Our Fantastic Healthcare

vantexan

You are going to pay a nice chunk of change for anything you get through the ER (unless you're admitted to the hospital).

The last time I had a reason to be worried about my health, I was going to the ER. I don't know why, but it dawned on me to call a doctor first, and I called one that I'd never used before. The lady said they could see me in an hour. After all the tests, we were going over what my insurance probably would and wouldn't cover and she told me how much it would might cost me. I joked with her about the cost and said that maybe I should have gone to the ER instead. She laughed and said, "If I'd known you were looking to spend THAT much money, I would have charged you more!" Her advice to me was anything they do in the office will cost between double and quadruple if it's done in the ER and to go there as a last resort.
I recently set up with a local doctor. My appointment was 3 weeks after making the appointment, the earliest any doctor in this town was available. And the appointment was made before I went to the ER. Tough town to get medical attention.

!Retired!

Her advice to me was anything they do in the office will cost between double and quadruple if it's done in the ER and to go there as a last resort.
If you look at the original post, it sounds as if the pain was going on for a while. I would have gone to the doctor first.

P.S. Van...I hope it was nothing serious and you're feeling better now.

vantexan

If you look at the original post, it sounds as if the pain was going on for a while. I would have gone to the doctor first.

P.S. Van...I hope it was nothing serious and you're feeling better now.
Appreciate it. Actually woke up feeling it, didn't go away by the time I got to work, mgr said no problem go to E.R.. Doctor said most likely muscle issue.

TUT

Not true. Obama promised unions they would be exempted but then screwed then over.

And that was public unions not private.

One excuse companies used on raising deductibles a couple years back was the Cadillac Tax that still hasn't come into effect yet. It is a tax an employer has to pay if you plan is valued at 27.5k per year or more. You can see what your plan is worth on your W2 under 12 DD, it is probably well under 27.5k and always was, it was a ruse, they just wanted to gain additional gains on their health care costs. That is now the problem with new laws even those that are made to protect us, it allows companies to rethink its position and then blame the new law on why they are taking it to us. Same thing happened with the Enron Pension law around 2005, companies gutted pensions stating they can't conform to the new rules. If you are a party liner you blame the prez right? Well in this case pensions gutted under Bush. Deductibles skyrocketing under Obama. It's because the corporations are running the show and want more, which all ultimately goes back to stock reports.

fatboy33

Had chest pain that wouldn't stop about a month ago. My wife insisted I go to the ER. Left after a little less than 3 hours, blood work done that determined no heart attack, a pain killer administered intravenously knocked the pain out. Just got a statement from Cigna that says it all cost $2870, of which I'm responsible for $1858. Way to go FedEx, pay us just enough to live paycheck to paycheck then give us healthcare that puts us in serious jeopardy if used. Looks like another monthly bill.
There're thousands of Cubans who are happier with their healthcare system. You say they have very little in Cuba but does it matter if, after a serious medical situation, a person has to live paycheck to paycheck. Hand to mouth, so to speak. Its the same difference, the end.

vantexan

There're thousands of Cubans who are happier with their healthcare system. You say they have very little in Cuba but does it matter if, after a serious medical situation, a person has to live paycheck to paycheck. Hand to mouth, so to speak. Its the same difference, the end.
If we had the Cuban system we'd have hundreds of millions whose lives are stifled. Innovation would be stifled. Dissenters jailed. I may live paycheck to paycheck but I have the freedom to move about, worship as I please, quit my job if I like. Be care what you wish for, cradle to grave gov't control is a poor substitute for the freedom we enjoy. Russia today has it's problems but they had it much worse under the Soviet Union. And millions have risked their lives to leave Cuba, not a ringing endorsement. You can't seperate their healthcare out from the greater system, it's all about gov't control of their lives.

bacha29

Vantexan is right. However if smaller government and less control is what is truly desired then the first thing that has to be done is to reduce the demand for government services. As for the ACA one of the key drivers behind it's creation was that without it the small rural hospitals would be dropping like flies and the nation's rural heath care network would cease to exist.

overflowed

If we had the Cuban system we'd have hundreds of millions whose lives are stifled. Innovation would be stifled. Dissenters jailed. I may live paycheck to paycheck but I have the freedom to move about, worship as I please, quit my job if I like. Be care what you wish for, cradle to grave gov't control is a poor substitute for the freedom we enjoy. Russia today has it's problems but they had it much worse under the Soviet Union. And millions have risked their lives to leave Cuba, not a ringing endorsement. You can't seperate their healthcare out from the greater system, it's all about gov't control of their lives.
Hey Van. Who do you like between Cruz and Trump? Just curious not trying to be an ass. You guys seem like an earthquake divided you.

dvalleyjim

When I was coming up we had healthcare paid by the company we worked for. It was cheap and good, Never even thought about healthcare. Now 30 years later no one can afford healthcare, no jobs and 20 trillion in debt. This will lead to economic collapse. keep voting Democrat.

overflowed

When I was coming up we had healthcare paid by the company we worked for. It was cheap and good, Never even thought about healthcare. Now 30 years later no one can afford healthcare, no jobs and 20 trillion in debt. This will lead to economic collapse. keep voting Democrat.
Is this comment directed at me or just whomever in general?

