0+20
3. 150 1st st 1+2 (and the two are on shelve 7400, and your truck is bricked. You cannot get to those 2 for 150 1st street, thats a break and will be a break when you go back and get it later, that =2 breaks and you only have 3 stops off. And if you deliver something else on 1st st, later that is the time to get those other two pkgs, as if you are on the same street it adds miles, but is not a break)
4. 135 2nd st 0+6 loaded in the 6000 section, cant get to them skip=2 breaks
5. 120 main st 1+0
6. 1100 newton rd 1+0
7. 1600 easy st 1+0
8. 1900 oak st 1+6 check details the 6 are on floor 4, you cannot get to them
9. 1430 oak st 1+0
10. 6930 wellington 1+0, security gate, takes 5 minutes to get in.
It is now 910 and you get an alert, and all the other 6 stops they wanted you to do dropped down, now you run your arse off to get four more air off .
Now you got the air off. Now you study your board and say wth do I do now. If you go back stop for stop you will be running to four ends of your route again, adding miles. If You are an analitical wizard, or have the same fancy machine they carry, you might know how to fit it all back together hours later. So now you are behind the solution. You will be behind the 8 ball all day.
And then it is time for pick ups, and you are behind the solution, so you have to break and try to figure out where to go back and start again, after those are complete.
But now its rush hour, if not just a busier time of day, and it is taking you from 320 sycamore to 530 sycamore, which would be great except you know it makes more sense to finish up the 300"s in the section you are in than to keep crossing a 4 lane highway to make a stop. number breaks dont matter to Orion.
And then you think Ok I got this, I just might make it. And you get an oca, 9 miles round trip. So you try to start near that to follow the sequence of Orion. That doesnt work, because now you need an air meet, and it is a7 mile pull r/t. About this time
You say screw it, turn on rdo and do it like you used to.
Then you get a letter LOL.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks for the really detailed explanation. I have 0 experience with Orion. Just what I've seen in my center. Sounds like they need to make it a lot more powerful to make it work.
Before I got Orion, I didnt pay any attention to these threads, because I like any technology that makes my job easier. I figured everyone was being whiny. Hoping that any input you are getting will make you more knowledgeable when you get your ride, and make them fix things. Once they are gone they are gone like a freight train, and no one can fix it but them. It really give me nightmares. I dont mind thinking to help make something work. Thats my problem I still think about the customer, the service failures, and what time I might get home. Put all that aside, run it like a blind dummy and you will be fine. LOL

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The problem is 1 break could make the rest of the day make no sense at all so yeah 15 breaks could be a huge deal.
Exactly. If you have to break trace for a business saver, it would make sense to deliver that whole area instead of breaking off for 1, coming back to where you were, then going back to that section later during ORION trace.

box_beeyotch

Exactly. If you have to break trace for a business saver, it would make sense to deliver that whole area instead of breaking off for 1, coming back to where you were, then going back to that section later during ORION trace.

I was told if you deliver the same street as the previous stop it is never considered a trace break, also it doesn't matter if it's east 2nd st or west, that's also not a trace break. The whole thing is a guessing game.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's why Orion has to be able to update the dispatch after every stop.
AI technology and more powerful hardware will enable this.
It's all about justifying more stops/packages per vehicle, by eliminating miles, regardless of any other variables.
Until they can develop technology that can adjust the load when it "updates the dispatch", we will be chasing our tails.

UPSGUY72

There is a simple solution follow it 100 percent. Only make a trace break in order to make service on a Air package. They can't have it all if you follow ORION your going to get paid a lot more than the couple of miles they save on gas that they say they shaved off the route.

PT Car Washer

It's all about justifying more stops/packages per vehicle, by eliminating miles, regardless of any other variables.
Until they can develop technology that can adjust the load when it "updates the dispatch", we will be chasing our tails.
Adjust the load when it updates the dispatch? Have you ever worked the preload the last 10 years? Get it out of the trailer, on the belts and into a package car as fast as possible. Don't worry about load quality or misloads or finding all the add/cuts. Just get off the clock and the drivers out the door.