Over 70’s being disciplined

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Flipping/sliding packages IS one of the methods in proper lifting/lowering... “use equipment of facitlities to assist”. Slide and/or roll it back the package car onto the handcart then take it to customer.
That is for packages <70 #
handle an over 70 without help, you aren't following the methods or the contract.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
handling over 70's according to UPS....

Attachments

• pds.jpg
    pds.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 154

CitizenTruth

OP, in all seriousness, do you have a physical impairment? I assume you don't, after all, the center manager thought you should be able to do it yourself. Are you required? No. At the same time, a 73 lb pkg shouldn't be any problem for any driver that doesn't have an unusual condition. Even an irregularly shaped one. We all handle 150's by ourselves. Not trying to be mean.

It's also crazy that you ultimately got seriously hurt after all this. Plus you've got a list of grievances a mile long that puts a big target on your back. I've been with UPS 12 years, I've never filed a grievance. Interestingly enough, I'm never bothered.

Here's a 123 lb little girl deadlifting 545 lbs for your inspiration.

Who are you to judge what someone can or can't do? That's the problem with people these days, everyone knows what's best for someone else

CitizenTruth

Are you there to work and earn money? Or file grievances? We have a "few" people like you at our center. Seeing as you have 30-40 grievances to file thats pretty crazy. I have delivered +70 pound packages without an issue, i had to deliver a freaking mini recliner up 3 sets of stairs, man up and deliver the stuff and stop being a rulebook.
But if you screw up all ups does is talk about rules, the reason why this is such a horrible place to work is because union don't stick together like mgmt does, show me a rat sup go against another rat sup

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Are you there to work and earn money? Or file grievances? We have a "few" people like you at our center. Seeing as you have 30-40 grievances to file thats pretty crazy. I have delivered +70 pound packages without an issue, i had to deliver a freaking mini recliner up 3 sets of stairs, man up and deliver the stuff and stop being a rulebook.

People like this are the reason our union is in the shape it is in.

Dracula

Funny thing is im off the radar and getting paid and i love my job. So none of what you guys say bothers me really. I go to work and make an honest living. Also i voted. I also am not afraid to enforce the contract, there is a big difference between being a baby and enforcing the contract, I'm not gonna file a grievance unless i need to, me and my steward have a good relationship and if i have to i will. So before you old farts get your diapers up in a wad, chill out.

Let us know what parts of the contract you feel we can enforce. Or which parts we can ignore to “stay off the radar”.

Show me a driver that talks about staying off the radar, and I’ll show you a driver with Shortcut as his middle name.

Dracula

I agree with you.....guys who are like this are nothing more than ambulance chasing employees. They're like Biblical Phrases.....running around with the contract in hands, skimming the fine print to find some vague word to file a grievance, piss everyone off, inconvenience other employees etc. As you've said, are you there to work? Or are you there to file grievances.....sounds like he needs a different job.

The contract is there for big things and big trends. If a supervisor helps break a package jam on the conveyor belt or picks up a box that fell off the belt it would be ridiculous to file a grievance. If supervisors are loading trucks every day and not hiring employees then that is when a grievance should be filed.

When you decide which parts of the contract are okay to enforce and follow, you’re saying the contract means nothing. The contract is there for ALL things.

watdaflock?

Ya it’s completely bull even though I posted the pictures of Diad message.. I’ll let you know how it goes after my grievances are heard and I contact a lawyer..
First post said you did ask the prego lady to help, but the supposed diad message says you refused.

Get your story right.

Oceanview

First post said you did ask the prego lady to help, but the supposed diad message says you refused.

Get your story right.

I said in the message I wouldn’t ask but I ended up asking because I felt bad that this customer wouldn’t get their package. I figured maybe if i asked I could push it out the truck and him and a friends could bring it inside if I explained the situation to them. Turned out the customer was a pregnant women.

Dracula

He was a complainer . Never could just come in and go to work with out BITCING about something. And then Grieve something . Put a target on himself.

I’m guessing he didn’t care if he had target on his back.

It’s been my experience that the people worried about that only get in the grievance pool one toe at a time.

Usually, because they’re worried about getting wet. If you’ve got nothing to hide, you’ve got nothing to be afraid of.