MassWineGuy

Van, according to my CIGNA plan info, only the third ER visit within one year costs $500. It's the same across all levels of CIGNA coverage.

My individual deductible is $1,850 a year and $4,800 out of pocket max. FedEx starts everyone out with $700 to help offset the deductible (plus $100 more apiece if you and your spouse/partner/whatever take an online health assessment). This lowered my deductible to around $900.

I recently completed cancer treatment, so it was not hard meeting both limits. Paying for it will be less so, although my $2,700 FSA will help.

MassWineGuy

Perhaps, Van. But I find it thoroughly nauseating that a country the size of Cuba has an infinitely better and more equitable health care system. If we're so great, why do we let our citizens starve or die in the streets? And here, if you dissent too loudly you risk being harassed by the FBI, IRS or other agencies.

vantexan

Perhaps, Van. But I find it thoroughly nauseating that a country the size of Cuba has an infinitely better and more equitable health care system. If we're so great, why do we let our citizens starve or die in the streets? And here, if you dissent too loudly you risk being harassed by the FBI, IRS or other agencies.
They don't have an infinitely better system. Where are all these dissenters being harassed by the FBI? And unlike many countries, we have agencies to help the homeless, etc. If people die in the street here, it's usually a mental health issue. Every country in the world has it's issues. IMO our's is we're too expensive in many areas which makes it tough to get by. Too many countries though wish they had that problem. There's no perfect place and the grass truly isn't greener elsewhere. I've been looking at living overseas for close to 20 years and what it comes down to is finding a place that has an infrastructure that is tolerable considering I'm coming from a place with great infrastructure. There are only two areas where developing nations can compete with the U.S. that I've seen: costs and climate. Some places have incredibly nice climates and are affordable. One has to decide if limited infrastructure, widespread poverty, and often safety issues are worth living cheaply in a mild climate. I've found a very nice city with very good internet, safe, good food, friendly people who mostly speak English fairly well. Climate sucks but more importantly wife doesn't want to go. They have a national healthcare system too. But I don't want to leave because I hate the U.S., which too many of our citizens seem to do. Just want to retire with dignity.

vantexan

Van, according to my CIGNA plan info, only the third ER visit within one year costs $500. It's the same across all levels of CIGNA coverage.

My individual deductible is $1,850 a year and $4,800 out of pocket max. FedEx starts everyone out with $700 to help offset the deductible (plus $100 more apiece if you and your spouse/partner/whatever take an online health assessment). This lowered my deductible to around $900.

I recently completed cancer treatment, so it was not hard meeting both limits. Paying for it will be less so, although my $2,700 FSA will help.
Actually your co-pay is $500, but that doesn't mean the first E.R. visit is completely paid for, or that you won't pay more than $500. Talked to a Cigna rep, was told after deductible is met would only have to pay 30% of costs until hitting the out of pocket max. The problem is that on my pay getting hit with $1800+ really stings, especially when we used to only have a $100 annual deductible with the rest covered by the insurance(and no monthly payment for the employee).

MassWineGuy

I've read lots of good things about Panama City.

If Cuba has such a poor healthcare system, it's hard to see why the U.S. Falls far behind in infant mortality. I mean, for a nation of screaming, rights-stomping Commies, you'd think they have witch doctors.

vantexan

I've read lots of good things about Panama City.

If Cuba has such a poor healthcare system, it's hard to see why the U.S. Falls far behind in infant mortality. I mean, for a nation of screaming, rights-stomping Commies, you'd think they have witch doctors.
You frame the argument unfairly. Cuba isn't full of "Commies", it's controlled by Communists. At it's height most citizens of the Soviet Union weren't card carrying Communists, but they were controlled by that party. Let me ask, does Cuba develop life saving medicines for numerous diseases and conditions? Does it invent technology that allows doctors to diagnose and treat illnesses? Furthermore is it under the observation of the World Health Organization? If not then any claims about it's infant mortality or whatever are suspect. I'm sure their doctors do a fine job with what they have. But their system tells people what kind of treatment they can get, when they can get it, and limits how much they can get. That's the difference between their's and our's. But without a doubt our system needs an overhaul. Obamacare isn't what it needed because to cover the poor it put the costs on others. It's a huge drag on an already hurting middle class.

bacha29

VanT: What do you think should be done with the poor who have no insurance and no money but also need healthcare? Should health care become the exclusive domain of the wealthy elite?