Over 70’s being disciplined

Siveriano

To OP dont bend a knee.
a similar situation was going on with me.
I decided to enforce the contract and when from verbal warning to notice of discharge in 10 days but i did put pressure on both UPS and the union for a hearing and got it in 24 hours after the NOD, explained my case and the company want to settle for 1 day suspension but the union told them no so now i have to wait for arbitration but the good new is that my manager got off my back.

Follow the book, communicate and dont bend a knee.

PS. I do request help to deliver 70+ if i feel that ill struggle too much to do it myself. better safe than sorry.

Nike

So I had an over 70lb package last week that i didn’t attempt I sent a message at 16:15 requesting help for the package. I was told that there was no one to come help me and instructed to use my hand cart. I sent a message saying that I can’t safely put the package on a hand cart. I was told to continue delivering until they found someone. So I let 35mins go by and send another message requesting help on the over 70. I didn’t get a response, so I continued to deliver for another 10 stops out of the 20 I had left. I finally get a message saying to have the customer help me load the package on my hand cart and deliver the package. So I drive to the stop knock on the door and it’s a pregnant women In her 2nd trimester. I askes her if she could help “work as instructed” she laughs and tells me no. I told her I will finished my other 9 stops and come back when Ups sends me help. So I leave and deliver the rest of the packages I have minus the over 70. When I finished my last stop I sent a message asking if they were going to send me help for the package or how they would like me to sheet it up.. I waited 15-20mins for a response but never received one. At this point I decided to bring the package back to the center. I find a steward”witness” and bring him in the office with me and ask how they want it sheeted. I was told to sheet it as missed. Okay awesome. Take my 50 and then punch out.

The next morning I have a posted note Saying for me to find a steward and speak to the center manager. So we go up stairs to talk to the fat doughnut eater and he tells me I could have delivered the package w.o any help. And that he is taking this to panel to have me terminated. No verbal no warning letter just straight panel.. over kill right??

So needless to say I went to deliver the package that day and got hurt.. flipped over my handcart and messed up my left leg. I now have nerve damage from my left knee down. Went to the E.R and everything..

So what grievances can I all file? Law suit maybe?? I’m currently on taw but they have me driving and not doing office work. So I’m basically driving a driver around as he completes his stops.

Btw our center manger was instructed to settle all grievances b4 the new contract goes into affect. I have about 50 or more grievances for supervisors working. About 15-20 grievances for non seniority drivers driving on Monday’s. Also about 30-40 grievances for air drivers delivering ground packages. I feel they are trying to fire me so they don’t have to pay me on these grievances. Not to mention I have 10 grievances for harassment from supervisors and 3 grievances on center manager for harassment.. is there any legal action I can take? Or should I just stop filing grievances?

Any input is welcomed even you jokesters

Since I know this is goin to be asked the package weighed 73.8 lbs (box weight) and labeled said 71lbs and it was a freezer.

damn bro that injury you took carrying it sounds painful :speechless:
I feel yah asking for help, sometimes those posted weights are inaccurate, whos to say the weight was way more than 73? It aint like we got scales in the truck.
Also sometimes the design or packaging of what is being sent is such that carrying it without two people could be risky or dangerous.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The essential job functions do not include any handling of packages over 70 pounds. There are no safe methods for handling over 70s alone; when you are hurt, you are at fault when you didn't ask for help.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Preload it is ok because we have an even surface to slide irregs into the car. But I very often get help for everything if my body hates me that week.

Should have stuck to your guns. If not. Just dump it out the back and destroy it to the doorstep.

Observer

File grievance using the Article 44 like the one guy stated. It states "get assistance for over 70". File on the jerk who stated he was having going to panel. What does your BA state about center manager not following the contract? You did everything right. Sorry about the guys who state to man up - it's not a case of weakness. You asked for assistance and the company ignored your request. The company needs to follow the contract. Some hubs are notorious for deliberately having sups working etc. and when you do file harass - which is another grievance. Good luck.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
File grievance using the Article 44 like the one guy stated. It states "get assistance for over 70". File on the jerk who stated he was having going to panel. What does your BA state about center manager not following the contract? You did everything right. Sorry about the guys who state to man up - it's not a case of weakness. You asked for assistance and the company ignored your request. The company needs to follow the contract. Some hubs are notorious for deliberately having sups working etc. and when you do file harass - which is another grievance. Good luck.
I'm not telling him to suck it up. He has a right to do whatever but you've also got to be smart about it if you're gonna last 30+ years.

Don't piss into the wind and then complain when your pants get wet. That's the lesson here.

OrionsBitch

Not...
Funny thing is im off the radar and getting paid and i love my job. So none of what you guys say bothers me really. I go to work and make an honest living. Also i voted. I also am not afraid to enforce the contract, there is a big difference between being a baby and enforcing the contract, I'm not gonna file a grievance unless i need to, me and my steward have a good relationship and if i have to i will. So before you old farts get your diapers up in a wad, chill out.
I agree with you.....guys who are like this are nothing more than ambulance chasing employees. They're like Biblical Phrases.....running around with the contract in hands, skimming the fine print to find some vague word to file a grievance, piss everyone off, inconvenience other employees etc. As you've said, are you there to work? Or are you there to file grievances.....sounds like he needs a different job.

The contract is there for big things and big trends. If a supervisor helps break a package jam on the conveyor belt or picks up a box that fell off the belt it would be ridiculous to file a grievance. If supervisors are loading trucks every day and not hiring employees then that is when a grievance should be filed.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I have a few questions.

I find a steward ”witness” and bring him in the office with me and ask how they want it sheeted. I was told to sheet it as missed.

Was it an OMS that you talked to ?

They aren't management.

There used to be a non-delivery exception in the diad for over-70's.

If not, it's missed with over-70 lbs in the remarks column.

The next morning I have a posted note Saying for me to find a steward and speak to the center manager.

You should have ignored that.

If the company feels the need to talk with an employee, it's their obligation to

come find the employee and Steward.

Your center manager punked you.

Since I know this is going to be asked the package weighed 73.8 lbs (box weight) and labeled said 71lbs and it was a freezer.

I have about 50 or more grievances for supervisors working. About 15-20 grievances for non seniority drivers driving on Monday’s.

I can see where this is going.

So needless to say I went to deliver the package that day and got hurt.. flipped over my handcart and messed up my left leg. I now have nerve damage from my left knee down. Went to the E.R and everything..

Coincidence.... Or, bad circumstances ?

So what grievances can I all file? Law suit maybe?

How about an update.... as the case progresses ?

-Bug-

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Over 70? Dump off the rear of the truck and go. Moving it is their or management's problem.