There’s nothing more irritating than a driver that runs his ass off, taking every shortcut in the book, then one day, he takes it in the short and curlies, and remembers he gets something in the mail every month from the Teamsters.

Then he asks one of us, “Hey, how do I file a grievance?”

This is the guy who will find out he doesn’t like getting wet.

Zowert

I’ll tell you how to sheet it:
Day one: Non-Deliver, Not in, attempt 1, scan info notice, stop complete.
Day two: Non-Deliver, not in, attempt 2, scan notice, check.
Day three: Non-Deliver, not in, attempt 3, scan notice, check. Then tell the clerk there’s a package for them in your truck when you get back to center.

Or... Non-deliver, refused, didn’t order. Easy way to get terminated either way. You buried management in grievances, of course they’re going to look for any way to get rid of you.

Dracula

To the OP, I would say this: you better be consistent about the over 70’s. If you need help, call for help, as the contract stipulates.

But don’t just do it when you get a wild hair, or when you’re pissed. You want management to know when you request help, you mean business.

As others have pointed out, taking your lunch at the end of the day, is a red flag, and against the language of the contract.

This leaves me with the suspicion that you could be a “shortcut” driver, and if file as many grievances as you say you do, you could find yourself in trouble.

You can’t just decide which methods you will or won’t follow; otherwise you won’t be standing on firm ground. UPS’s methods are a driver’s best friend.

Oceanview

Get your story right.

I said in the message I wouldn’t ask but I ended up asking because I felt bad that this customer wouldn’t get their package due to management trying to punish me. So I went and asked

Oceanview

To the OP, I would say this: you better be consistent about the over 70’s. If you need help, call for help, as the contract stipulates.

But don’t just do it when you get a wild hair, or when you’re :censored2:. You want management to know when you request help, you mean business.

As others have pointed out, taking your lunch at the end of the day, is a red flag, and against the language of the contract.

This leaves me with the suspicion that you could be a “shortcut” driver, and if file as many grievances as you say you do, you could find yourself in trouble.

You can’t just decide which methods you will or won’t follow; otherwise you won’t be standing on firm ground. UPS’s methods are a driver’s best friend.

What is a short cut driver?? I take all my apartment packages to the fd. They don’t like me because I don’t take short cuts.. thats why I take my lunch at end of day because otherwise I’ll have service failures.. but if you’re all that upset about me taking my lunch late when it doesn’t effect anybody then I will take it when I’m supposed to. I’ll talk to my steward about it. But I see my steward take his 50 at the center as well.

Why would anyone take a shortcut on this job idc about 60+ hr weeks. They suck but I don’t really care my fiancé is a stay at home mom/ft student. I just don’t understand how you think I’m a short cut driver when I take the time to ask for help on all over 70’s

Oceanview

But don’t just do it when you get a wild hair, or when you’re :censored2:. You want management to know when you request help, you mean business.

What is a short cut driver?? I take all my apartment packages to the fd. They don’t like me because I don’t take short cuts.. thats why I take my lunch at end of day because otherwise I’ll have service failures.. but if you’re all that upset about me taking my lunch late when it doesn’t effect anybody then I will take it when I’m supposed to. I’ll talk to my steward about it. But I see my steward take his 50 at the center as well.

Why would anyone take a shortcut on this job idc about 60+ hr weeks. They suck but I don’t really care my fiancé is a stay at home mom/ft student. I just don’t understand how you think I’m a short cut driver when I take the time to ask for help on all over 70’s

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

throw that :censored2: in the driveway and drive away

what what

Dracula

I didn’t accuse you of anything, and trust me, I’m not upset. I don’t think you understood what I was saying. You can do whatever you want.

What I WAS saying, is that taking your lunch at the end of the day raises red flags. You say you do it that way so you don’t have service failures. That is the very definition of a shortcut.

You are doing management a favor by taking your lunch at the end of the day. If you took your lunch during the period most contracts dictate (usually between the 4th and 6th hours of the day), and you’re going to have service failures, then that’s management’s problem, not yours.

The reason the designated lunch period is in the contract is to protect drivers just like you. Sounds like you’re over-dispatched. Again, their problem, not yours.

You SHOULD ask for help on over 70 pounders. But the most important thing in this job, IMO, is to follow their methods exactly, every single day.