Over/Under Dispatch numbers

PT Car Washer

Run your nuttz off in the beginning then slow it down after you get your 30 days or whatever the case is for your area. As long as your doing the job like your supposed to be doing it, they cant touch ya at all.
I agree, but that does not mean you won't be in the center manager office explaining why you are so slow. Can be a very intimidating time for a new driver and they know that. Best advice, BE SAFE and they can't touch you as long as you give an honest effort.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I agree, but that does not mean you won't be in the center manager office explaining why you are so slow. Can be a very intimidating time for a new driver and they know that. Best advice, BE SAFE and they can't touch you as long as you give an honest effort.
Totally agree PT

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Every time you deliver a package your dispatch changes. The dispatch the computer shoots out at the end of the day is based on packages delivered in different areas. So lets say your delivery area for your bulk route is all 2400, but then you run some misloads to 2600, it adjusts your dispatch accordingly. What it doesn't credit you for though is miles. So it will give you the time allowance for the stop. But not going from the 2400 area to the 2600 area. If that makes sense.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You go out you do the job like your supposed to and it is what it is. All they are is numbers and that's all they will ever be anyway. Their not made to work in your favor. The cards are already stacked against ya with a system that doesn't work anyway abd is severely flawed and then you got HELLEN KELLER and STEVIE WONDER loading your truck lmfao.

It just shows how out of touch your mgmt is... I've been 6.5 hours over before... Delivering a cage car, picking up a couple bulk stops on the way in... Take out another bulk car... Helping 2-3 drivers... Before you know it, it's 18:30 and you've only done 52 stops. But you've worked your ass off.

theslinger

Been driving for about 2.5 years and I learned to say this: either I work safe or I cut corners to meet my numbers but I will not work safe. I tell them "You get one or the other but you're not getting both". After a few secs of letting the hamster in their head run on the wheel,I just walk away. They don't bother me for a few weeks . Then its rinse and repeat. ;)

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Thanks for all the advice and responses guys. Clearly this is nothing new to all the vets me being a tcd for a little longer than a month is the only thing that had me concerned. I know better than to worry about numbers but i just wanted some ground to stand on. Thats why i wanted to know if any of those things are accounted for when they look at under/over
And you only have to put up with that nonsense for thirty years.

platinum9898

The numbers are fictional. That's just the way they train management to get the most out of their drivers. Nothing ever good enough trust me you're doing great.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Simple say "I'll try better tomorrow" and walk away. There numbers don't matter and you will always be a :censored2:ty driver to them. Unless you kill yourself then they will let you run all you want and use you like a puppet.
I just tell them...Doin' the best I can boss while trying to be safe. Then walk away.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Just remember that the GPS is watching your every move. If you coded a half hour lunch and the package car did not move for 40 minutes, they know. Same with breaks.

Keep it safe, give them a good day and watch your down time. If you do that, those numbers mean squat. The union does not recognize UPS numbers anyway.

A lot of drivers stick out like a sore thumb. UPS then goes over the GPS data, and if they find major discrepancies, follow the driver to observe. The discharge letter usually says something about dishonesty, stealing time.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Funny, we never hear about the company checking to make sure employees aren't working off the clock during meal periods. Why isn't that number reported in their little printouts? Backs, trace, bulkhead door, everything under the sun but that.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Funny, we never hear about the company checking to make sure employees aren't working off the clock during meal periods. Why isn't that number reported in their little printouts? Backs, trace, bulkhead door, everything under the sun but that.
Because every company loves free labor.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

elivering a cage car, picking up a couple bulk stops on the way in... Take out another bulk car... Helping 2-3 drivers... Before you know it, it's 18:30 and you've only done 52 stops. But you've worked your ass off.
Did you scan all that bulk? If you did you should get time credit for all of that and your overallow wouldn't be so high. The only other thing would be DT Load and Unload which would drop it quite a bit. The big thing that a lot of guys do too that kills their allowances is not enter their Leave and Return to building times and punch in other cars. I don't get it. You're killing your own time allowances and hurting your chance of making bonus (if you are in a bonus center like I am.)
They cannot explain, or defend the numbers.
It's not that hard to explain. Each area has a certain time allowance and that time adds up to your dispatch.
Funny, we never hear about the company checking to make sure employees aren't working off the clock during meal periods.
We get a warning if drivers work during their break. But then those same drivers just end up saving their entire break for the end of the day. Why is beyond me. If I have the right to take a break, I'm going to take it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The "time allowances" were never intended to be fair or realistic in the first place.

They are intended to create a "standard" that can only be met by working off of the clock.

Once you have embraced and fully accepted this fundamental truism of UPS, your career will be much less stressful and things will make more sense.

BUCN85

Thanks for all the advice and responses guys. Clearly this is nothing new to all the vets me being a tcd for a little longer than a month is the only thing that had me concerned. I know better than to worry about numbers but i just wanted some ground to stand on. Thats why i wanted to know if any of those things are accounted for when they look at under/over
I'm newer as well and if it makes you feel better I was asked why I was over the day of a snowstorm. Lol

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I was a package driver, we had the daily OR (operation report) printout every morning showing every drivers performance the previous day. A lot of drivers couldn't wait to see how they did on paper compared to everybody else. When I realized the numbers were total BS, I made it a point never to even look at the OR or listen to the bad mouthing by management at the start of every day. "What happened yesterday, bud?" Don't be that guy. Do what you can do. Don't base it on their bogus numbers. You will never meet their lofty expectations.