"Our Mission is to Help Small and mid-size Companies"

InsideUPS

UPS CEO David Abney - "Our mission is to help small and mid-size companies compete with the large retailers and e-tailers. It's much bigger than one company, and we are leaning in and it's working."

UPS CEO talks about holiday shipping, drones, Amazon threat

The above article appears on Cheryl's news feed and caught my interest as I continue to watch UPS lose customers to FedEx. I recently spoke with one of our long time drivers that informed me that he just lost an 800 piece per day pickup to FedEx. The shipper informed our UPS driver that although he likes this particlular UPS driver much better than the FedEx driver, he was disgruntled with the lack of customer service UPS was providing him for his shipping needs. Calls to UPS customer service were not returned, etc. while FedEx customer service was very cordial and attentive to the shippers needs in a variety of ways.

Ever since we (UPS) have had a reduction in local customer service representatives, we have lost many accounts to FedEx. These cost cutting moves only serve to overwork existing customer service reps that are not from our area (national account reps, etc.) and whom eventually develop an apathetic attitude about retaining business.... much less attempting to acquire new business accounts. We truly are a company that is "penny wise and pound foolish" in many ways. Many times Corporate UPS is simply out of touch with smaller feeder centers. Mr. Abney's mission statement from above is simply hypocritical IMHO based on what I see and hear. Also, our weak position in international growth (reference article) is also a direct result of poor customer service issues IMHO.

Drivers can only do so much to sell our services. Why should a driver sell a service through sales leads that we cannot "deliver" on or is not backed up by an excellent customer service experience? Mr. Abney, please bring back a strong customer service experience to our business as the only thing we have to sell is service. If you're not able to compete cost wise with our competitors , the very least you can do is provide a better service experience at the higher cost we do charge.

Staydryitsraining

I really hate to be bearer of news but, we just got the best contract ever. Our 3q was a home run. Profit is up, volume is up. Were still friends with Amazon. Fed ex on the other hand has been whispering to sell their air division since 2018. Their profit is tanking and they wasted 4 billion on that European company that is burning money. Best contract ever!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
UPS CEO David Abney - "Our mission is to help small and mid-size companies compete with the large retailers and e-tailers. It's much bigger than one company, and we are leaning in and it's working."

The above article appears on Cheryl's news feed and caught my interest as I continue to watch UPS lose customers to FedEx. I recently spoke with one of our long time drivers that informed me that he just lost an 800 piece per day pickup to FedEx. The shipper informed our UPS driver that although he likes this particlular UPS driver much better than the FedEx driver, he was disgruntled with the lack of customer service UPS was providing him for his shipping needs. Calls to UPS customer service were not returned, etc. while FedEx customer service was very cordial and attentive to the shippers needs in a variety of ways.

Ever since we (UPS) have had a reduction in local customer service representatives, we have lost many accounts to FedEx. These cost cutting moves only serve to overwork existing customer service reps that are not from our area (national account reps, etc.) and whom eventually develop an apathetic attitude about retaining business.... much less attempting to acquire new business accounts. We truly are a company that is "penny wise and pound foolish" in many ways. Many times Corporate UPS is simply out of touch with smaller feeder centers. Mr. Abney's mission statement from above is simply hypocritical IMHO based on what I see and hear. Also, our weak position in international growth (reference article) is also a direct result of poor customer service issues IMHO.

Drivers can only do so much to sell our services. Why should a driver sell a service through sales leads that we cannot "deliver" on or is not backed up by an excellent customer service experience? Mr. Abney, please bring back a strong customer service experience to our business as the only thing we have to sell is service. If you're not able to compete cost wise with our competitors , the very least you can do is provide a better service experience at the higher cost we do charge.
an 800 piece bulk stop, i bet that was the happiest day of that drivers ups career

The Milkman

Many years ago each center had a rep. Then little by little they were shared amongst other centers, Then the sales lead crap started so you could earn points etc. With international growing you never had enough time as a driver to help shippers fill out the proper forms, even with the template things were still sketchy. You arrive at your pickup running a bit behind, now they need help that further backs you up. Then in the morning they bust your chops for your over/under numbers. I wonder why? Turning in sales leads that are never followed up on frustrates the shipper and makes us look bad when they ask when a rep is going to call. Then UPS loses accounts and wonders why. DUH!
Then drivers stop turning in the leads after trying to sell them on our service etc. I was embarrassed many times and gave up on wasting my time. What do you think would happen Board Members when you reduce the Customer Service Reps? What a bunch of Stooges

Returntosender

Service!!
6BE4FA5A-CCB8-447D-9CB7-D53DB84B382C.gif